Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are the parents opinions

Oh my God.
    I can't believe what I have just read on here.
    How dare Feml(I see she hasn't replied to our posts, wonder why?)talk to us like that!
    I would like to know what job you do Feml?
    Over the years I have done quite a few jobs due to redundancy,moving and the like,so I have done quite a variety of jobs.Childminding is the hardest job I have ever done.My weekends are taken up by courses and paperwork and like Feml we still have money worries (after all I am not helped out by the government),my husbands overtime has been stopped until further notice.I charge £3.25 an hour and I was £3.00 until last September when I put my fees up after 3 years.
    Do you get a wage rise every year Feml?
    Perhaps if you think that Childminders have such a good time why don't you train to be one,you would give up within 6 months because it would be too much like hard work.
    Alyson x

sep 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feml View Post
    As a parent, l have been searching for support in regards to childminding regulations and stumbled upon this site. My childminder has raised her rate by £1.00 and has not had the children more than 6 months. I now have to pay £270 per week for 2 children. l get support, therefore l have to pay £360 per month, l only earn £598, then the fuel for the 25 mile drive too work.

So tell me this why did you all start childminding as it sound to me that you are a law to yourselfs and more concerend about making money than the well fair of the children and there mum and dad. You complain when parents feel the pinch and have such a high opinion of yoursefls. Your posting are disgusting on your employees that are earning a lot less than what you are charging. And, no not everybody gets paid bank holidays or get days in liu or pay rises that match your increases, l get none of these luxerys. I have never complained to my childminder, l have had no need to until l read this site. My childminder is brilliant but she is to expensive for what l earn. I am appauled by your comments! l need to work to support our BASIC bills but would love even more to stay at home with my children. I can not afford to do either. My question to you is "What do l do!" as you seem to have all the answers.
    If you would love to stay at home with your children then please feel free to do so. We are not stopping you, it is your choice to go out to work and use the services of a childminder. Every person in this world is individual. You cannot possibly make comments on childminders as a whole. This forum is only the same as someone who goes out of the home to their job having a chat or exchange of information or a gossip (shock horror we are only normal)! Dont be so judgmental and take things so seriously. Like I said before if you dont like it go elsewhere.

Pipsqueak Guest

Understandably we are fairly outrage/upset by Feml comments - but perhaps she is just giving us a "flip side" - the parents view guys and I guess she is pretty upset with what probably seems like a massive raise to her. Sometimes when we are posting things can come across wrong (inflection and facial expression is missing).

Like has been suggested perhaps she needs to talk to her childminder who she seems happy with in general?? If Feml has a good look around the site she will perhaps learn that we are a bunch of dedicated professionals who are trying our best and hasn't quite expressed herself correctly in the "lions den".

We are more than happy to have parents on here but we do not appreciate having generalisations made about us

Just trying to be diplomatic xxx

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrsb View Post
    when you raise your fees?

I've only raised mine once so far, one of the parents were fine but the other one insisted on going and checking her contract to see if I had stated fee rises in there, she came back to me and said I'd not stipulated in the contract that I would raise my fees while I cared for her child so she wasn't happy

anyone else had adverse reactions lol

Also byu how much do you raise yours? I went from £3.25 to £3.50
    To get back to the original question

There have been no problems when I have raised my fees. I have also stayed competitive and make sure I offer value for money but making sure I try to cover my overheads and have a little bit left over to treat myself (well ok the kids!!!!).

I always give parents written notice of intention to up the fees and approx 4wks notice. I am happy to discuss with them and they are always free to contact other minders if they wish to take their business elsewhere. I only try to review my fees once a year - generally at contract renewal.

LOOPYLISA Guest

all i can say is you should mabe think about changing your childminder! , im just starting out, and cannot wait !

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by barbarella68 View Post
    Oh my God.
    I can't believe what I have just read on here.
    How dare Feml(I see she hasn't replied to our posts, wonder why?)talk to us like that!
    I would like to know what job you do Feml?
    Over the years I have done quite a few jobs due to redundancy,moving and the like,so I have done quite a variety of jobs.Childminding is the hardest job I have ever done.My weekends are taken up by courses and paperwork and like Feml we still have money worries (after all I am not helped out by the government),my husbands overtime has been stopped until further notice.I charge £3.25 an hour and I was £3.00 until last September when I put my fees up after 3 years.
    Do you get a wage rise every year Feml?
    Perhaps if you think that Childminders have such a good time why don't you train to be one,you would give up within 6 months because it would be too much like hard work.
    Couldnt say better myself x

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking to people in that manner she would not get many parents. She obivously did not take the course HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE.

As i always say "Good manners dont cost anything"

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading the message again it seems as if feml thinks childminders somehow 'owe' her something.

It's not her childminder's fault that she has to drive 25 miles to work and it's not her childminders responsibility to subsidise her childcare because she finds it hard to afford.

Childminding is our business, it's our way of earning some money whilst doing something we love. Do people really think we should be doing it as a 'favour' to them so that they can go out and earn and we can make their lives a little easier?

Some people's attitude towards childminders is bewildering to say the least!

Sorry to comment on the message again but it's really wound me up and I keep thinking about it!

Post Thanks / Like

I have read all the posts regarding FEM1's posting. Am quite surprised at the ferocity of some of the replies I have to say.
    I was interested in the breakdown of costs,and was wondering ,have you accountants? as you do know that many of the items mentioned are tax deductable,also depreciation on assets.
    I sympathise with Fem1 obviously she has thought her childminder was secure and after 6 months to be told she was raising her fees by £1 per child seems to be quite a large hype to me that is a rise of 25 % per child, wage rises are governed at around 2 1/2%,I think we all would love a 25% wage rise per hour we would be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Yes childminders work hard as do mums and Nanas,I only wish the government would allow grandparents and near relatives to help in cases of childminding it would solve many problems and those close to a family would understand the financial situation better.
    I to have gone on courses I feed young children daily and have to ensure their well being,no slacking in hygene or anything like that lol I would love to get £4 per child for even 2 hours I would be going on a world cruise for my holidays.
    Perhaps stricter guidelines are needed to protect parents and children,as you all say good child care is invaluable well so is childrens peace of mind and wellbeing and you must appreciate that switching childminders is very traumatic for the child and his or her parents.
    Again I would suggest you find out about the tax benifits of being self employed as there are many,you know as well you can claim for a share of heating costs as an overhead ? using a room as an office?
    Best of luck and remember mums do work hard and do worry and do not like being let down by people in whom they have placed their trust.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The only response i can give to some of the comments on here is that maybe Nana & Fem should register & actually walk a few miles in the shoes of a childminder!
    Blaze x

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

PS Grandparents can look after their grandchildren, but if the parent's want to receive tax credit childcare element then they have to register & care for others as well. As far as an accountant goes...I wish I could afford one...let alone a world cruise!!!!!
    Last edited by Blaze; 21-05-2008 at 02:11 PM.
    Blaze x

Pipsqueak Guest

Hmmm Nana

I understand wher eyou are coming from.

Many of us do have accountants or use an accountancy service BUT again that is another expenses we can often ill afford. The breakdown of costs doesn't include everything just so you know. We all know how to fill in our own accounts and submit them.

Its a shame Spangles thread has been hijacked in this fashion.

But in answer to you Fem1 has come on childminding forum and attack the minding profession in general, rather than going to her minder and trying to speak about it.

Many of us do not get anywhere near £4 an hour (it varies across the country) and if your area is in a slump as mine is - at the moment I am not working despite advertising etc and being nowhere near £4ph. Again hmmm £4ph - no where near the minimum wage which is what people will be on if they are "going out" to work.
    Not many of us do plan our summer cruises - I would be very interested to see how you budget and save for this - even at £4ph. Registered Childminding will not make you a millionaire!

Just so you know - yes us minders work as hard as mums/dads/nanas BUT we are not the parents - we are Professional Childcare Providers - have a look at our qualifications! We are providing a childcare service equivelent and/or over and above Playworkers, Nursery workers etc. We are heavily inspected and regulated. We do a lot of work outside of the contracted hours etc.

Many of us do mind families children and regardless of they are family or not us Childminders are more often more aware of (financial) needs, requirements and problems that a nursery certainly wouldn't entertain (oh I can't pay you this week I forgot to go to the bank.....)

No childminder worth their salt would even dream of "letting" their families down without justifiable reason or cause - Reg Childminders more often go the extra mile than any over childcare provision.

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    The only response i can give to some of the comments on here is that maybe Nana & Fem should register & actually walk a few miles in the shoes of a childminder!
    Well said Blaze.

Unless you have done that, how dare you judge us.

I am a childminder and a parent and I choose to stay at home with my child in order to give her the best start in life. Childminding gave me that chance.

Yes, *****mind for money but also because I love children. Would you do it for nothing? We all have to make a living. I earn £2.75 per hour, would you do that? Again I do it for my daughter.

I had a very good job, earning significantly more money than I am earning now but I chose my daughter over that.

It is not our fault that you have to work.

If you have issues with your childminder then I advise you to discuss them with her instead of attacking us.
    Marie xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Blaze that sounds like a country and weston song title "Walk a few miles in the shoes of a childminder": laughing:

I will go and get my cowboy boots out.

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nana View Post
    I have read all the posts regarding FEM1's posting. Am quite surprised at the ferocity of some of the replies I have to say.
    I was interested in the breakdown of costs,and was wondering ,have you accountants? as you do know that many of the items mentioned are tax deductable,also depreciation on assets.
    I sympathise with Fem1 obviously she has thought her childminder was secure and after 6 months to be told she was raising her fees by £1 per child seems to be quite a large hype to me that is a rise of 25 % per child, wage rises are governed at around 2 1/2%,I think we all would love a 25% wage rise per hour we would be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Yes childminders work hard as do mums and Nanas,I only wish the government would allow grandparents and near relatives to help in cases of childminding it would solve many problems and those close to a family would understand the financial situation better.I to have gone on courses I feed young children daily and have to ensure their well being,no slacking in hygene or anything like that lol I would love to get £4 per child for even 2 hours I would be going on a world cruise for my holidays.
    Perhaps stricter guidelines are needed to protect parents and children,as you all say good child care is invaluable well so is childrens peace of mind and wellbeing and you must appreciate that switching childminders is very traumatic for the child and his or her parents.
    Again I would suggest you find out about the tax benifits of being self employed as there are many,you know as well you can claim for a share of heating costs as an overhead ? using a room as an office?
    Best of luck and remember mums do work hard and do worry and do not like being let down by people in whom they have placed their trust.
    How long did it take you both to come up with a little plan of action to try and get our backs up then?

Sorry, I just find it laughable. You aren't childminders, you dont really know what you are talking about and lets face it, you have launched an attack on ALL childminders just because your childminder 'fem' has raised her prices. Dont you think its a bit ridiculous!

Sorry you have had such a large increase in prices - out of curiosity what was the increase from? how much is the houry rate now??

Also 'what do we suggest you do?' Become a childminder, since its such a lucrative profession, why dont you become one, then you can stay home with your children and work at the same time and earn the fortune you think we do! (sorry, couldnt stop myself from laughing at the very ridiculous opinion you have with regard to earnings!)

I used to work full time and pay a childminder £400 a month, I earnt £780..... funny enough between my and me partner we didnt get any help with childcare costs, because apparently we earnt too much money..... yeah right, all our money was taxed to high heaven and given out in tax credits to other people! Thats the real joke! I think its lucky you get help with childcare costs!
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    How long did it take you both to come up with a little plan of action to try and get our backs up then?

Sorry, I just find it laughable. You aren't childminders, you dont really know what you are talking about and lets face it, you have launched an attack on ALL childminders just because your childminder 'fem' has raised her prices. Dont you think its a bit ridiculous!

Sorry you have had such a large increase in prices - out of curiosity what was the increase from? how much is the houry rate now??

Also 'what do we suggest you do?' Become a childminder, since its such a lucrative profession, why dont you become one, then you can stay home with your children and work at the same time and earn the fortune you think we do! (sorry, couldnt stop myself from laughing at the very ridiculous opinion you have with regard to earnings!)

I used to work full time and pay a childminder £400 a month, I earnt £780..... funny enough between my and me partner we didnt get any help with childcare costs, because apparently we earnt too much money..... yeah right, all our money was taxed to high heaven and given out in tax credits to other people! Thats the real joke! I think its lucky you get help with childcare costs!
    Annie x

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    funny enough between my and me partner we didnt get any help with childcare costs, because apparently we earnt too much money..... yeah right, all our money was taxed to high heaven and given out in tax credits to other people! Thats the real joke! I think its lucky you get help with childcare costs!
    You took the words right out of my mouth. We too aren't entitled to a penny.
    Marie xxx

Jan 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not only a very good childminder, but i feel i am an extention of everyone of my mindees families, i am there if they need me and they all know they can call on me in times of need, i am happy to help out at weekends, evenings and have even been on call throughout the night

I love everyone of my mindees and will go beyond the call of duty for them all. i dont just do this job to reep the benifit, i do it because i LOVE it!

what price would you pay to give your child quality childcare where your child feels loved and cared for and a valued part of an extended family?
    Donna

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that has interested me in this thread is the fact that both Fem and Nana have come into the forum and been very critical without obviously even having had a look around.

Nana you say - I would suggest you find out about the tax benifits of being self employed as there are many,you know as well you can claim for a share of heating costs as an overhead ? using a room as an office?

You obviously haven't seen the whole section on tax and bookeeping where we discuss all the aspects of what we can and can't claim for. We also have the section on fees and charges where we discuss what is and isn't fair charges.

The decision to charge isn't taken lightly by any childminder, we have to take into account areas needs and parental needs. I and I know many other minders would certainly listen to any parent having difficulties paying, the fact that Fem has maybe (and I do say maybe because we can't have the other minders side of the story) found a minder that hasn't thought things through doesn't mean we should all be tarred with the same brush.

A note to all members:
    I'm finding this an interesting debate and would ask everyone to keep it that way please........ keep it on topic, heated is fine, but no resorting to personal attacks please, everyone is welcome to their opinion
    Last edited by Pauline; 21-05-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: my spelling!
    Pauline x

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry but we are so angry
    we are sorry your childminder has raised her fees but that is not our fault and you should not tar us all with the same brush.
    we all work very hard for our money
    money is only part of the reason we do this job the biggest part is that we like working with children but like everyone we need to make a living at the end of the day
    i have been doing this job for 15 yrs and have only put my fees up twice
    as me and my daughter say as long as we can make a living we will keep them the same but if we had to put them up then no way would it be by £1.00
    maybe you should take this up with your childminder instead of attacking all of the childminders on here who are doing a very good job as far as we can see.

cathy

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast