Childminding for 1 hour at lunch time
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminding for 1 hour at lunch time

Hi, I have been caring for 2 children for 1 hour 3 days a week, I pick them up from play group (somedays this involves petrol as one play group is in the next village) and privide them with lunch. I charge £3.50 each as this is my normall hourly rate, but I have been considering asking the parents to bring in their own lunch or asking them for £1 for lunch. I am worried about sounding greedy but they are taking up a days space for 1 hour.

Mar02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that you are being more than reasonable.

You cant be making much, if any profit, with the travelling and lunch.

I'm sure that the parents will understand.

Rachel x

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HandD View Post
    Hi, I have been caring for 2 children for 1 hour 3 days a week, I pick them up from play group (somedays this involves petrol as one play group is in the next village) and privide them with lunch. I charge £3.50 each as this is my normall hourly rate, but I have been considering asking the parents to bring in their own lunch or asking them for £1 for lunch. I am worried about sounding greedy but they are taking up a days space for 1 hour.
    We charge a minimum of 5 hours per day, per child for pre school children, this is because as you point out they are taking up a pre school space that you could be earning money for.

Don't worry about sounding greedy you need to be making a profit after all it is your livelihood.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[
    QUOTE=Dave;939319]We charge a minimum of 5 hours per day, per child for pre school children, this is because as you point out they are taking up a pre school space that you could be earning money for.

Don't worry about sounding greedy you need to be making a profit after all it is your livelihood.
    [/QUOTE]

I agree you need a minimum of 5 hours.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents have been getting an extremely good deal. Have you been charging from time you need to set off? Absolutely reasonable to ask for money for lunch and personally I charge min £5, tbh I dont think I would have taken that one at all because its so tying to be there in the middle of the day and they are taking up 2 full time spaces

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I think sometimes you have to take what you can get but it shouldn't be non profit, i agree, stat charging for lunches or put your hourly rate up a little.
    Jo -Rain or Shine CM

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies. I sent a text to the parents because I'm chicken. One parent agreed, no problem, the other, well I needed a glass of wine after her reply.

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I would certainly be needing more than £1 to cover the cost of lunch, depending on what you provide of course it's surprising how expensive food is. I would estimate at least £2, probably more, so if you charge £3.50 per child you may find you are only earning £1 per chid after deducting your costs.
    Wonder what the other parent said to drive you to the bottle?

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure you stick to your contract so if it says 4 weeks notice dont change anything until then, if she is being nasty you dont want to give her cause for a complaint. Chances are they wont find anyone else willing to do this and if they do then it gives you a space you can fill with a child who will bring in some money!

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have turned down this sort of request before as its more trouble than its worth unless you charge a high fee for the hour.

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies, i expect i will just have to continue with these children and learn from my mistakes for the future, even though the mother that wasn't happy about the lunch charge has reduced her hours since signing the contract but i verbally accepted the changes.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

contracts are meant to be reviewed every year. if you are not happy you can review them more often, as long as you stick to the notice period you do not have to continue with anything

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gigglinggoblin View Post
    contracts are meant to be reviewed every year. if you are not happy you can review them more often, as long as you stick to the notice period you do not have to continue with anything
    exactly right!

Once parents raise their voices to me or get mouthy or aggressive that's the end of the contract as far as I'm concerned, I have it written into my P&Ps so they are forewarned...