Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What are the parents opinions

when you raise your fees?

I've only raised mine once so far, one of the parents were fine but the other one insisted on going and checking her contract to see if I had stated fee rises in there, she came back to me and said I'd not stipulated in the contract that I would raise my fees while I cared for her child so she wasn't happy

anyone else had adverse reactions lol

Also byu how much do you raise yours? I went from £3.25 to £3.50

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are the parents opinions

Oh dear poor you - I've never had a parent say that to me before - I wonder if she never expects a pay rise whilst working for her employer

I don't think your last rise was excessive but when did you put your rates up? I only raise my fees every 12 to 18 months

Good luck

miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

I think that was a fair increase, everyone else gets a pay rise annually are we not allowed? I increase mine when i review contracts each year, mine usually goes up by 10/20p an hour - I find it easier to work out the bills when its rounded up to the nearest 10p - my brain doesn't work very well at the best of times!! none of my parents have ever commented - perhaps they are too scared!!!!

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Oh dear poor you - I've never had a parent say that to me before - I wonder if she never expects a pay rise whilst working for her employer

I don't think your last rise was excessive but when did you put your rates up? I only raise my fees every 12 to 18 months

Good luck

miffy xx
    It was about 2 years ago now that I last put mine up lol.

A parents contract is due for renewal in July so I thought maybe I would put it up, I was thinking by 15p this time which would make me on £3.75 an hour but I have 2 children frm the same family, do you think it is too much?

Post Thanks / Like

No not if you haven't put them up for 2 years.

You just have to watch that you are still comparable with other child care in your area but also don't forget that a lot of parents get help with their childcare costs

I don't think what you are asking is unreasonable

miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell this parent to get a grip! Does she live in a bubble, you could possibly care for a single child for 13 or so years. Does she expect you keep the rate the same no matter how many years you care for her child. I think she is away with the fairies and desperately needs a reality check.

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

lol Thanks all, Wendy I don't look after her anymore, she's been through 2 more childminders since leaving me 18 months ago

Minding round where i am varies from £3.50 to £5 so i'll still be one of the lowest I think

Thanks guys

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I said to my new parents when we signed contracts that I was cheaper than most in my area and they said that when we renew contracts next year I should put my prices up. They were all for it! They didn't seem to mind as the tax credits some of thier fees so it doesn't make that much difference. But what with the cost of living increasing all the time it's to be expected that our fees will rise at some point.
    Sorry this parent is not so understanding towards you, but stick to your guns, babe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: What are the parents opinions

As a parent, l have been searching for support in regards to childminding regulations and stumbled upon this site. My childminder has raised her rate by £1.00 and has not had the children more than 6 months. I now have to pay £270 per week for 2 children. l get support, therefore l have to pay £360 per month, l only earn £598, then the fuel for the 25 mile drive too work.

So tell me this why did you all start childminding as it sound to me that you are a law to yourselfs and more concerend about making money than the well fair of the children and there mum and dad. You complain when parents feel the pinch and have such a high opinion of yoursefls. Your posting are disgusting on your employees that are earning a lot less than what you are charging. And, no not everybody gets paid bank holidays or get days in liu or pay rises that match your increases, l get none of these luxerys. I have never complained to my childminder, l have had no need to until l read this site. My childminder is brilliant but she is to expensive for what l earn. I am appauled by your comments! l need to work to support our BASIC bills but would love even more to stay at home with my children. I can not afford to do either. My question to you is "What do l do!" as you seem to have all the answers.

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry if your minder has put her fees up within 6 months most of us don't do this for at least 12 months. Perhaps you should discuss your gripe with her

I must say though none of us are doing this career, as childminding is a career, for the money,we don't even receive miniumum wage.

I used a childminder myself for my son and even though I knew I would be out of pocket I still sent him there. You need to look to the future.

We are certainly not out for ourselves, do you realise the amount of work your childminder does for your children?
    Our day doesn't stop when the children leave, it carries on with endless amount of paperwork, planning and courses.

I'm sorry if you think I'm coming across as harsh I don't mean to be but I am definatley not in it for the money, if I was I would have tripled my fees by now.

Carol xx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can understand that you are very upset that your childminder has dramatically increased her fees and in your position I would be too. I think the majority of childminders would not increase their fees so dramatically or so soon.

I also have to work to pay the household bills at the moment I am working in a very stressful job. Before my DD started school she went to a childminder and I struggled to pay her at times and I only had one child going, the others were already at school but I understood that my childminder was doing a job to pay her bills too. The bills are increasing for everyone, unfortunately, and the childminders have to pay the same as everyone else.

I am registering as a childminder to give good quality care to families BUT I need the income to pay my bills. In this area the going rate is a lot cheaper than many areas of the country but the cost of living is different. As a childminder it is sometimes possible that you are only caring for one child so your income will be a lot less than minimum wage you have to plan for this. I am registering so I am available for my own children but I will care for other people's children with the same thought and care as I do my own.

Each childminder is registered as a seperate business and as such their fees and terms and conditions vary. All childminders have to work to their governing body's and the NCMA's standards but we are also trying to earn a living doing a very important job that is not recognised as such by a lot of people.

Childminders use more elec/gas/heating oil because they have to keep the house warm & light all day during the winter. They use more water, cleaning products, toilet rolls, tissues. They have to fund thier courses, pay for petrol supply food/snacks/drinks. They have to pay for insurance, public liability, business use on car and home. There are registration fees. That is before they have to buy the equipment/toys/craft stuff. There are the endless hours of planning, observations, policy writing that is a part of the standards that childminders work to. After all the expenditure is taken into account it is possible for a childminder to earn less that 5 or 6 thousand pounds in a year for a full 40 hour week (not including courses and paperwork) - which is a lot less than minimum wage. It works out at £2.40-£2.88 an hour.

I am sorry if you feel that childminders are not caring about the children or the parents but you could not be more wrong the majority will bend-over backwards as you will see if you read the posts from minders who are not getting paid for weeks/months by parents. But if childminders do not cover their own outgoings there will be no childcare because they will be bankrupt.

I hope you feel able to speak to your childminder and ask her the reasons. I am sorry that you are so unhappy.
    Last edited by tulip0803; 20-05-2008 at 11:03 PM.

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry you are upset that your childminder had put up her fees and you are not happy about that but it is a matter you should take up with her. Why did you chose this childminder? Is her service worth the fees? Are her fees in line with other childminders in the area?

I cannot add much to Tulips wonderful post but I agree with everything she has said. A lot of parents do not understand all the extras we have to pay out before we even make any money. I have actually not made a proft at all this year yet as since the start of April I have paid out more than I have earned on resources, Ofsted registration, NCMA membership, Public liability insurance, a camera to take pictures of what we are doing in order to prove I am meeting the National Standards and providing the children with a variety of experiences and a trip to Manchester to the Early Years Exhibilition to see what was available for the children I mind. This also involved giving up a whole Saturday with my family over and above the 42 hours a week I work. I also spend unpaid weekends and evenings planning activitys and completing online coursework. Why do I do all this? I do it because I love my job and I love the children. I earn less than £80 per week profit for this job. Would you work that many hours and give up that much of your free time for your job?
    Annie x

Post Thanks / Like

I find your post very offensive feml - but I think that was the intention.

You clearly equate what a childminder charges as their profit.

Hopefully the above posts have put you straight on that.

If you are not happy with what you are paying your childminder then it is her you should be speaking to.

Miffy

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you feel like that and agree with the others

I agree with Miffy you obviously have issues with your childminder so it is her you should be speaking to about this

Maybe you should get to know us all a little before judging us all in the same way?

Angel xx

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I too found your post very offensive and insulting.

I am sorry that your childminder has increased her fees so drastically, maybe you should have a chat with her about it.

Everyone's fees and terms are different as we are in different parts of the country and all offer different slightly different services. Some childminders include food and drinks and outings in their fees so may charge higher, some charge lower but the parent pays for these on top. Some parts of the country are more expensive than others.

I don't know if this will help you, it's a document I have in my welcome pack:

So, what exactly is included in my £4.00 per hour fee?

This list will give you some idea of what the hourly fee pays for (in no particular order):

 Warm, welcoming and safe environment
     My personal time and care
     Use of toys and equipment
     Child’s Daily Diary – 0 to 3 years
     Time spent planning activities and themes
     Time spent observing children and completing reports
     Time spent attending training courses in evenings and weekends to ensure up-to-date knowledge of childcare and best practice
     Time preparing items ready for arts and crafts, baking, etc
     Shopping for supplies
     First Aider
     Baby signing
     Time planning for meeting Birth to Three and eventually Early Years Foundation Stage
     Wear and tear to home and belongings
     Increased car insurance – business cover
     Increased home insurance
     NCMA membership
     Ofsted annual fee
     Public liability insurance
     Fees for toddler group
     Petrol for trips to library and park, etc
     Wear and tear to car
     Purchase of arts and crafts materials
     Purchase of new toys and equipment such as car seats and booster seats, just recently purchased an outside playhouse
     Purchase of foods and drink for lunch and snacks
     Purchase of cooking, baking ingredients
     Purchase of administrative items
     My wages

Plus much, much more that I haven’t thought to include!

I try to have one child at a time as much as possible so I don't even earn minimum wage. I love being with children and put all of my energy into them, even when they are not here by typing up obs and making plans for their development.

I truly am insulted by your message this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Spangles - I love your list

miffy xx

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I have thought about it this morning the more upset I have felt about this post. If you came on here to be insulting to childminders as a profession then I feel you have achieved your goal. Although I do hope these replies have changed your perceptions.
    Annie x

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by feml View Post
    As a parent, l have been searching for support in regards to childminding regulations and stumbled upon this site. My childminder has raised her rate by £1.00 and has not had the children more than 6 months. I now have to pay £270 per week for 2 children. l get support, therefore l have to pay £360 per month, l only earn £598, then the fuel for the 25 mile drive too work.

So tell me this why did you all start childminding as it sound to me that you are a law to yourselfs and more concerend about making money than the well fair of the children and there mum and dad. You complain when parents feel the pinch and have such a high opinion of yoursefls. Your posting are disgusting on your employees that are earning a lot less than what you are charging. And, no not everybody gets paid bank holidays or get days in liu or pay rises that match your increases, l get none of these luxerys. I have never complained to my childminder, l have had no need to until l read this site. My childminder is brilliant but she is to expensive for what l earn. I am appauled by your comments! l need to work to support our BASIC bills but would love even more to stay at home with my children. I can not afford to do either. My question to you is "What do l do!" as you seem to have all the answers.

I can only echo what everyone else has said. I am sorry you feel this way and would suggest you speak to your childminder. You have the option to look at other childcare provisions in your area and make an informed choice if you are not happy with your current childcare.

As is your right you have expressed your opinion but as is our right we have a right to reply.

We are not a "law unto ourselves" - we are self employed people and as such set our own rates - generally that is in line with our training, service, local area etc. We have other expenses and outgoings BEFORE we take our "wage" - again I think you will see in others posts exactly what we have to shell out before we get to our living.

We have a "high opinion" of ourselves - no we are a Childminding Forum and support each other - its very hard to balance home/work life as I am sure you can appreciate, its pretty nervewracking speaking to parents about financial issues and others issues such as their childs behaviour (we are very aware that children are the apple of the parents eye). In saying that there aren't many people who can do what the majority of us mindes do and do well - look after (several/other peoples) children in their own home. Our families have to put up with a lot as do we - our homes resembling nurseries, complying with regulations, people coming in and out. Its not like a nursery where you clock of at 3.30pm (or whatever time) and go home and forget about it. Many minders are very aware of a parents needs and many of us go over and above our duties and shave of bits of the bill here and there. Nurseries and other private daycare would not be as understanding or accomodating as what many childminders are, nurseries certainly wouldn't take the truck that we often have to put up with and parents certainly wouldn't dare to behave and treat nursery staff they way many parents think they can do to us.

We do appreciate that not all parents are getting "luxuries" (we either work a bank/public holiday or we don't and don't get paid for it, employed persons will more often than not get xxx paid holidays per year - we don't) and we really do try to be sympathetic to the parents BUT at the end of the day we are running a business to make a living for our families - just the same as you are going out to work.

Thanks for the "flip" side - the parents view. None of us on here have the view of "them and us" - as I say its a minding forum and we discuss minding issues. Hopefully if you have a really good look around you will see how hard we work and our "flip" side.

Someone else quoted on here a while back -

Good Childcare isn't expensive - its invaluable!
    Last edited by Pipsqueak; 21-05-2008 at 07:39 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

£1.00 raise and she has cared for your children for less than 6 months! Maybe she is trying to force you to leave by making her service too expensive. And with an attitude like yours i dont blame her.

*****mind because i love children, i am a fully qualified Beauty Therapist but i took a drop in money because it was important to me be be at home with my own two daughters while they grew up. I wanted to take them to school and pick them up. Now when my own two are grown i still care for children because i think every child has a right to a childhood and i can provide that along with love and laughter.

To get what you want in life you have to cut your cloth accordingly.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its sad that you saw fit to come onto this site and judge everyone on it without even taking the time to get to know anyone. If you had taken the time to speak to people fairly instead of diving straight in with the insults you would have realised that the childminders on this site are anything but selfish and would generally bend over backwards to help the people they care for. Although I suspect you have already realised this due to your lack of response.

As everyone has said if you have problem with way your childminder works it her you should speak instead of taking you frustration out on everyone here. You have been very unfair and have obviously not taken into consideration the fact that childminders are still normal people with bills (more than most due to childminding) mortgages and general living costs to pay for!

Caroline

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast