Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our reception children are encouraged to be as independent as possible almost right away. Adults are allowed in for a week or so at the start of term to help the child learn the routine. Then, unless there are exceptional circumstances, children are expected to manage alone. The TA's will help/encourage if needed. Most 4/5 yr old's can hang up their coat and put a lunch box and bag away. It just takes them a little longer to do it alone!! (BUT, they all learn very quickly!)
    Our little mindee's must be within sight or hearing at all times, and it can be very difficult, so I would take mindee inside anyway, esp if its 10-15 mins you are in there for! I do the pre-school run 3 days a week and have to take a 10m and a 2y mindee in as they have 'circle time' to which the parents/carers are invited too, it can be a pain but the LO's feel left out if they are one of the few that are alone. The only way round it that I can see is if there is another minder there to and you can come to an arrangement with written permission from parents, even then I not sure its strictly allowed as it isn't an emergency?

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for so many replys

Hi Ladies

Thank you all so much for your replies. Its interesting reading them all. I did omit to say that there is always a staff member on the door who watches over any buggys. We are a small village with a small school and most of the mums I know well so I have no problem in leaving my own son outside the classroom.

I can't remember who said "why are you spending 10-15 minutes in the classroom". I totally agree it is ridiculous it seems to have slipped recently and I hate going in as most of the mums stand around chatting and are in the way of us childminders trying to rush in and out. I think I will speak to reception teacher and say that I can't come into the classroom, can watch them from the door putting coats up but nursery and pre-school could be difficult, will have to think about that one.

Thanks once again for the help.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't understand why parents/minders have to take their kids into school and sort coats, lunches, waterbottles.

At our primary school the bell rings, kids line up and in they go with the teacher.
    Parents are discouraged from entering the playground at all.

4 and 5 years olds should be more than capable of hanging up their coat and putting their lunch bag on a table!!

Even if my school did have the same requirements as yours i would be tellng them that i am unable to assit with coats etc as i have other kids in my care and i would let the kids/teacher get on with it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

im really sorry but if that was my child you was supposed to be looking after i would withdraw them immediatly as stated mindees have to be in hear shot at all times no exceptions and reading your post yopu are leaving this mindee outside for 10-15 minutes a day out of sight and hear shot all i can say is your lucky you have not been reported sorry you might think im being harsh but its my opinion

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a minder who was reported for leavibg lo outside school class which was a porta cabin with steps only. Ofsted came down on her hard, under no curcumstances can children be left out of hearing and sight

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    In our reception class you are expected to take the child in to the area outside the class room, help them hang coats up, put lunch boxes on the stand etc then take the child plus drinks bottle into class room, put bottle on unit in there and reading folder in childs drawer before depositing said child on the carpet where teacher is waiting - its a nightmare . There isn't room for parents etc never mind pushchairs! I'm afraid mine have to be taken from me at the door, I can't get in with pushchair and there is no way I am leaving lo's outside.

Its crazy because half the children then cling to parents (particularly when they first start) and it takes ages to get them all settled. Would be much easier if they just went in when the bell goes and teacher/teaching assistants sorted them out!!!

Rant over

I agree with this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand the parent's point of view , I wouldn't want my baby left outside - you wouldn't leave a baby outside a shop would you ? Just because its a school doesn't mean its safe unfortunatly . I agree with other posters who have said that you must have the baby in your sight at all times . You need to speak to the teachers and if they cannot arrange to collect child from you at the door you will need to rearrange your childminding before you get a complaint
    Wishing you all the best

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a parent or another cm who you are good friends with who could stay with the pushchair while you go inside so there not left unattended?.
    I'm sure mum would be happy with that, I know it's difficult and all schools are different etc but it only takes one person to make a complaint against you for leaving lo unattended and you'll be in it up to your neck which I don't think you deserve, hope you manage to come up with a solution that works for you all. Xx

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, each of my drop offs are different so...

My dd is 6 and in yr 1. On my busiest day I have 4x3yr old and under and her. On this day I stand at the door with buggy with 2 children in and the other 2 holding on. I give dd her bag and she knows she must put lunch bag, then coat, then bag away then stand at her classroom door and wave to me so I know she is ok and going in. She then would sort her water bottle and bookbag. I started this with he in year 1. I told the teacher I needed her to be more independent as it wasn't easy for me to bring all the children in. They have been fine with it. It was difficult in reception as I literally would get all the kids out of the buggy and have them all hanging on to me at various angles and that class was furthest from the door too - my son will be there next year. I am anticipating difficult times! I wouldn't leave the mindees though. Just leave the buggy and struggle! Get them to walk as soon as they can. Have them on reins if too quick for the slower ones etc - do whatever you can - it doesn't take long really and its much better to take them all than to leave anyone behind. On quietest day I have a 2yr old, 3 yr old and dd for school run in the am. Then we all go in with her.

For 3 yr old mindees pre school I can wheel buggy right up to door, mindees peg is near the door (full glass so I can see at all times) and then he goes in.

For 3 yr old sons pre school they let you take the buggy right in so not a problem.

BuggsieMoo Guest

My daughters school do not allow buggies into the school (besides the playground). However, if I need to go into reception, I take baby and buggy inside. If I have the double, I park it right by the door, buzz, open door, hold it open and talk to receptionist there (even if I need to shout - usually gets her coming to me ) with my other hand on the buggy. We have stay and play on a Friday (which mindees also come to). Buggy is parked outside, baby comes in with me and then we leave at the same time, I do not go back into the classroom and if daughter wants another cuddle she comes to her doorway (each class has its own mini area of play space outside fenced off) and she gives me a cuddle then. At 5 she knows I will not leave the baby unattended. In the mornings, her teacher stands at the gate and I give her a kiss and cuddle then and off she tottles. From day 1 she has been expected to be independant and the teachers do not want all the parents in the classroom as they want to start their day.

When she was at nursery, if I had the baby and she feel asleep I used to wheel her into the building - tight squeeze but tough, I could still see her then. If she was awake I would get her out and take her in, she loved meeting everyone inside as well.

All it takes is a few seconds to be out of your eyeshot or earshot and something could go wrong. I wouldnt want that on my conscience.

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot believe you are are wondering how to reply to parent ,how about SORRY i should never have done this , i think you are lucky the parent has not terminated contract or contacted Ofsted.I would never leave any child in a buggy outside,a 5 year old should be capable of taking their coat off and hanging it up

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, you should not leave a child outside in a buggy.

I also think that it is poor of the teachers not to have been able to get the children "trained" in what they need to do by this stage in the academic year.

When my DD started we came in the first week. Then I had to take my own DS in in my arms as I would not leave him outside.

After that week they did what the rest of the infants do. Line up when the bell goes. Wait for teacher to come out then file in... The old fashioned way! LOL
    Sure some children needed a little support with taking coats off and putting things away but the teachers and TA's handled it.

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

No couldnt leave mindees anywhere where i cant see and/or hear them - I base everything on worse case scenario - it drives hubby crazy sometimes - but my kids and mindees are as safe as they can be as i dont put them in any situations like this which is asking for trouble. So you have R.A that nothing is going to happen to them while you go inside? You must have a crystal ball then

I would consider all of these problems when initially deciding if i could take on more children etc

sorry if a bit blunt but this is a thing that winds me up and as a CPO i take things very seriously - most parents like that..
    XX Jill XX

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but i wouldnt leave a child in buggy or car for a minute, too risky

Could you ask a friend or another minder to take children into school. or chat to head teacher about finding a solution?

It's difficult, as i wouldnt want to leave little ones but then would want to make sure older ones were safely in their classroom.

Must agree was easier in the 'olden days' when we took children into playground, they lined up then went into school with their teacher

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In answer to your replies

As a new childminder, I realise I have been totally niaive about leaving the children, partly because I don't want to have to wake them up and partly as they get left by the door where there is a member of staff watching all buggies for mums and carers. I can see through the doors at all times as most of the foundation building front is glass, just on one morning when I drop a little boy into nursery which is through another door.

I think my 10-15 minutes was slightly out, its probably more like 5 minutes, just seems longer!!! I have as of today told all my parents that I will be seeing their children into the main classroom door and thats it as I have to be able to see the buggy.

Once again - thank you all so much for your constructive help - apart from Karen M - as your reply was unneccessarily rude and unhelpful.

The mum in question is more than happy with the care I give her children (lo and one in reception) and was constructive in her criticism and is very pleased with the changes I have made.

Post Thanks / Like

So glad that you have found a soloution that suits everyone
    Its a learning journey this job . Good luck and best wishes

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

me too, it's not easy doing school runs. Good luck

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karen m View Post
    I cannot believe you are are wondering how to reply to parent ,how about SORRY i should never have done this , i think you are lucky the parent has not terminated contract or contacted Ofsted.I would never leave any child in a buggy outside,a 5 year old should be capable of taking their coat off and hanging it up
    I think this is to the point, not at all rude and very helpful indeed.

If that was my child I would expect an apology and if I didnt get it I would consider making a complaint. I really dont think I would be leaving them with you again until I got an assurance that it absolutely wouldnt happen any more.

I dont agree that having a teacher on the door means children are necessarily safe. Teachers may get distracted talking to other parents or may not know whose child is whose. I understand that as a new child minder there is a lot to learn but this could have been a very steep learning curve!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to leave my little one at the door in his buggy with the teacher watching and within my sight - but the teacher was his mum

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough I had the opposite situation this week of a parent suggesting I leave LOs in the car outside during a nursery drop off due to the bad weather.
    She meant really well and I know was trying to be helpful, so I am not criticising in any way, what shocked me was that she said other CMs were doing this.
    Regardless of Ofsted and rules for a moment, I don't care how inconvenient it is, or how wet we all get, or how disrupted one nap time might be, or heavy the child is....I would never, ever forgive myself if anything happened to a child in my care and I do not want that on my conscience. Better a wet grumpy child and a bad back than the unthinkable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast