Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Learning the hard way...

Hi Everyone

I am going to sound like a right moaner but I am having a down day

I have been a registered childminder for a few weeks. Before being registered I was doing visits, showing people around my home, telling them what I planned on doing etc and all was going OK.

Over the past few weeks I have had 4 timewasters and one woman even booked 5 appointments to see me and didn't come to one, I haven't heard from her since the last time she cancelled on me.

Last week I looked after a little boy, his Mum just wanted occasional minding but today I was due to have him & his sister for the day. I have my own 6 month old baby so have been very organised, shopped, got the right age range toys out etc, cot up, ready bed up, high chairs out, food prepared etc only to check my emails at 10.30am (she was due here at 11.00am), to find she had emailed me at 9:40am to say they were ill and that she wanted to cancel today.

Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't want her to bring ill children here, but a phonecall wouldn't have gone a miss. I pointed out that she still had to pay full fees as I am still able to work and I have turned other business down for today (& she has signed a contract). Well she said she would pay but I should have made an effort to clearly tell her what was payable if she or her children were sick, and that she would never use me again not only has this made me angry, but now I feel terrible. Why do people not sympathise that I have to make a living too? It's not a drop in centre...

On the other hand I have two lovely kiddies signed up for p/t days in Januray, there just seems to be more horrible loons round my way than 'normal' people.

Is everyones experiences like this or is it just me??

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Learning the hard way...

I seem to get the loonies as well lol lol lol

I even had a parent come round to see me, she said she was well impressed and could she take a copy of my welcome pack and policies etc to show her husband.
    I gave her a copy and said for her to call me, two days later i find out she is just starting out as a childminder.
    Now i don't mind sharing my policies to help someone set up, i have done this on numerous occasions but it would have been nice to be asked!!!!!

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I attract time wasters & loonies too so you are in good company!
    Blaze x

Post Thanks / Like

I think its part of the job cos I get them round here tooxx

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Tthese folk are everywhere, i've had the "childminder setting up with my policies too" i've had one who met a friend of mine and told her she came to see me simply for a nosey round my home(I was ragin) and then the ones who make an app and dont bother showing up, but on the bright side I have a fab gang of parents who I know appreciate everything I do.

mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be part of our job description ......but the diamonds are in there just got to find em lol Don't let it disharten you but how rude of her ....i'm not too sure how i would deal with that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have attracted them in the past too

Shame your first experience has not been good though

Some people are like this but there are lots out there that are lovely and they will come your way so be patient

Good luck with the children in Jan

Angel xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Just goes to prove people dont read their contracts! When i sit down with them I always tell them about having to pay if their child is ill.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Just goes to prove people dont read their contracts! When i sit down with them I always tell them about having to pay if their child is ill.
    So do I - a couple of times!!

Sorry you've had a bad first experience - there are parents like this all over but also lots of lovely considerate ones as well.

Hope everything works out well for you with the children in January and that your phone starts ringing with parents who are not time-wasters!
    Cazz x