Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default retainer question

Im sure this has been asked lots, only i cannot find an answer. If anone can make it clearer to me that would be great thanks.

Women has phoned me asking for childcare full time, mon to fri all day. But she doesn't go back to work till june, or maybe feburary. she not sure yet.

Anyway, shes asked how a retainer works, and I wasnt too confident in my answer., so im hoping on thursday when she comes, I can answer her questions better.
    She mentioned she said she thought retainer payments eventually work off the following week. This is where i was stumbled.

I thought retainers were where thet pay half fees to hold the space for them, and if they use the space thay say full fees ??? (ie the other half)
    if i am right, then would she have to pay me, £1500 jsut to hold the space till june ????? OMI god thats a lot. can they pay this weekly or monthly ???

any advice to make it clearer for me would be fantastic thanks.

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: retainer question

plus was thinkig of giving a good deal maybe as its my first and really need this one. however i dont want to come across a pushover.

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

As its such a long way off I think I would ask for a deposit, say a months fees or whatever.

This is a one off payment to secure a space. If she decides not to use you you keep the money.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polly2 View Post
    As its such a long way off I think I would ask for a deposit, say a months fees or whatever.

This is a one off payment to secure a space. If she decides not to use you you keep the money.
    This is what I would do to

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks, that sounds a lot better.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do a mixture. A non refundable deposit that comes off of the first months account when full time until February and then if she doesn't start then I would ask for a retainer until she does of 50% per week. the 50% keeps the place open and then if she wants to use some of the space bit by bit and build up then I would charge the other 50% as she uses it, with a time limit so this isn't ongoing.
    Debbie

june 10
    Post Thanks / Like

HI i agree with debbie deposit, if she starts later 50% retainer

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks, that sounds a very good idea.

mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

As it is so far off i would charge a non refundable deposit to hold the space for that amount of time.

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG to hold a place for 6mths?????? would you hold that place and loose out on a full income for all that time? dont think i would..

i would hold a place for no more than 3mths unless i was already caring for a sibling,

at 3 mths i would charge 3 full weeks retainer and 4 wks deposit
    the deposit of 4 wks will come off at the end when parents give notice if you dont get notice you just keep the deposit

05/10
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a document which explains it all. I think I've attached it... tried to anyway
    Attached Files Attached Files

05/10
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah

It actually worked...anyway, usually I email this to the parents with all my other stuff about the setting.

Hope this helps

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank very much leapsters, that is exellent.

I will use the info and send it on to child mum, becasue she came the other night to sign to reserve place, having being told she was going back to work in March.
    I suggested first that a months fees i would hold the space till the end of feb, (nearly 3 months hold on 1 months fees - good deal i thought) so anyway when it came to it, she said she not going back till june and then got as month AL to take.
    Well that was it, I said im sorry i wont hold the spcae that long on one months fees, so maybe when ,March comes along a retainer will need to be paid to hold the space.
    oh dear she wasnt sure. The advice ealrier (Andrea 08) ligthening bolt hit me. so i kept strong and suggested to go home and have a chat with hubby.
    anyway she called back after and they dont want to pay a retainer, so we left it. oh well.
    but she did mention she will ring me nearer the time and hope i have a space, and if not she was prepared to stay off work till he is 12 months old then i have more chance of ahving a space as he will be my unders 5s.
    thats a big IF, but hey ho.
    i did however take it as a compliment becasue she must have liked me.