Quick...Mum handed in notice, what to charge?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick...Mum handed in notice, what to charge?

Hope someone can help!
    One of my mums handed in her notice (which luckily, I was already aware that it wasn't working out for both of us!), in my policies I have that I need 4 weeks notice.

She's just recently gone to a term-time contract and her 4 weeks end during the Easter half term (plus the 3 bank holidays).

Question is, what do I charge? Do I allow her to pay up until the Easter holidays (8th April for us) or do I say that she needs to have 4 weeks of childminding (i.e. 2 weeks after the half term)?

Please help, need to let her know today!!!

Pipsqueak Guest

she either pays in lieu of the 4 weeks or she uses the 4 weeks is that what you mean?
    notice period cannot include time off and holidays therefore it will be AFTER the easter holidays that the notice period recommences.

Registered Childminder since
    nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i agree says in nmca contracts that notice period cannot include holidays etc

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    If you specifically use ncma contracts it does mention this on the back somewhere: holidays cannot count as part of the notice period on either side.

Also as the contract is term time only I would think that only weeks contracted for would count anyway.

Apart from that, it just depends what you have written into your contract or what you are both happy with.

hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction

bws,
    Wendy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks girls, I'm just concerned as there is also money outstanding, which equals just over a week worth of childcare for her 2 girls!

I've just contacted her saying her last day is XXX and all money outstanding needs to be settled before they leave, does that sound right?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy86 View Post
    Thanks girls, I'm just concerned as there is also money outstanding, which equals just over a week worth of childcare for her 2 girls!

I've just contacted her saying her last day is XXX and all money outstanding needs to be settled before they leave, does that sound right?
    I would want all monies in advance especially if there were already payment issues - if you are saying she needs to settle before she leaves what is to stop the parent saying she will pay you on the last day of care and then 'choosing' not to pay......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashaleee View Post
    I would want all monies in advance especially if there were already payment issues - if you are saying she needs to settle before she leaves what is to stop the parent saying she will pay you on the last day of care and then 'choosing' not to pay......
    I completely agree! Hence the cause of concern. I'll try to have a word with either herself or her husband this week regarding payment as she has already to pay before but it never did

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what has been and would be concerned as well that I wouldn't receive the money if she pays you in arrears.
    Hope it goes well getting it in advance, let us know what she says.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    When is she due to pay? Does she normally pay in advance?! If they don't pay up to date i'd be tempted to come to an arrangement (if you can afford it) for them to pay what is owed and end the contract early. At least you won't have worked for nothing...
    If you can't afford it, make it clear you will take them to the small claims court unless they pay.

If it is in your contract that they should pay in advance I'd also refuse to take them until care is paid for, even if they did it on a day by day basis until the end of the contract.

Good luck

best wishes,
    Wendy

Post Thanks / Like

She normally pays weekly in advance, due to her job etc.
    She in arrears due to holiday time.
    I've been communicating via email and I have made it clear that the balance has to be settled.
    Thanks everyone. I'll give you an update if anything happens.

onceinabluemoon Guest

Just to throw in that MM do not have the no holidays rule in their contracts, so if you're using them its 4 straight weeks as far as I know. x

Nov2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashaleee View Post
    I agree but it's easier said than done. I have now had 3 parents leave with outstanding debts - luckily all under £40 but that's not the point - but when they come at the end of the day saying "oh I haven't had time to go to the bank, forgot my cheque-book" etc what can you do.

I think the "refuse care unless paid for in advance" option is prob best if there are unresolved issues even if it seems very harsh.

Unfortunately, as childminders, we are, by nature, nice people and we hate confrontation but if you can carry it through go for it. Sometimes we just have to say "no more". At least you wont have provided care which has then not been paid for.

Best of luck
    Karen