Reservation deposit
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reservation deposit

I have a teacher asking for a place for her two children come September when she starts back to work after mat leave.

I did wonder about charging a retainer fee, but then realised her younger child is under 1, as is my daughter - so the place isnt available anyway until my daughter turns 1 in August.

That ties quite nicely into when she wants to start, but obviously im thinking about my security from a money point of view. September is a long way off and my concern is her plans/circumstances could change between now and then - I say, yes start in Sept, and she changes her mind come Sept (I've allocated a place to her which she doesnt then take up).

So I then thought i'd charge a reservation deposit, part of which would then count towards first payment of fees - a reasonable amount to take into account the amount of time i'm allocating place to her.

She's wanting to confirm asap, as do I in writing on the NCMA contracts, but ive noticed that it states 'should a registered childminder not have a vacancy, but expects to have a spare place available in up to 12 weeks, this place may be reservable'. (Yes - I want to reserve her a place, but Sept is obviously far longer than 12 weeks). It also states 'date vacancy anticipated - within 12 weeks of contract date'.

Does this mean I cant sign contracts until 12 weeks before start date? as my daughter turns 1 in Aug, the place will be available then - so I cant do anything until May? So thats 3 months without any cover if i allocate now, where the parent could potentially pull out?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are happy to wait until September then I'd take one month's fees (for both children) as a deposit - you can either then offset this against either the first month's fees when they take up the place or the last month's fees when the contract ends.

If the parent changes her mind then she forfeits the deposit (make sure she is aware of this - really it needs to be written into the receipt).

The contract can be filled in later.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a childcare acceptance form that I do when i take deposit...you could do this then nearer time fill in contract ?......if you send me your email add i will send you a copyx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

it's a tricky one hon as you DO have a vacancy now but not for an under 1. it's a lot of money to lose. her other child would presumably be able to be accommodated now?

anyway, I would sign contracts now, taking a full months non-returnable deposit.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha Twitchit View Post
    i have a childcare acceptance form that I do when i take deposit...you could do this then nearer time fill in contract ?......if you send me your email add i will send you a copyx
    Would you mind sending me a copy as well please; as i'm in a similar dilemma. Thanks

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agape Childcare View Post
    Would you mind sending me a copy as well please; as i'm in a similar dilemma. Thanks
    I came on here to post exactly the same thing!!

I have 1 parent wanting me for school pick ups from Sept and hols, another wanting hols only from Oct half term. I have decided to concentrate on after school and hols so I am happy with this.

My dilemma is also what to charge as a deposit, to offset or keep as non refundable. Just at the stage where they have 1st refusal on the places and will be contacted if another enquiry comes in first.

I don't want to frighten them off but need security as effectively I can't take on any new business now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbonnet View Post
    I came on here to post exactly the same thing!!

I have 1 parent wanting me for school pick ups from Sept and hols, another wanting hols only from Oct half term. I have decided to concentrate on after school and hols so I am happy with this.

My dilemma is also what to charge as a deposit, to offset or keep as non refundable. Just at the stage where they have 1st refusal on the places and will be contacted if another enquiry comes in first.

I don't want to frighten them off but need security as effectively I can't take on any new business now.
    I wouldn't offer to keep a place unless a deposit was paid - I just think once people have to part with money it sorts out those who are serious about wanting the places from those who can't make up their minds.

I take a one month's fees as deposit (non refundable if the place isn't taken up) and offset this against the first month's fees. I am always paid monthly in advance too.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha Twitchit View Post
    Please could you send me a copy of this letter?

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i signed contracts in January for a September place (last year) and took a deposit there and then. I think the 12 weeks is just a guideline hon
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got