Registered Childminder since
    Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Help asap! regarding travel expenses

Hello!

Need some advice again!

I've had some parents come round tonight, and they live 7 miles away. They have asked if I can pick up their LO 3 days a week. As it's out of my way, I was wondering how I charge for this as I've been reading that we can't charge for petrol? Is this right? If so, does this mean I'm supposed to grin and bare it and pay the petrol myself? As drop off will be during rush hour as well!,

Really confused and unsure what to do, need to let them know ASAP of fee's.

Thank you so much in advance!!,

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CJstar View Post
    Hello!

Need some advice again!

I've had some parents come round tonight, and they live 7 miles away. They have asked if I can pick up their LO 3 days a week. As it's out of my way, I was wondering how I charge for this as I've been reading that we can't charge for petrol? Is this right? If so, does this mean I'm supposed to grin and bare it and pay the petrol myself? As drop off will be during rush hour as well!,

Really confused and unsure what to do, need to let them know ASAP of fee's.

Thank you so much in advance!!,
    You could charge a collection / pick up fee. I don't personally charge for pickups/ collections to / from the home but I do charge collection / pickup fee's to / from the school.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The best way is to work out how long it will take from leaving your home to you getting back home and charge a higher hourly rate for that time.

7 miles is a long way. Have a think about the following before you agree:

Impact on you, your children and mindees being in the car for the length of time you will be, in the cold or if it is very hot.

What if your car breaks down before you leave or on the way or way back?

What if the weather changes particularly snow?

My children were at a school 4.5 miles from home. normally a 10-15 min easy drive. One day late in Jan 9 years ago I set off to collect as normal, as I parked the car it began to snow, 15 mins later when we got back to the car it was so deep and coming down so fast I couldn't keep the windscreen clear I just had to get in and drive using the wipers. It took us from 3.30 to 5.30 to get to mindees house (drop off 2mins from our flat) normally there by 3.35 and waiting for mum to get home. Then the 2mins on to our flat took over half an hour. Not an experience I would want to encounter as a result of taxi ing a mindee somewhere where I wouldn't normally go. Extreme I know but it happened in West London using main roads not even out in the sticks!

You need to think about very wet, very cold, very hot, fog, icy, and snowy conditions.

At what point would you say you couldn't travel? What would happen to mindee if they were still with you?

Personally it is not something I would ever agree to do on a regular basis. On as an occasional favour.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 28-02-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've said to parents that if it was bad weather or car trouble and I could pick LO up for whatever reason, that I wouldn't charge for that day.

Pick up is for 6:30 and I don't currently have any mindees at that time. So it would just be me going. Drop is the same at the mo, but in future it may mean taking another mindee with me. But, parent has said that drop off will be negotiable, as she's a nurse and will be in, so it can be brought forward or pushed back a lil. I've said this may happen if causes problems with other mindees picking up times.

I've only recently become a childminder end of jan and getting children has been slow so far. I have one at the moment, and this other one would only be a Thursday and Friday but full time hours. I would of said no had it of been for only 3-4 hrs etc.

Thanks for your replies!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I would seriously consider the things that Rickysmith has brought up and perhaps get something in writing that is signed and agreed by both parties so there is no misunderstanding.

You said bad weather, what you deem as bad weather this parent may not. If it snows but you CAN drive would you risk it? Think about the nitty gritty and how things may change, what measures can be/will be put in place. At least if you do that you are both agreeing to the same terms and you both know exactly what is expected... too often I read posts where CM have one idea and parents have the total opposite causing friction.

Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, Emma,

Do you think it's worth me creating a contract purposely for pickup & drop offs, like a terms and conditions. Then having parents to sign it and we both keep a copy? Then if there are any quibbles they can then refer to contract and if they break the contract then I have the right to terminate Childminding contract and visa versa.

Thanks

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CJstar View Post
    Hello, Emma,

Do you think it's worth me creating a contract purposely for pickup & drop offs, like a terms and conditions. Then having parents to sign it and we both keep a copy? Then if there are any quibbles they can then refer to contract and if they break the contract then I have the right to terminate Childminding contract and visa versa.

Thanks
    Not sure about it being as a contract. I don't really know the legallities of it. I would write it as a policy, be clear and to the point. Perhaps get parent around to agree terms and at least you have discussed and covered the angles. I would still get parent to sign a document to say she understands.

I have a statement basically stressing that "I as a parent can confirm I have read and fully understand all the policies" (list them) and get the parent to sign that. Mine goes in to a bit more detail really stressing the fact parents know what I am saying...

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi ,
    I agree with Emma and Rickysmiths, you do need to think hard about what ifs and get terms clearly set out in a collection and drop off by childminder policy. Say your car broke down and couldn't be fixed for a week or we had severe weather conditions, your own child was ill so you didn't want to go out with them in the car etc. Can you really afford not to charge for those days? Its a different situation, but for instance if school is closed I have a policy explaining I will charge for the times children would normally be here whether they attend or not. Similarly, If weather is bad and parents can't get their little ones to me: I am still open and available so they know they still have to pay. I know the weather isn't their fault. But its not mine either and I need to pay my bills at the end of the day

In your position I'd write a policy and get it signed by parent. Also I'd charge a hefty collection fee and drop off fee, though I'd probably not take on a family dependant on me collecting. I do understand how dificult it is when you are struggling for work though

Good luck, hope you work something out.

best wishes,
    wendy

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I;ve never offered to collect from home as there are too many reasons why i may be unable to get there and therefor not work.Car trouble or even just failing MOT which mine seems to do every year without fail,bad weather or having other children arriving while you are out.What if buisness picks up and you end up with too many for your car..Think carefully about it before you commit.Can parents not drop off at yours instead?

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to Echo what Rickysmiths said.

When I first started out I said yes to collecting a child from nearby village, 4 miles away, one B road in and out. I had only one other child(after school) and thought it would be great. How wrong was I. It was fine in the Summer and whilst weather was good and no other mindees in tow. When my business picked up, the hassle of taking 2 or 3 other mindees with me, getting stuck in traffic, behind tractors, road blocked because of snow etc, unhappy mindees in car(fair enough). it became a knight mare. I was lucky that they emigrated to Canada soon after but I would have given notice otherwise. I vowed from that day on, never again. My motto now is if parents wish to use my service then they have to drive to me.(obviously some exceptions as favours). I wish you all the best with it, but do consider before you sign up to something you may well regret in a a few weeks or months if your business takes off

I charged them a flat fee for collecting which I think was £5 each way because it covered petrol, car trip for short distances, my time needed to travel etc and the inconvenience.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Collect at 6.30 I would want two hours money to do this and another two hours to drop back in the evening.

If i could not drop or collect for any reason then it would be up to the parent to get the child to me

There must be minders near where she lives
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I collect children from their homes as most of my current work is for two year old funded places. The children I care for would not be able to take advantage of this if I didn't collect. However what I do have is a robust policy which covers adverse weather and detailed risk assessments in the event of breakdown. I am lucky in that my mileage is paid for but if not I would charge an enhanced hourly rate.

I guess you have to weigh up how much you need/want the business and how much you need to charge to make it financially viable.

Collecting at 6:30am however is a whole different matter