Looking after niece?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    preschool assis
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking after niece?

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I have a question that I can't find the answer to.
    My sister-in-law is planning on going back to work in a few months and would like me to look after her daughter for her and pay me for it, I already have a level 3 childcare qualification, but as her work would be giving her money for childcare would I need to be registered? If so would I be a nanny or a childminder? Also how would I go about trying to do this?
    Thanks in advance

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are working from your home and accepting vouchers for providing childcare then you need to be a registered childminder.

You should contact your local childminding people (the library will have details) for help. All areas are different.

The process takes between 3 and 6 months I think at an average estimate.

If you are working from the child's house then you can be a nanny however I don't know how money would work you would need to check with a nanny agency I think.

I hope this helps you

SEPT 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    If you are working from your home and accepting vouchers for providing childcare then you need to be a registered childminder.

You should contact your local childminding people (the library will have details) for help. All areas are different.

The process takes between 3 and 6 months I think at an average estimate.

If you are working from the child's house then you can be a nanny however I don't know how money would work you would need to check with a nanny agency I think.

I hope this helps you
    I agree you need to be registered if you are to accept payment.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If you register as a childminder you have to look after a child that you are not related to as well as your niece.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Minding neice

However, if you register you need to mind other children as well. If you are an aunt, uncle or grandparent you don't have to register if being paid direct by family member. I have minded my neice and nephew for 3 years. My sister has some of her childcare paid by tax credit so I had to be registered. Ofsted will not do an inspection if you only mind a neice, nephew or grandchild. I receive a phone call every 6 months to see if I have any non family mindees. However I was sent a letter from ofsted which advised if I don't mind any non family members within 3 years from my registration then they can take me off the registers. I have recently started minding a non family member and am waiting for my first graded inspection .

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hon, why don't you nanny your niece at your sisters house whilst you register as a CM. However, as other's have said there is little point registering as a cm unless you plan to mind other children too.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Non childminder member
    preschool assis
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aunt sally View Post
    However, if you register you need to mind other children as well. If you are an aunt, uncle or grandparent you don't have to register if being paid direct by family member. I have minded my neice and nephew for 3 years. My sister has some of her childcare paid by tax credit so I had to be registered. Ofsted will not do an inspection if you only mind a neice, nephew or grandchild. I receive a phone call every 6 months to see if I have any non family mindees. However I was sent a letter from ofsted which advised if I don't mind any non family members within 3 years from my registration then they can take me off the registers. I have recently started minding a non family member and am waiting for my first graded inspection .
    So I can become a registered childminder for my niece without Ofstead inspections for up to 3 years? After that I would need to mind a non-family member child?

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AuntK View Post
    So I can become a registered childminder for my niece without Ofstead inspections for up to 3 years? After that I would need to mind a non-family member child?
    You would need to be able to prove that you are advertising and open to taking on children other than your neice. Tax credits may not pay unless you are minding other children, they are tightening up on rules and checking up with minders. You would only need to take on one other child to make it fully above board and ensure that you are meeting regs & tax credit rules. Your neice would probably love the company too and often having two is easier than one as they entertain each other and play together.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had my pre-registration visit ofsted knew I was going to look after my neice as well as other part time mindees. It just happened that all my enquiries were for full time hours often with weekend or very late finishing hours. These were hours I felt would affect our family life with 2 children of our own too much. Ofsted were happy that I was waiting for a part time mindee but they wouldn't have let it go over the 3 years. I also had children every morning before school but because it wasn't over 2 hours a day it didn't count towards an inspection either. So you cannot go into childminding just for your neice because you will have to be able to tell ofsted you are actively looking to take on other mindees. Hope this makes sense.