What do charge those who work shifts?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do charge those who work shifts?

A friend of mine wants to start a family and is looking into childcare options at the moment. I said I would ask on here for her to give her an idea of her options, they would prefer to use a childminder.

The hubby works full-time days and she works shifts so they need childcare for the following hours:

Week 1
    Monday to Friday - 8am-3pm

Week 2
    Monday to Friday - 12pm - 6pm

How would you charge for this?

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would just charge my usually hourly rate as this is almost full time.i usualy offer 4 weeks free holidays but would reduce this to reflect the fact that they arent full time and i offer a free meal for every 4 hours of minding and charge for any additional ones so if they require more than one meal then i would charge for this too.but i know im considered quite generous to my parents so this might not be what anyone else does

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Most people would view that as taking up a full time space, it is highly unlikely you would find someone who needs the 'opposite' hours therefore I expect most cm's would charge full.
    However some might like the idea of having some quieter sessions and come to an arrangement and agree a set fee, or a half fee retainer for the hours they don't use.

If I was asked about this, I would probably charge them the 7 hours a day for both weeks, even though the second week is six hours a day, which I would feel is fair considering they are taking up 10 hrs a day for that space.

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

tbh ive never had a straightforward enquiry from anyone using my service and im advertised as flexible and start early in morning than many other cm so this is how ive done so well getting folks in the door

Your situation would not suit me time wise as i would be on the school run at 3.00 so they would need to pick up before or after 3 in that case I would say 3.30 pick up.
    as for charging as long as they pay me a minimum of 5 hour daily that is fine but i would prob do an enhanced hourly rate because of the different shifts each week

I think it also depends on work in your area because i would rather have some work however complicated than none!
    XX Jill XX

jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try to charge all the hours everyday, explaining why and pointing out that they can use the place when they want even if do not work. This way is best for you as far as money is concerned, and is fairer I think as well. If they cannot pay I would try and find a compromise, overall price that would satisfy you.
    At the end I think the most impt thing is that you are able to have a smile on your face when you look at this contract.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge my short day rate which is £25 for up to 7 hours. I would do this for both sets of hours and wouldn't mind losing the extra bit. (I charge £30 for a full day)