late paying every week
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default late paying every week

hi, i'm having a nightmare with the mother of the little girl i look after with regards to paying me, when she started i told her it was payment in advance and she said could she pay me weekly as she gets tax credits and i said yes and then she said could she pay me on a wed as thats when she gets her tax credits and i said yes, but i never get paid on time it's been 8 months now and i dread every week i have to text her and call her and she still doesn,t bring the money, i tried bank transfer but she will only do it on a week by week basis and doesn,t remember to do it, i've had every excuse under the sun, forgot bankcard, havn't had time to go to cash machine and when she's on holiday i just don't get paid, she's just had 3 weeks off and i got paid last week for the 3 weeks as apparently she lost her phone and couldn't call me for bank details that i've givenn her about ten times, i think i only got paid then because i text her to say if the money wasn't in my account the next day that from sep1st i could no longer accept weekly payment and it would have to be monthly in advance, i 'm so annoyed because she gets 70% paid for her and in the holidays she pays me 50%, i am at the end of my tether, any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

try not accepting the child until you are paid. If she gets cash on wed then she is not coming back on monday until cash is in your hand/bank. she'd be kicking up a fuss if tax credits forgot her!!

She must be low income to get 70% and won't have excess cash to hand but you are not a charity. See if the above works. maybe leaving payday until then will be easier for her? not fun for you though. i get cheque every last day of the week but its a bummer to get no funds until week after that!

Have you a policy on it? or your contract specify pay day?
    Write a formal letter saying pay day is......
    if payment not made by the next day child due than child will not be accepted.
    If she turns up with all the cash in hand on that day fine, as long as she calls. if not go out early and teach her a lesson in appreciating you?!

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for advice, she isn't on a low income as she's in the army, pays low rent with council tax incorporated into it, she is a single mum that's why she gets it, she drives a brand new sports car, I just don't think she gets it, I have spoken to her many times about payment and she nods and says sorry, I think she's taken advantage of my good nature, I'm hoping when she comes back tomorrow she is abit better but we'll see, thanks again.

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

You really need to sit down and start again with this one I think.

Tell her from X date (make it soon) you will only accept Payments in advance and payment is to be made the Friday before the week begins. End off no negotiations.

If payment is not received you will refuse childcare until invoice is paid. End of no negotiation.

This needs to be written in your contracts.....I had a parent that was late and like you made every excuse!!

I added late payment charges of £5 per day until FULL payments were paid. She has never been late since....until the last 2 weeks payment which was only £18 short (each time) but £18 is £18......I wavered the first week as it had been the first late payment in many many months and look what happened when I did...she was late the following week & I told her she was taking the pee and would not or never waver it again!!

Get tough and stay tough with certain people otherwise they start to take full advantage.

Good Luck
    wow 2012 already

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If she is in the army she is paid monthly. Does she not pay some of her fees via Childcare Vouchers? I would have thought the armed forces cover this scheme. She will not automatically get Tax Credits because she is a single mum and I am surprised if she does because it is worked out on income and I have had a single mum who doesn't get any because he income is too high.

I would say next non payment and she will be charged £5 per day late and you will be switching her to monthly in advance. Any bother about payment in the future and you will be going straight to her boss about it and suspending childcare.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had this problem on and off for over a year i dont know why these people think they can do this to us.....i would like to see them go shopping and tell the checkout lady they will pay on wednesday!!!!

It really annoys me, i have sent numerous letter and request for payment in the bank but i still get every excuse under the sun.

Today i have given her this months invoice and she just stared at it for ages....I added a £5 per child late fee for late payment last month as she was late with yet another excuse!!

Dont think she was happy but im sick of it.

Hopefully adding a late fee may make her pay up on time, Good luck x

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanku for all your advice, i am a soft touch I know and I have been really patient with her, I don't like confrontation or for her to think I'm being unreasonable but I really have had enough, I don't have a late payment policy but I am going to do one I want this sorted before the Xmas holidays come along as I know she won't pay me over the Xmas period and I'll be left with yet another excuse. X

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

time to review your contract methinks and get it all straightened out. if it still continues then personally, i would be considering bringing the contract to and end on the basis that she continually breaches it and i would not give notice. you really should be charging a late payment fee, that soon ends the nonsense