Do you collect from home? Charge?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you collect from home? Charge?

I have just had an enquiry which would involve collecting the child from home and dropping off at the end of the day.
    I would want to charge extra for mileage on top of usual fee for the time, does anyone else do this?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually refuse to act like a taxi which is what this would be doing.

You can't charge mileage for it because it could invalidate your car insurance. You would have to charge for the extra time, so from when you leave home top collect in the morning and to when you get back home after taking home.

You also need to think about the impact of doing this on other mindees, how long would they be in the car? What would you do if you got in the car and it wouldn't start, you got a puncture, it snowed heavily during the day or night would you want or be able to get to this family?

These are a few of the reasons families have to bring their children to me and collect them from me.

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Trouble is, they live in a small village with no childminders and have no transport.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok then charge your hourly rate from when you leave home until you get back and add the time for this am and pm onto contracted hours, these should be the core hours that are used when charging for things like their holidays and Bank Holidays as well.

Also write a robust procedure to cover yourself for break downs, extreme weather and traffic, an incident with another mindee etc, so they still have to pay you.

They need to have a back up plan which they give you in writing so if something happens they remain responsible for the delivery and collection of their child, either via a friend of family or taxi company if an incident occurs preventing you doing it or if the child becomes ill and needs collecting during minding hours.

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Ok then charge your hourly rate from when you leave home until you get back and add the time for this am and pm onto contracted hours, these should be the core hours that are used when charging for things like their holidays and Bank Holidays as well.

Also write a robust procedure to cover yourself for break downs, extreme weather and traffic, an incident with another mindee etc, so they still have to pay you.

They need to have a back up plan which they give you in writing so if something happens they remain responsible for the delivery and collection of their child, either via a friend of family or taxi company if an incident occurs preventing you doing it or if the child becomes ill and needs collecting during minding hours.
    Thanks so much for that. I'm quickly learning I have to set out the rules so parents know I mean business! I'll make sure I go through it all properly with her and have contingency plans in place etc. ...if I get the business!!

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

hi hun , i do a pick up drop off service and it suits me coz that way theres no late pick ups lol

it suites me and i dont charge for it but i do need to tell my car ins if i use it to take children out or pick up and tbh it didnt cost me much more about £20 yr

add the travel time in with your hrly rate so if its was a 9-5 job you charge from 8.30-5pm giving the extra for setting off and collecting. and if needed the extra time getting home ...

it works for me and ive done it for yrs but not sure how far out of my way i would go and also how many other LO's i had sitting in the car..
    good luck x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea08 View Post
    hi hun , i do a pick up drop off service and it suits me coz that way theres no late pick ups lol

it suites me and i dont charge for it but i do need to tell my car ins if i use it to take children out or pick up and tbh it didnt cost me much more about £20 yr

add the travel time in with your hrly rate so if its was a 9-5 job you charge from 8.30-5pm giving the extra for setting off and collecting. and if needed the extra time getting home ...

it works for me and ive done it for yrs but not sure how far out of my way i would go and also how many other LO's i had sitting in the car..
    good luck x

Surely that is no more than we all have to do, have business use to cover us for childminding.? Its if you charge specifically for drop offs and pick ups you can be classed as a taxi and this could invalidate your insurance because we are not registered as a taxi.