Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Never thought how I'd deal with this..

Hi there.

Soon to be registered and had an enquiry for childcare for the following:

I am looking for a childminder from September for one full day a week. I have 4 children, none of them go to school. They are aged 9, 7, 5 and 3 and there is a 3 month old coming along as well. I want from 7.30am til 5pm.

I've just contacted her to ask is she home educating or what, and on that basis, would I be expected to provide an education to the school age kids if they aren't in school?!!???

I am in SUCH a panic about all these requests, as a newbie, because I am so so worried about tieing up places and then getting a request for someone who wants 5 days a week for an under 5.......

Let's say all these children are home educated, has anyone come across this before?!!!??????
    Last edited by hollyberry; 26-04-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Left something off

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

it sounds as she does home educate - not sure if i would want to get into that but on the upside its a good little earner.
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

well the 9 7 and 5 year olds won't count in your under 5 numbers because of their ages (obviously), so only the 3 and 3 month old will take up your spaces - so depending on if you've got your own LO(s) - if you don't then you should still have an under 5 space free. I have to say I have only ever had 1 enquiry for a totally full time space in the 3 years i've been minding. it is potentially a big earner, £30+ a day for each child would mean £140 for one days work - as much as you could expect to earn for a full week from 1 full time under 5. (also a lot to loose if the family all leaves at once.)

if they are being HE'd then you wouldn't have to provide schooling for them for 1 day a week - presuming that the schooling is the parents responsibility to do for the rest of the week.

but you do have to work out if you want to be that busy all day long.
    Blessed Be!

May '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it would certainly be a full on day wouldn't it. I don't think I've got to the point yet where I can tot up the income and then compare it to full timers - which is what I should really be doing. Thank you for your help once again.

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Crikey that is a lot! A very full on day but could be a good one so that you don't have to rely heavily on getting lots of others for the rest of the week, one, if you have them for 1 day you do need to look at your numbers carefully. You don't want to jeopardise getting other part timers or full timers etc. ARe you doing it for an income or just pocket money iykwim? Depends if you have your own children and whether or not it takes you over your numbers or not.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think possibly she's on mat leave and is looking for a new minder. I suspect the 9, 7, and 5 go to school and she is tellng you the fulltime hours for the 3 year old and the baby when he/she start?

maybe I'm wrong though.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

May '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have emailed her to clarify if she means all of them tho she does say 'none of them go to school'. Will have to wait to hear back from her.

I am doing this for my full time income and I'm a single parent so I really need to get this right. My fantasy scenario was to have 3 full time under 5s so I can pay the bills but I'm learning this is just that, a fantasy and highly unlikely to become a reality. I have to say the only enquiries I've had have been for odd days here and there, certainly haven't even seen one for someone wanting their child to come full time 5 days a week.

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never had an enquiry for full time care - it's mostly 1,2 or 3 days per week. I'm just happy if they take the whole day rather than wanting a morning or a few hours here and there.

If I were you I'd take it - you would have one full day and could then look at filling the rest - if you haven't got any kids of your own you'd still have one spac for an under 5 on that day meaning that you still can offer one full time space. I wouldn't like full time spaces anyway as if the child leaves it's a lot of money to lose. Another good thing is if they're on holiday you've have the complete day free which never happens to me as there is always another family not on hol!

One question to ask would be what day does she want? I would try not to fill a tues, wed or thu as that's what the majority of part time mums work in this area.
    Like my ideas on Facebook 'Play, naturally'

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I home educated mine and had 4 kids with this precise age range. It would be my dream to get this sort of request! Generally home ed kids are very self motivated and come with their own projects. Would need a broadening of your approach but could be lovely. Do call on me if you want help with home ed ideas but I'd imagine they'd come with their own agendas

jac

May '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Funnily enough I think it sounds quite nice too, and I was once considering doing HE for my son! I'm just waiting for her to confirm this is actually what she meant, and then I can go a bit further forward with it.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see it was for only one day. I think I would do it. you would only need to work maybe one other day a week then!

just a thought though it might be they are not at school because they are excluded. I guess all will be revealed when she answers. Let us know

May '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh god, excluded, never thought of that ha ha ha! That would just be my luck!!!! Still, who knows why or what that could be about if it was the reason, dearie me.

And good thoughts about stating a preference for the day of the week. A Monday would be a real good day - will update all as and when (if!) she gets back to me!!!!

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

all 3 children excluded????? i hope thats unlikely!!!
    Blessed Be!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    all 3 children excluded????? i hope thats unlikely!!!
    might be jsut the 2 if the other is not yet started reception and round here with some families - it's not uncommon

May '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, in common with the other mum who asked me what care she wanted would cost, this woman has never got back to me so I guess it won't go forward. Hey ho!!!!

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi hun,

where are you based? i had the exact same request from a lady a couple of weeks ago, i e-mailed her as i couldnt accommodate and pointed her in the direction of a nanny.

Im full so if your local could maybe pass on enquiries.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hollyberry;914268

[COLOR="DarkGreen"
    I am looking for a childminder from September for one full day a week. I have 4 children, none of them go to school. They are aged 9, 7, 5 and 3 and there is a 3 month old coming along as well. I want from 7.30am til 5pm. [/COLOR]

My first thought when i read this was that she doesnt even know how many kids she has got - she says she has 4 kids when clearly she has 5!

Nov2000
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been CM for over 11 years and only once got a F/T !!

I would prob say "yes" if you've got the spaces but make sure all your Ts are crossed and your Is dotted in your contract - you've only got to read all the threads on this forum to see how many times people have had contracts broken

Don't forget that you will have to do EYFS with 5, 3 and 3 month old so 7 and 9 should fit in fairly easily to your planning.