Dropping off at their home - charge til you get back?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dropping off at their home - charge til you get back?

Hello

I am drawing up a new contract. Parent asked me if I could drop at home at 4.30pm. Said I couldn't til 5pm as husband not in til gone 4.30pm and another mindee arrives about 4.45pm. Should I be charging for my return journey home? My husband thinks I should. I charge in half hours so that would take me til 5.30pm but reckon I'd be back about 5.10pm. I don't want them to think I am taking the p. I have already said I am charging a higher rate to cover school pick up and drop off back to their house.

Their weekly bill is £92. Should I just charge til 5.30pm and then knock the £2 off as gesture of good will? Or just charge til 5pm and accept that getting higher rate of pay than normal? I am charging £4 whereas I would charge £3.50 if parents were dropping off/collecting themselves.

I am also only charging from 8.30am til 5 or 5.30pm whereas I suppose i could have charged her a 8-6 full day so think I am fair in that respect.

any ideas? thanks
    Last edited by ManicMum; 17-01-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added something else

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dropping off at their home - charge til you get back?

im stupard i collect and drop a child home from hitchin ( im in stevenage )and only charge for petrol and time i get him to time i drop him home i dont charge for the time it takes me to get there or back at end of day but feel i should as its still my time its taking up and im in the car for a good 20-30 mins each way but to nervous to say anything as dont want to lose the mindee as its the only one i have

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You should only charge for the petrol it costs you, if at all. Otherwise you can be reguarded as a Taxi working for Hire and Reward which will invalidate your insurance.

It is for this reason I will only collect or drop off a child in an extreme emergncy and not as a contracted regular arrangement.

It would also worry me what would I do if the car broke down or the weather turned nasty?

Yiu must also consider the other children in your care if you have to take them with you is it fair to do this?

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    I think I'd just charge until drop off time as you're already charging a higher rate and as Rickysmiths says you don't want to be creating a problem with being classed as a taxi etc..
    I'd also specify that drop off is included in the rate when possible, making it clear that you are not obliged to drop off e.g. in an emergency or if there are extreme weather conditions, if your car doesn't start etc. They will be ultimately responsible for collecting their child if you are unable or unwilling.
    If they query it, you can explain that you're not able to charge separately as a taxi service, so it has to be a part of your general service for that family. Part of that means the drop off's can't be an absolute condition...

Hope that makes some sense !

bws,
    Wendy

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't drop off at a mindee's home, I don't consider it part of my job and don't think its fair on the other children in my care. The odd emergency is fine but not as part of a daily routine.

dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i do pick up a child and drop him off on a friday , and i charge an hours pay each way even though it is only 10 mins away as its putting me out and i want paying for that .

a good point someone said that you cant charge for the journey as you need a special liscence for that , you need to incorporate it in with your minding fees as extra time
    H4H supporter 'per mare per terram'

Post Thanks / Like

My advice to you is to think really hard if you want to do drop off. I agreed to this with one mindee and did it three times a week out of five. I got truly fed up with my day ending longer and resented it and was even more fed up with the fact mum was already home and sometimes had pyjamas on as had a bath or been for hairdresser appointment and her car was sitting outside. What she did was her own business of course and I should have known better than to listen to her sob story and agree to it so more fool me. Never again though, so just thought I'd warn you of the possible pitfalls.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that. I thought parent was working later but turns she is finishing same time she wants kids dropped off back to hubby. Said it's so she can go shopping. Feel bit used in that way. But incorporated it into fee so glad I did that. If my hubby working late one day, may have to tell her as otherwise got to load 6 kids in car to go just up the road. at tea time too.

Interesting about the insurance angle. if i took all the kids iin car to a drop home and had an accident - would I be insured?

We are going to get my husband registered as full childminder instead of assistant so he can look after kids at these times.

cheers

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMum View Post
    thanks for that. I thought parent was working later but turns she is finishing same time she wants kids dropped off back to hubby. Said it's so she can go shopping. Feel bit used in that way. But incorporated it into fee so glad I did that. If my hubby working late one day, may have to tell her as otherwise got to load 6 kids in car to go just up the road. at tea time too.

Interesting about the insurance angle. if i took all the kids iin car to a drop home and had an accident - would I be insured?

We are going to get my husband registered as full childminder instead of assistant so he can look after kids at these times.

cheers
    You husband can, as your assistant, be left for a short time with the children. He needs to do his First Aid and I would advise at some point Child Protection. Then you need Ofsted to put on your certificate that he can be left, lastly you need to include this permission on your permissions form so all the parents have given their permission to leave the children.

My husband is and was Registered in this way at Ofsteds suggestion. I always tell parents at interview and sell it as a plus point because it means I have a bit more flexibility.

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told you can't charge for petrol seperate ie has to be in hourly rate as you will be going along the roads of being a taxi.....not 100% sure this is correct though!