Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stingy private school educated mindee

I have a mindee which has been with me for 2 weeks now. She still hasnt signed the contract. She is not happy with paying 1/2 pay for the holidays. She is trying so hard to strike a deal with me. Its so frustrating. What is wrong with these people they pay thousands a month on private education but when it comes to childcare she is moaning I charge 80p higher an hour than her previous childminder. She even asked me what Ofsted would say if she spoke to them about me charging her retainer for the holidays lol. I told her they dont deal with finance its my business I am self employed and she said what are they there for then so I said eg god forbid you suspect your child is being abused you would call them and complain. Somethings saying this one is more hassle than its worth....

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to tell her that if she comes without a signed contract on Monday then you cannot care for her child...quote insurance purposes/ofsted recommendations.
    I had one like this and she left owing me hundreds...when threatened with court shot back with "you can't do anything as I never signed a contract!"

I know what you mean about parents...I have one who regularly brags about how much she earns and how she's moves millions of pounds around every day at work...yet can't manage to move £400 a month into my account on time...EVER!!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just lay it on the line for her, if she wants to use you then she pays what you charge.

As for a retainer the place is there for her to use, it's not your fault she does not choose to do so. But do not look after this child unless mum has signed the contract.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Money issues aside, I would not take her on if you can afford not to. Her comments about Ofsted were off side and rude. She sounds like she could be demanding and unpleasant.

5. Likes Trouble, serin liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Stingy, rude, ignorant and downright disrespectful, tell her to pay up and sign the contract otherwise goodbye.

You are doing yourself a disservice allowing her to get away with it, if she wants your service she obides by the rules - your rules! if she doesn't like it - she doesn't use you - simple as! And does the job herself!!

7. Likes Trouble, CH1957 liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be glad she has not signed a contract, it works both ways, no contract no notice period, I'd be popping a letter through her door telling her due to a change of circumstances you can no longer provide the childcare as of now. She sounds a bully and you don't get paid enough to put up with that.

In future always refuse care even a settling in session until contracts are signed.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

She hasnt signed the contract because she has no intention of sticking to it.

She is either looking for someone who wont charge her during the holidays or has no intention of paying you the half rate for the up and coming easter holidays.

Ring her today and tell her she either comes around this weekend and signs the contract if not you will be unable to continue care of the child
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No contract = no insurance = no child until it is signed.

If parent disagrees with it then parent should look elsewhere for care.

Hugs xx

12. Likes rickysmiths, CH1957, Ripeberry liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

you could explain that a contract is for both parties protection.without you could take a day off whenever you want without notice,and that could be inconvenient for her
    i have never worked without a signiture..do you have permissions signed ?? i always do it before we start.she knew your prices before she left LO with you.i personally would send her an email saying that if contract not signed before the next working day that i will refuse care so could they allow an extra couple of mins at drop off to complete the contract if they wish you to continue
    Last edited by dette; 16-03-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I work really hard to get along with parents, I have never turned anyone away (unless I don't have space obviously) or given notice and will put up with a lot, more than most people. But in this case i absolutely agree with everyone else, irrespective of her financial situation (thats irrelevant) she cannot use you unless she's signed the contract (I hope you've also insisted on fees in advance), from what you've told us I think in this case I would be inclined to say my circumstances have changed and I am unable to continue providing care. It sounds as though she will go elsewhere at the first opportunity anyway and mentioning ringing Ofsted seems almost like a threat. Good luck whatever you decide.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can only agree with all the other posts on this thread. Personally I would not have let the lo start without a full contract in place.

I'd tell her go to back to her old CM to save the 80p and to go now.

16. Likes rickysmiths, CH1957, loocyloo, serin liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, and I'd be getting rid entirely if I could afford to, she sounds like the sort to cause trouble when she can't get her own way. If I did keep her, it would also be payment in advance including for the holiday periods, just in case.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Relationships with my parents go like so:

Sign Contract
    Pay 4 weeks fees Deposit
    Pay fees in advance
    Care for child starts.

I would be contacting her and saying that unless the contract is signed this weekend as it stands there will be no care on Monday.

However I might ring my insurance Company because if she has been coming to you for two weeks with no Contract you have both been abiding by the contract and so it could be said as you have adopted it it stands because of Custom and Practice.. If you see what I mean.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 16-03-2013 at 01:16 PM.

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serin View Post
    She even asked me what Ofsted would say if she spoke to them about me charging her retainer for the holidays lol. I told her they dont deal with finance its my business I am self employed and she said what are they there for then so I said eg god forbid you suspect your child is being abused you would call them and complain. .
    This alone would make me get rid. She'll be threatening you with Ofsted at every little thing that doesn't go her way, and god forbid her child falls over and gets a bruise or something.

Has she paid any fees/deposit at all yet

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think you should be looking after the child without a signed contract. If she does not like the terms then she can take a hike! Don't ever change anything to keep her sweet. She sounds like she will take a mile.
    Most rich people are so, because they are mean with their money.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your messages. Nice to know you all have the same thoughts as me. Usually the contracts get signed before they begin but it was a quick start one so I let them take it and bring it when he begins. I need to stop doing this and rearrange a meeting with future parents to sign contracts. You live and learn. I always insist in paying a week in advance so she never owes me. Actually she did want to pay end of the month instead because thats what she did with her previous childminder but I said no thats not how I work lol. How can you work a whole month without getting paid! I have made it clear to her that she is welcome to find someone else.

The way I see it is it works both ways so if I find someone else she wont need notice so I am not too bothered if she gives it to me or not. The only thing is the permission. I think I will speak to her on Monday and if she hasnt signed I will take the contracts off of her and give her a permissions form so that way no notice period is required. If and when she doesnt pay me for Easter break she will get sent on her travels...

I dont intend to have this boy long term at all because I dont like the dropping off home at 6:30 for a fee of £2 each time because she wouldnt pay the £3 and I chose not to fight £1

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serin View Post
    Thanks for all your messages. Nice to know you all have the same thoughts as me. Usually the contracts get signed before they begin but it was a quick start one so I let them take it and bring it when he begins. I need to stop doing this and rearrange a meeting with future parents to sign contracts. You live and learn. I always insist in paying a week in advance so she never owes me. Actually she did want to pay end of the month instead because thats what she did with her previous childminder but I said no thats not how I work lol. How can you work a whole month without getting paid! I have made it clear to her that she is welcome to find someone else.

The way I see it is it works both ways so if I find someone else she wont need notice so I am not too bothered if she gives it to me or not. The only thing is the permission. I think I will speak to her on Monday and if she hasnt signed I will take the contracts off of her and give her a permissions form so that way no notice period is required. If and when she doesnt pay me for Easter break she will get sent on her travels...

I dont intend to have this boy long term at all because I dont like the dropping off home at 6:30 for a fee of £2 each time because she wouldnt pay the £3 and I chose not to fight £1
    Understood.

It looks like we all agree this client will be no great loss if she walks. Do make sure you at least get the minimum legally-required paperwork in place, see Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Requirements for written documents: childminders delivering the Early Years Foundation Stage And be very careful. As well as permissions, we should have certain child records, and proof of information-sharing with parents in place before the first childcare session. I'm concerned that the mum sounds very difficult and already has grounds for a complaint if she feels so inclined - even though everything you've done has been to help her out. She sounds like one of those spoilt rich types who'll take advantage of everything.

Personally, I'd never work without a contract. I agree that it frees you to drop her at a moment's notice. But I feel this mum will quibble about every little thing: were you planning on taking any holiday for instance? And I'd fully expect her to continue to be trouble at such time as you do part company.

Whenever a mum bangs on about her previous CM so much, I'm always left wondering, "so why are you no longer there?"

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point bunyip and I have spoken to the previous childminder briefly. The reason the childminder gave notice was because of the drop offs home I think. I did ask how they are to work with and she said they are nice people and the child is very pleasant. Obviously she wanted to get rid of them for her own reasons I recon.
    I am going to speak to her tomorrow when I drop him home and see what she has decided but I dont think I want her long term but I will definately have to get this paperwork sorted some way or another.

24. Likes Ripeberry liked this post