One off overnight care
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One off overnight care

Hi - I need some advice please! I look after a 15 month baby and have agreed to care for him overnight on their parents wedding night. I am more than happy to help. We will be attending the wedding during the day and then leave when ready in the evening (I envisage early evening as I have a 22 month old and 5 year old of my own) and will take the baby then until about 1pm the following day. I have not discussed fees but assumed this would be my normal additional hourly rate of £5.00. However, mum has now asked for a figure to be agreed beforehand as this will work out too expensive for her. I am not sure what to do, as I will be taking the baby so they can enjoy their reception without worrying about him and he also wakes in the night and so I am not sure I should or want to charge less. However, I really dont know what the protocol for this is as I do not normally offer overnight care. Any advice would be appreciated ! Thankyou

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

See Im a bit soft and would probably offer the overnight as their wedding present ( save me money on that one..) and then charge my normal rate from 7-1 the next day , or time and a half if its the weekend.

sept 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you registered for overnight care if not say its your wedding present and charge for the following day

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did exactly this for a mindees parents last May! Except I drove from my and their home in Hertfordshire to the mums family home in Devon.

I left early on the Sat morning and took over care from dad at 9.30 am. I then looked after him all day so mum and dad kept him in his normal routine and didn't have to worry about feeding or nappies etc. He was 11 mths old. If fact I have just tucked him up on the sofa bed in the playroom for his sleep!

I stayed the night and he was in the room next to me but mum got him up in the morning. I left about 10am on the Sunday morning with a boot full of wine and cheese and flowers. I am a softy to, I charged them for the mileage at 40p a mile and a normal days fees.

When they had a night out to go to a friends wedding and asked if I could have him over night I got round it by my two teens who babysit all my mindees, babysitting for the night. DD 18yr had the baby alarm in her room and she got up when he woke in the morning and would have got up in the night if needed. They both gave him a bath and gave him his dinner and they both gave him his breakfast and played with him until mum and dad got back. The children negotiated a babysitting fee.

If you have no teens and you are caring then I would think you need to apply for a one off overnight Variation.

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks for your messages - I am tempted to give it as a wedding present but at 2am when up - I may regret this! I understood from my Ofsted inspection that whilst I am not registered for overnight care, I can care occasionally overnight. Have I misunderstood this? Thanks again!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't have thought so unless it was classed as an emergency and this wouldn't be. Ring them and check.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have thoought as a one off and off contract then you could class it as babysitting. Just check.

I have never slept a baby the wakes in the middle of the night. I have a set rate for when they are asleep in bed, £40, then normal hourly rate after that. But as i said this was for children who sleep through.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to make any charge at all then you must be registered for overnight care unless it is an emergency situation (and I am sure that most of us wounldn't charge then anyway).

I charge £30 per night 7pm - 7am and normal hourly rate around it.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I once babysat at a wedding evening, so I had a group of 5/6 children + 2 toddlers, and for a few hours I was paid £80.
    So they would pay a lot a lot for an entire night with a normal rate babysitter.
    For a wedding day, I would charge £5/hour minimum during day in week, £10 min during a weekend. After 7pm I would charge more, (£10 in my case) and for the night I would charge an overall price of at least- 11pm-7am- £50/60 depending on age. (More for an under one as more waking ups)

My advice would be not to underevaluate your service, and try to have the best bargain you can. Unless they are your personal friends as well and you want to make a present.

In the end I think the more you give, the more parents may want to take out of you in the future. I do not think this is a question of fairness, rather of nature's laws. They may respect you better if you do charge them. And you may feel better in the end, knowing that you haven't made yourself work for nothing.
    Although I do respect some wanting to make a present. Especially if you have known them for a while and you have had their child for some time.

BUT, I personally would still charge a lot.