Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default retatiner for unborn child?

Hi everyone,
    Just wondered your thought on this one...

I've had an enquiry for a place starting in July/Aug for very young baby, only thing is mum hasn't had the baby yet. Would you still charge a retainer? I'm just worried that i'll hold the space, then Mum will change her mind and I'll be left with no work.

What would you do?

Kyla

Feb 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I read somewhere on the NCMA contracts/forms that you aren't suppose to sign contracts, take deposits etc for an unborn child?

Post Thanks / Like

I would ask mum to contact you once the baby is born but explain that you are unable to hold a place open for an unborn child.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

onceinabluemoon Guest

Not sure how you can make a contract to care for a person who does not yet exist... If you cannot make a contract you cannot charge a retainer. You could hold a space under goodwill until baby was born (I did that) but I don't think a contract for an unborn child would be lawful as that child did not exist at the time the contract was written.

I'm not a lawyer though and know very littler about contract law, that just makes sense to me... Maybe somebody will be able to advise you who knows a little more about contract law. x

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

you can't charge for a baby not born. you think of it as if the mum is going to change her mind but what if GOD FORBID something happen to the baby? what if he's born with a condition and end up in hospital for months???

I have a pregnant mum and basically we said, i will do my best to have a space open BUT i need to survive in the meanwhile so if someone comes i'll have to take them on.

we will meet AFTER the baby is born and closer to the time she want to start so we can make arrangement.

too many things can change after the birth of a baby.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you ladies,

I had thought about the possibility of the unspeakable happening.
    I think I will do as mentioned here & say I would love to have baby but can't hold the space, and we'll speak again once baby is born.
    Thanks for you advice, this forum is such a treasure trove of information!!
    Kyla x

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, get her to contact you once the baby is born. Advise her that you cannot keep the place until a contract is signed and retainer recieved, which you will complete as soon as she is ready after the birth.xxx

x Sarah x

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I am sure it says somewhere you can't hold a place/do a contract for an unborn child.

I have mentally done it. The 2 that I look after now their places were ear-marked pretty much from conception 1 is the sibling of a child I was looking after and the other is my friends baby.

The thing is, there IS always that feeling they might change their mind and it does get a little nervy, especially if you NEED to fill the space.

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this post, it was interesting for me as I have an enquiry from a pregnant mum and wondered what to do should she want to use me. Very useful to consider what to do so many thanks
    x