I am worried my prices are too high!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am worried my prices are too high!

I have just registered in November. I had a lady who came and visited a few wks ago and she liked my house and seemed pleased with my paperwork etc...so I gave her a parent pack to take home and read and I have heard nothing back from her.

I had another lady ring me yesterday and she asked me to text her my prices, which I did and have heard nothing back.

My fees are:

£4.00 p.h incl drinks, snacks and trips

Then extra for meals:

50p breakfast
    £1 dinner
    £2 tea

Do you think I should include food within the £4? I have a feeling this may be putting people off when they could find another minder who would have meals inclusive of their prices.

Thanks

May 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya

I'm £4.00 ph and includes all meals and snacks and also activities. All of mine are away for dinner at their own house.

I would suggest find out what other CM in your area charges. We all charge the same price at our CM group and find that works for us all. Good luck xx

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My fees are probably about average or just above for my area. I get quite a lot of calls from people wanting to know my prices and I never hear back from them. Sometimes I can clearly tell from their reactions that they think I am too expensive. I think there will always be parents who are looking for rock bottom rates, it is just one of those things. It took me almost 4 months of filtering through lots of enquiries but I have now managed to fill all of my spaces.

What I am trying to say is that it might be worth persevering for a little longer before you start dropping your rates. If you sell yourself too short now you might regret it later once business picks up!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say keep your rate at £4 an hour but make meals inclusive. You can always claim the cost of food as an expense and it reduces the tax bill at the end of the year. Also easier than charging for food and then the child does not eat it and then the parent complains about having to pay.
    I charge the fees upfront and it would be a real pain trying to sort out the meals as well
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

im £3.50 an hour without any food!!!! good luck in filling up!

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge at the upper end for my area and include lunch, regular outings, snacks, etc. I do charge extra for breakfast and dinner as I don't want to do them. However, the two nearest minders charge the same and I believe I offer more and come across as more professional. I haven't had trouble filling spaces and I get a lot of enquiries. I have found that having a really good blurb for the FIS list which includes my website (which I've had lots of compliments on) leads to most of my work. As long as you aren't charging way above everyone else I'd focus on advertising what makes you unique and a really great place for kids to come. HTH