Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: help please

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help please

I have been contacted on childcare.co.uk by a parent who is looking for childcare for her 3yr old some days from rougly 7am -9am and to drop child off at nursery.

This is my first unusual enquiry so am unsure what to do.

My problems are I only have 1 under 5 space (as i have 2 under 5's and 7yr old myself) so am thinking is it even worth it as with the hours it will prevent me taking on additional children unless they want to start at 10am onwards.

The parent may also require care on an evening for an hour plus but would also involve me picking child up from nursery.

any suggestions would be great

i also have a friend interested in care for july for 3 days per week thought this is not 100% im unsure to take on this first child as ideally id prefer the 3 full days.

could i offer care to the parent on a temporary basis until a contract with more hours came available? what would i say to the parent?

thanks

apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh!!, i didnt want to read and run but i dont really know how to advise, i've had enquiries like this and its so difficult, tbh i would leave it, another job may just turn up that suits you better, but its really up to u lovely
    gd lk xxxx

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

parents want to visit on sat with what they are looking for, i told them id need more information before i could decide either way as the hours are very inconvenient but dont want to sound cheeky by offering a temp place until a better offer comes along lol

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you charge by the hour ... but if yes I'd have a minimum number of hours a day for a child in EYFS. She only wants 2 hours but I would be charging her for 4 hours ... otherwise it's not worth the paperwork and the space the child would be taking up... HTH

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if I would do this. As you say it takes your only under 5 space which could earn you 10 hours pay per day.

I have a lo that comes at 7am and it is very early to be up and ready to start work so I charge time and a half for that hour.

Think about how much you would charge to make it worth your while. I would charge her for 4 hours min and 1 of those hours at time and a half and you never know you may even find a lo that wants a 10 - 6 slot.

Do not undersell yourself

Post Thanks / Like

I would also think very carefully about taking it on!! To lose your only under 5 space for a couple of hours a day - and even if you charged say 4 hours a day you are still potentially losing out on 6 more hours money if you had a full time child!!

I suppose it depends on how desparately you need the work and whether or not there is the chance of the child's hours being increased at some point in the future ?

May 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding.
    Post Thanks / Like

I only do a minimum of 8 hours so I would be expensive for 2 hours. I dont understand why parents use a nursery which doesnt offer the hours that they need.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i started picking up a 3 year old (now 4) after nursery every day. However, I wouldn't give up a full time space for this hour each day, I managed to get a variation to do it.

I would be honest with mum if she needs someone urgently - tell her you're happy to help out for now but that if a full time child comes along you would have to take it on. She may decide to go elsewhere but I don't think it's worth giving up your daytime space for a few hours a day.

Or perhaps you could negotiate a min. number of hours per day she pays for, say 5 hours and she might be prepared to pay?
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be careful about working for friends - it often ends in tears xx

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you all for your advice, its been useful im still thinking through everything.

i guess i will no more tom after the visit

i have already said i have a 4 hour min charge so am tempted to take it on as a trial basis and on the terms that if i get another child id have to cancel the contract.

would this be acceptable?