Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default College paying fees

Morning all

I have a child who is currently with me half a day a week at present, but when mums college course starts in April she will be coming all day. College will pay the fees from her course start date. My contract is payment in advance but college pay in arrears, so i'm guessing I will need to change the contract to accommodate this and also put some sort of wording in there that mum is responsible for payment should the college not pay? Any advice happily welcomed as have never been in this situation before

Thanks all

Jac
    Water a child with love and praise, and they will bloom!

Registered Childminder since
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't amend the contract. I would expect mum to make payment to keep it in advance but would refund her any excess at the end. Colleges are notorious for being problem payers and some students can be very lackadaisical about chasing the college to make payment if they see it as not their problem
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

3. Likes lynncjt liked this post
    Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Are u sure the college will be paying in arrears? As when I was paid it was always in advance? I would add to your contract about the days and hours changing but wouldn't worry about stating the parent has to pay. As the contract is between you and parent anyways.

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oxfordshirecm View Post
    Are u sure the college will be paying in arrears? As when I was paid it was always in advance? I would add to your contract about the days and hours changing but wouldn't worry about stating the parent has to pay. As the contract is between you and parent anyways.
    I'll check this out and see wbat they say, thanks

aug 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a minded child whose mum goes to college and they pay me in arrears monthly.
    And should the college not pay you for any reason the mum is liable as long as it is her who has signed the contract and not the college, i know this because i had problems with another mum and checked with legal at NCMA.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
    I wouldn't amend the contract. I would expect mum to make payment to keep it in advance but would refund her any excess at the end. Colleges are notorious for being problem payers and some students can be very lackadaisical about chasing the college to make payment if they see it as not their problem
    Totally agree with this! I had a similar situation where mum dropped out after a few weeks and then college did not pay! So glad I had made Mum pay in advance!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with previous posts. I get sad and tired of reading threads here from members who have been scr3w3d over by college arrangements. They pay when they like, if they like, and take every excuse not to pay at all. I know this from my DD's NHS/uni experience. These institutions love to attract applicants by offering childcare support, and when it boils down to it they just want to wriggle out of any commitments.

Your contract has to be with the mum and must be as watertight as a duck's bum, or you might as well forget about being paid.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never accept payments in arrears anymore, I had a parent who was doing a uni course and I was looking after her son for nearly 2 months before they actually paid and even then it wasn't the full amount. I gave notice in the end.

It is obviously your choice, however, you are opening yourself up for this happening to you. I always ask for payment in advance, I don't mind a couple days in arrears on occasion.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default College

I got a child who's mom goes to college and I'm payed a month in arrears I have him 2 half days it a bind

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have a college mum too - they pay me every 2 weeks in arrears but have been late many times - a few week ago they were due me 5 weeks pay and I never know on pay day if it will be in or not!!

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh sounds like a nightmare! Im doing this for a very close friend too! Doesn't sound very positive