Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just seen an advert on freecycle for some of these....the local pet shop is giving them away...if anyone wants some it might be worth asking at your local pet shops if they have any going spare I'm going to get some next week but I need to read up on how to look after them

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I would love one! I'm in Witney so would be able to come and get it. And the biggest obstacle - my husband - says I can have one!

How big does the tank need to be? how secure does it need to be (lid)?
    Do they need cleaning out - slime on glass? Can you leave them for a weekend or so? So many questions sorry!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I did a lot of research and trial and error with mine as first of all we were getting loads of fruit flys in the tank with the soil we were using which although are harmless to the snail are not nice for us. That meant I was having to clean it out all the time. Then mine went into hibernation as he got too cold. Anyway eventually I have found the ideal living conditions for him.
    He is in a cheap plastic fishtank, the lid is vented.
    In the tank I use Cocoa Fibre (you buy it in a dry brick from pet shops and soak about a 3rd of it in water. It turns into soil which I use in his tank about 3inchs deep all over. I am about to change this soil but it has been in there for about 4+ mths now.
    I also buy dry sphagnum moss. Again you wet it and it swells up. This helps to retain moisture. I put some of this up one end of the tank.
    Make sure the soil is sprayed with tepid water probably twice a week to keep it moist (not soggy)
    I feed mine cucumber and tomato. At the moment he is on a growth spurt and is eating about 3/4 cucumber per week. He is about the size of a tennis ball at the moment.
    Put a cuttle bone in for his calcium.
    I also put a small dish of water but I don't think is essential.
    Don't leave the tank in direct sun or on the other extreme near an open door / window.

They are dead easy to look after and if you went away for the weekend he would be fine to be left as long as he has been sprayed and fed before you go.

xxxxx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

ewwww no thanks

I am not far from you either haha

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

just a thought, are you on facebook? there is a Aylesbury selling and wants page you could put an advert on there, also a high wycombe one If you want PM me your facebook and I'll add you and link you too

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for my beautiful snails! I am sooo happy
    DD is totally in love with them and we named them 'shelly' and 'Snailsbury' my daughters first comment when we arrived in Aylesbury to collect - is this Snailsbury? Thank you x

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh bless her you are more than welcome hun

Jun-11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

If posting is possible, I would also love one

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123