Retainer to keep a place in advance?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Retainer to keep a place in advance?

Hi All

I know that this will have been asked among the Forum already, but if you don't mind letting me know what you (or others) have done in the situation of keeping a place for a child in advance.

I have interest in a position availble from Sept '11. Can/should I ask for a retainer if a parent wants it? If so, what do you think is reasonable to ask for, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Nat

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know NCMA recommend that a Retainer is charged for periods of not longer than 12 weeks. Six months is quite a long time. I would normally take a non-returnable Deposit of 4 weeks fees to secure the place that far in advance. If I charge a retainer, I charge 1/2 fee.

The place must be available for all the time the Retainer is paid, and the parent can use it at any time with reasonable notice.

onceinabluemoon Guest

I'd go with the deposit rather than a retainer too. I wouldnt expect a parent to pay half fees until September. x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if I had a space now then I would charge a retainer. that's a lot of money to lose if you are looking now hon. I have taken on a September child with a deposit but I don't have a space until September.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your advice.

I don't have the space availble until September either. But it will be my only full-time under 5 bringing the money in, as I have 2 under 5's of my own.

Would really like to have someone coming in as the other is leaving.

Thanks

Nat

Post Thanks / Like

You can't charge a retainer if there is no space available.

You could ask for a deposit though to secure the place. I usually take one month's fees as deposit - parents sign to say they understand it is non-refundable if they do not take up the place.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!