Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Care to learn

Registered Childminder since
    jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Care to learn

Can anyone explain how care to learn works?and is it usually paid in arrears?I have a parent coming to see me tomorrow who is at college and has been let down by her childminder and needs her Lo to start asap!Im worried that i wont receive any payments for a while. thanks jake

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a student using Care to Learn for a year now and we are about to go into second year. This time last year there was a big issue and it took them ages to get payments made.

Since January though it has worked like clockwork. I tick a box on a form they send me each month to confirm the child is still coming to me, the college do the same to confirm they are still attending and I am paid the last Friday of the month in advance for the following month. They pay half fees for the holidays though only 8 weeks for the summer. My student did vol work experience through the holidays and they paid her full childcare fees for the 8 weeks. We filled in a form for that and C to L paid me for the whole 8 weeks together at the end of June.

The only downside I have is they have a max amount they will pay each week and it is less than my normal fees. I had to make a judgement if I would take the child on or not and I decided to but that would be your choice. My fees are only over because I am close to London but not in Greater London. If I was they would pay a higher fee for Greater London.

As she is already registered with them it should be simple to register you as her childcarer, you will have a form sent to you and you will ahve to send a copy of your reg cert and a bank statement, I blanked out all the money details on it because they only need confirmation of address and bank details.

jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thankyou for that,but how long does it take them to get that first payment to you? thanks jake

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year, I didnt get my first payment until the November and I started from the first day of term. They paid ok for a couple of months and then it all went pear shaped and I had to chase every month and payment was 2 weeks late. I would seriously consider if I was asked to do another via that scheme, and would only take them on if I didnt desperately need the money for day to day use. I used my care to learn to pay towards our summer holiday, so it didnt matter too much that the payments were late, although it used to stress me out big time.

jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that,i think im not going to go ahead as i really dont need this kind of hassle,theres no way i could wait that long for the money.And iv read lots of negative posts on here that have put me off even considering it.Thanks again

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't rule out a Care to Learn parent. The initial form filling is the worst,after that the payments will come in advance.Any problems are usually dealt with quickly. I have a Care to Learn parent leaving me soon and would love another one. The monthly form is simply a tick in a box and your signature,they provide a self addressed envelope..Easy! I live in the Midlands so the fees are more than my normal rate which has also been a bonus!!!

Mar02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I am probably the worst person to ask!!

My very first payment took 2 months - and that was with dh getting involved too!

Every payment after was ok unless it was a change in paperwork - but that was every 3 months and then that was another 4 weeks!

The left doesnt know what the right is doing!

I have cried and cried and cries with this system!

I have the most amazing mum and child - but they dont pay my wages and neither do C2L most of the time!

You'll get the money - eventually - but DO NOT rely on it!!

Good luck!!

Rachel xx

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also had a bad experience I'm afraid. It took 2 months to get first payment and then all was fine for 3 months. However the baby was then ill and taken into hospital. The contract should've run until June when mum was due to finish school but baby was sick for the last 8 weeks of this and they refused to pay me. I usually charge if a child is off sick and I was unable to fill the place as baby may have come back at anytime, however they said that as baby's last day was in April (because she was sick) they would only pay until then.

I realise the child wasn't using the place but I couldn't give it to anybody else in case she got better. I agreed to work with the family because my local authority were finding it difficult to place the baby as she was premature and had health problems and I thought I could make a difference. I felt really let down by the system and personally wouldn't take another Care to Learn. However this was last year so maybe things have improved since then.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Oh thankyou for that,but how long does it take them to get that first payment to you? thanks jake
    It took until November when I started last year but it has never been late sice and they ahd done new forms and I think it was a bad start to the year all round. But that was the only blip.

sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I waited about 5 weeks but kept on ringing them but once it was sorted i've never had any problems since.

jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou everyone,im not sure what to do now think im going to have a think,she has been to see me and said it should be straight forward as all she is doing is changing her childcare provider! thanks again

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Thankyou everyone,im not sure what to do now think im going to have a think,she has been to see me and said it should be straight forward as all she is doing is changing her childcare provider! thanks again
    As its a child you didnt have, ifykwim, would you desperately need the money if it went pear shaped. You do get paid, and I got into the habit of ringing them directly I knew it hadnt gone in as planned and it was sometimes a week or two late, but it was incredibly frustrating and in the end I was telling them their job

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a care to learn parent in the past and about to take a new one on tomorrow,no more hassle than when any other parent does not pay,and you get money eventually

June 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a very young parent on this scheme who cant give me any answers about it so I rang Care to Learn this morning. They said the college should have already sent the form in by now and it would take about 3wks to process before I'd get paid. They said ring the college and see if she HAD handed it in for them to fill in. I rang college and spoke to 4 different people who had no idea about the scheme before being put through to Student Services. I asked about my parents form and they said it would be filled in this friday and sent off. When I asked why my parent hadnt been able to sort this out prior to starting (which is what Care to Learn had said normally happenes) she got very snotty with me. Explained I was only going off what I had just been told by the actual scheme themselves but she carried on being obnoxious with me!!! So if this form is not processed in time, I wont be paid until the last Friday in October. Two months without wage is not on really. I'll be thinking twice about taking another on.

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I took on a care to learn child this term too - started beginning of september. I have heard absolutely nothing as to when I might get any payments - do any of you who deal with care to learn have a number that I could call to find out what's going on please?

June 10
    Post Thanks / Like

jojo have u tried the Care 2 Learn supporterline? google it, the phone number is 0800 121 8989. I have phoned twice a week for the past 3weeks and I'm not getting anywhere. I need paying as I have now reached a stage where I have NO money whatsoever and 2 adults and 3 kids to feed!!!

I am in this business to EARN a wage not do it for free. They dont care that their system is archaic and no-one in each department talks to each other!

I was told today after 3wks of chasing them about, that my Ofsted reg cert will be SENT to Ofsted for verification (even tho they can check it online as its there for anyone to view, or ring Ofsted up) so I'll be lucky to get paid the 21st Oct if not the week after!!! So what am I supposed to do in the meantime???? If I get another child in the next few wks I'm seriously considering dropping this student as I dont need the hassle its causing.

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have spoken to them now too, was told much the same thing and hoping to get payment by the end of the month at least! My contract has already ended unfortunately, the mum stopped turning up with the child and I have been completely unable to contact her as she's not returning all calls or texts. I think from what she said the last time I saw her she's decided to quit college, I just wish she could have let me know! Anyway, after a while I wrote to her to officially end the contract and called Care to learn to let them know, and tell them that I expect payment up to when I ended the contract, even though I hadn't looked after the child for 2 weeks by that point. I'll wait to see if I get the full money! In the meantime I am doing what I can to advertise for a new mindee

June 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh great!! And now my silly student mum hasnt bothered to turn up with her son or let me know whats going on! Will ring her half way thro the morning as I have better things to do than chase her about! grrrrr

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking after the baby for nearly four weeks now and still hoping that I am going to be paid for it! Care for Learn have at least now confirmed that they -have- the application from us, however they are waiting for Ofsted to confirm my Registration Number. Doubtless this will take at least another four weeks. I am still hopeful! At least it's forcing me to save money for christmas

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jojo123 View Post
    I have spoken to them now too, was told much the same thing and hoping to get payment by the end of the month at least! My contract has already ended unfortunately, the mum stopped turning up with the child and I have been completely unable to contact her as she's not returning all calls or texts. I think from what she said the last time I saw her she's decided to quit college, I just wish she could have let me know! Anyway, after a while I wrote to her to officially end the contract and called Care to learn to let them know, and tell them that I expect payment up to when I ended the contract, even though I hadn't looked after the child for 2 weeks by that point. I'll wait to see if I get the full money! In the meantime I am doing what I can to advertise for a new mindee
    Care to Learn will also pay for 4 weeks notice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast