Thread: lunch??

Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lunch??

how much do you give.

at the moment mine have a sandwich ( 2 slices of bread with filling), sausage roll or crackers with either ham or cheese on ,, then they have a peice of fruit then a youghut or cereal bar or peice of cake for dessert,,
    would you think this is enough for a 3.5yrold and a 4yrold, they dont ask for more food and parents havent said they need more I just wonded what everyone else gave?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

sounds fine to me.

mine are all 2 and under & small eaters, so have 1/2 a sandwich each, or small sausage roll, toasted sandwich or whatever. a couple of pieces of cucumber, cherry tomato, slice of pepper etc. then some yogurt ( about the amount in a small fromage frais pot ) and some fruit. sometimes a biscuit or little cake ( and i make tiny cakes in the the tiny cases! )

we might have a small bowl of soup, or baked beans with toast. sometimes a little baked potato.

no one asks for more, and they don't always eat everything either!

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds about right I think. Mine have either something like beans on toast/scrambled egg on toast/cheese toastie/veg soup and a roll/ sandwiches - then fruit and maybe a yoghurt - I would rather give them more beans/soup/sandwich etc than snacky stuff or yoghurt every day - no one complains so I think its ok

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sure I read on a website ages ago - no I can't remember where now (In the days before I bookmarked stuff lol) that a child's portion should be about the size of their clenched fist.
    I've tried it out on my nieces and nephews when I have them, and it seems about right. If they are still hungry I then offer fruit/yoghurt/2nds etc

If anyone can remember the site name I'd be grateful for the name again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie H View Post
    I'm sure I read on a website ages ago - no I can't remember where now (In the days before I bookmarked stuff lol) that a child's portion should be about the size of their clenched fist.
    I've tried it out on my nieces and nephews when I have them, and it seems about right. If they are still hungry I then offer fruit/yoghurt/2nds etc

If anyone can remember the site name I'd be grateful for the name again
    Twinkles posted one recently called little people's plates, don't know if that's the one you were thinking of?

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    how much do you give.

at the moment mine have a sandwich ( 2 slices of bread with filling), sausage roll or crackers with either ham or cheese on ,, then they have a peice of fruit then a youghut or cereal bar or peice of cake for dessert,,
    would you think this is enough for a 3.5yrold and a 4yrold, they dont ask for more food and parents havent said they need more I just wonded what everyone else gave?
    Sounds fine to me, my older ones would ask for more though!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It sounds about right to me, this is what we give our 3 and 4 yo's.

The problem I have is the older ones (after schoolers) and I am seriously looking into the meal situation. I give them a cooked meal followed by pudding but all of them have another meal when they get home, so why do I bother, I think maybe a snack is what we should be giving them but they all say they are starving when they get in from school.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

The problem I have is the older ones (after schoolers) and I am seriously looking into the meal situation. I give them a cooked meal followed by pudding but all of them have another meal when they get home, so why do I bother, I think maybe a snack is what we should be giving them but they all say they are starving when they get in from school.
    The older after schoolers I look after are the same - they all have a cooked lunch at school but say that they get the same portion size as the younger children and it's not enough. Seems school meals are facing cutbacks too!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!