Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Chronic late payer???

I have just started with my first mindee - last week was his first week. The contracting process was very quick - she came to visit, he started the next week. She is a single mum and I was very foolish and told her she could pay my deposit (I take 4 weeks in advance) in installments or when she got her tax credits. I also told her I would take weekly payments in advance until her TC came through (I generally take monthly in advance). Well, last week I didn't get paid until the end of the week and the invoice I sent for this month, which was supposed to be paid on the 1st still hasn't come though even though I know she got the money through last Tuesday. She has not responded to any of my e-mails about money, said she hadn't opened my invoice when I asked if she got it and hasn't sent the e-mail she said she'd send outlining her payment schedule proposal (her TC come the 1st week of the month - she's not sure if they are coming 4 weekly or monthly). She also didn't remember to tell me that her child wouldn't be coming this Monday until I said 'see you on Monday' last week. Needless to say, I'm really annoyed already she's managed to have both of her first payments late. I don't think she's trying to scam me, I think she's hugely self-involved and isn't a very good planner. Thing is, I'd like to keep them on if I can - she's contracted for 15 hours a week (over 3 days), but only needs about 7 hours of actual care. She is a good mum and I can see she has an awesome relationship with her son.

What can I do to get her to shape up about payment? Should I just let them go? I am technically still on maternity leave for another week, then I'll have to go off as my 10 keeping in touch days will be used up. I don't know what to do. Any experience or advice would be appreciated!

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that you want to keep this customer but she needs to pull her finger out and get her payments in on time.

In my experience people who start off as bad payers never get better.

I would seriously consider telling her you are withholding care until her payments are brought up to date. You need to give her the impression that you are not to be messed with or she will (probably) walk all over you.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You can be "nice" but you need to be firm too. Explain that as much as you love your job you also need to be paid - and on time. Ask her how she would feel if her wages were paid late. Nip it in the bud now and you might be able to develop a good working relationship and if this means telling her you can't care for the child until you've been paid then do it. If you don't sort it now it will continue.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

HI ,
    I agree, it needs to be sorted one way or another, or she'll just keep doing it.

How about a friendly " I've been trying to avoid this, but I'll be applying late payment fees from x/x/x. I need to be paid on time just like anyone else." adding a regretful smile, obviously. Then hand her the notice for changes in writing.

I also wouldn't be working in arrears at all. No payment here means no care will be available (unless I have agreed something else temporarily). If I have to turn them away at the door so be it. They know this in advance.

Good luck
    Wendy

oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default late payments

I'm in exact same position, mindee been here 3 weeks now and every payment has been late. I'm too soft but it feels like mum may think I'm in it just for the money if I ask for my pay, crazy I know! She has promised to set up direct bank payment but I'm not holding my breath.
    I guess we just need more experience in this field - I'm sure we will learn fast!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree hon. don't let the debt build up. from today, she pays up to date and on time on incurs late fees. If she's more than a week in arrears then no payment no care.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    I agree hon. don't let the debt build up. from today, she pays up to date and on time on incurs late fees. If she's more than a week in arrears then no payment no care.
    Agreed... you must sit down with her and explain this is not how you work and that is impacts upon you.
    I would reissue your fees/payments policy to her and read it through.

get some open communication going - ask her if she has a problem with payments and is there anything you can do that is mutally agreeable to help resolve this.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I feel like I have been really open about money (e-mails, reminders at door, timely invoices) and I have a really tight fees policy, but it's like she hasn't read it. I will sit her down tomorrow when she picks up and go through it with her and let her know it needs to improve and that she need to communicate with me about money. I will send a letter with her as well. If she can't get it sorted this week I will terminate contract I think. I can't risk stopping MA when she seems so chaotic and unconcerned about me being paid! Such a shame - was really excited about starting!

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've done a letter and included ANOTHER copy of my Services & Fees policy. Told her I'm charging late fees as of tomorrow and is her responsibility to ensure money in my account on time. Just waiting for her to show up now

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope it all goes okay for you - let us know.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, of course, it's the banks fault I did give her the letter and told her we need to talk about money. She said she made two weekly payments last week - shockingly the money made it into my account after she called her bank when I gave her the letter. The thing is I don't charge weekly, I charge monthly. I know her TC came through last week. I sent her an e-mail stating what the remaining balance is. The thing is, I am willing to take the deposit in installments, but I need her to make a payment plan and stick to it. I'm not going to offer any more flexibility - I can feel myself wanting to sort out her money issues and it isn't my problem (must remember this!). I get the feeling that this is what our relationship around money is going to be like. I will get it eventually, but I'm going to have to nag. I'm going to give it another week and see if she sorts it out. Have suggested she can pay cash if the bank transfers are such a problem. Realistically, I don't think this one is going to last. Think I need to be making more advertising effort.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She still hasn't spoken to me about the monies she still owes. She is paid through the end of this week. If I don't have the money by Friday or a plan for when I'm going to get it, I'm ending the contract. We are 2.5 weeks into the 4 week settling-in. I've had two enquiries this week and it has made me realise that I don't have to put up with this - there will be other families. Lesson learned.

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for you hon - this childminding malarkey is hard work isn't it?! Hope you get a nice new family to replace this one with

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wendybird View Post
    She still hasn't spoken to me about the monies she still owes. She is paid through the end of this week. If I don't have the money by Friday or a plan for when I'm going to get it, I'm ending the contract. We are 2.5 weeks into the 4 week settling-in. I've had two enquiries this week and it has made me realise that I don't have to put up with this - there will be other families. Lesson learned.
    I would have lost patience with this parent - there's a limit to how many times you can talk things through with them.

I would be seeing the other enquiries and hoping at least one of them was more suitable and then giving notice to this family.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, she talked to me today about monies and has a plan for paying it - she's paying weekly until she gets her full TC on the 25th and then paying the rest she owes for deposit and November's fees. Her son was also really great today - so maybe he is settling. I am still seeing both families who have enquired this week and will make a decision once it's clear what they want and if I can do it! This is really hard!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wendybird View Post
    This is really hard!
    It is and all I can say is do what is right for you.

Good luck with it all

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Im currently experiencing my first late payer! Im a nice easy going person which is why I suppose they feel its ok to take advantage.

First term time contract, week one, on time, week 2 a day late as cat had to go to the vets and had to pay for that, the next week her partner hadnt been paid so could it be weds, the next week can get help towrads childcare from TC so can she pay on weds from now on ( no payment for last 2 weeks ) ....said will pay the 2 weeks and the 1st week of next term into my bank yesterday.......well whaddya know............nothing in my bank!!!

I find it outrageous that they expect you to look after their flesh and bllod and think its ok to Pee you off.....

very annoying as cant discuss properly at door with kids in earshot as I dont think its right to worry children about money matters but they should never put you in this position.

Im giving the money until mon/ tues to land then im putting a letter through the door saying no pay, no care and I wont be answering the door on the tuesday to take her to school

mick take when last night she was going for a chinese with her workmates!!!!

My niceness will only stretch so far, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but as my hubby says thats what alot of people are like, give them an inch and they will take more than a mile!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrr how rude people are. I would never ever expect someone to look after my child and come up with 7 different excuses of why I couldnt pay, how embarassing! dont they worry what people think of them? obviously not

rant over!!

hopefully it will land as if in a diff bank it may take a couple of days.

thankfully all my other parents are as good as gold

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I never give an inch on money matters it is embarrassing to start with tackling parents on this, but it get easier (just wish I didn't have to keep practicing )

Allie

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It really is too bad, because I can be flexible, particularly as I know it is difficult to get together so much money at the start if you are just starting back to work and need to get TC. But clearly I need to be really strict as otherwise people seem to think they don't have to pay you? I'm really good with money generally, so I just don't understand not paying or making any effort. Why aren't people more embarassed? Do they think you haven't noticed??

Anyway, the two enquiries I had are both interested and IF they both come through it would complement the days slow-payer comes and I would be as full as I want to be, so it may work out yet. We'll see if November's fees actually get paid as promised!

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I never give an inch on money matters it is embarrassing to start with tackling parents on this, but it get easier (just wish I didn't have to keep practicing )

Allie

AUG 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand where you are coming from, I have had a parent (my first and only parent) not pay me for 3 weeks, with a differnet excuse each time, in the end I just cancelled her contract, I cant afford to lose her money so seeking legal advise but I couldnt afford to continue and her to keep running her bill up any higher!!! Just be firm and give her a chance to explain or cancel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast