parents turning up early, does it matter?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default parents turning up early, does it matter?

hi all, i mind a 1 year old boy a few days a week 8.30-6.30. his mum turned up at 8.00 a couple of weeks ago, saying she was sorry. i said it was fine but could she just send me a quick text and let me know next time, the vac was still out and i hadnt dried my hair! she has turned up at 8.30 since apart from today, she dropped her little boy off at 8.15, without letting me know or saying anything.

am i making a big deal of this? she does usually pick him up at 6.00, and i get paid until 6.30. im not bothered about the money side at all, its just sometimes i am pushed for time and aim to get ready in time for 8.30.

any advice much appreciated

linda loo x

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: parents turning up early, does it matter?

i would have a chat with lo mum explain that contract is from 8.30 and you have things to do before so door will not be open until 8.30 if mum really needs you earlier say you will need to change contracted hrs, as for picking up early thats there prerogative and doesnt affect money, hope you get it sorted as it is anoying when they come early

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course it matters! I don't mind 5 mins early but 30! Its hard enough being ready for thr right time sometimes! I would ask if she wanted to change it, just so u know! As long as she doesn't come before 8!

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

thankyou for quick replies. when she collected tonight i asked her if everything was ok re hours and managing to get to work etc. she said everyting was fine, i just said that if things change it wasnt a problem, just let me know.

hoping it wont happen again, will definately say something next time.

thanks again for replies, my hubby thinks im being silly!

linda loo x

onceinabluemoon Guest

I find it annoying when parents turn up early too. Luckily it doesn't happen too often nowadays but before I cured it by walking the dog and not being back til 2 minutes before contracted time...

I think it's annoying because you mentally prepare yourself to begin work at a certain time and know you have some jobs, some relaxation etc to fit into that gap. If you're anything like me you may like to just sit and relax with a coffee and the forum/facebook/newspaper for ten minutes prior to starting. If they come early everything changes and throws out your whole day, just slightly but enough to make you feel of kilter.

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

if it does bother you tell mum that our insurance doesn't kick in until the contracted time so therefore her child is not insured on your premises until 8:30.

i don't mind a minute or two but anything more and i always make a point of saying something

i agree with oiabm if i don't get my 5 mins on here in the morning before work i am twitchy all day

may 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this recently, they were getting earlier and earlier. They already had a 7.30 start! My thoughts were, that I am sure that if they turned up at a nursery half an hour before they opened, they wouldn't be opening the doors early!

I said to them that if there were there early, then I requested for the parent to stay with the child and look after them until their start time, alternatively I could amend their contract times or they could pay an extra fee (same as a late collection.) Funny how they have been on time ever since, well not more than 5 minutes early, which I am happy with.

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked in a private nursery that used to open at 7... Would you believe parents were chapping on the door sometimes as early as 6:45!!

We just didn't open the door to them because like you say - we were not insured before 7!

(Or if it was not that early and bad weather - they could sit in the waiting room)

xxxx
    Hollie-Beth xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy Ducklings View Post
    I worked in a private nursery that used to open at 7... Would you believe parents were chapping on the door sometimes as early as 6:45!!

We just didn't open the door to them because like you say - we were not insured before 7!

(Or if it was not that early and bad weather - they could sit in the waiting room)

xxxx
    Right ! That's it ......I want a waiting room

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Great replies thankyou. totally agree with needing 5 minutes to gather yourself together and sit with a coffee if possible, or even take a visit to the toilet in peace! the insurance is a great reason too, hadnt thought of that.

thanks again

linda loo x

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for starting this thread- i have a mindee who is contracted to start at 8.30. He comes at 8.10 most days but has been as early as 8am. I hate that i always have to run down the stairs to answer the door! Next week i'll be telling Mum that my insurance company have told me i cannot have children here before thier contracted time because they will not be insured!!

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

thats crazy! being early everyday or most days is just thoughtless. maybe parents dont realise how these few minutes before children arrive is really important, most of us have our own children too to get ready.

linda loo x

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a mum that is contracted for 8.15 but turns up at 8.00 most days then she stays until 8.30 whilst I am trying to get all my children and the minded children out of the door! I really like mum and don't want to offend her but DROP YOUR CHILD AND LEAVE PLEASE I'm going to have to start getting tougher! She usually arrives early just as I am sat with a cuppa preparing myself for the day! Problem is her little one is a little when she is around and an when she isn't

Post Thanks / Like

Now you've told her politely, hopefully it won't happen again but if she does come early don't answer the door and that should get the message across.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Short answer to the question is "YES" (it bl**dy does)

I hate it when parents turn up early as I too have normally still got vaccum out and not 'put my face on' !!

I actually had one mother complain because I wasn't in 10 mins before her time, I had taken my hubby to work as he had car trouble, and she had to come back! but I must admit I get more angry with late pick ups, with no call, thats just plain bad manners!
    God Bless xx T

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if people are early I make a point of taking ages to get to door and then open it and say 'oh, you're early today, sorry I wasn't ready' they usually don't do it again.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the opposite problem with a new mindee who has been coming along for 3 months now.

Parents specifically said 8.00 am drop off but so far it's been between 8.20 - 8.40. It's so annoying as I have other mindees and my own children and am "on edge" as to when they will knock.

Sometimes I want to start doing a breakfast or something but put it off as think they will turn up!

It made it harder also when I was taking my daughter for school before the holidays as sometimes I had to ask my sister to take her as she had a daughter at the same school. This won't be a problem now though as my daughter starts secondary next week! so no more rushing.

Sep 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy to read this thread, it looks I am not the only one with this problem. I feel like giving up this job because of the parents.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To change the subject slightly, it drives me mad when parents collect their children earlier than normal after I've just made them a home cooked meal! I know they've paid for it but it's such a waste! My husband says it should'nt matter but a simple text "we'll be collecting x a little earlier tonight" would be so appreciated.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to be in a minority. It doesn't really bother me if parents arrive a bit early in the morning. Most of mine are due to start at 8am, if they arrive early then they have to take me as they find me. One arrived last week at 7.30am and I was still in my bathrobe...just had a good laugh about it. Same goes for the end of the day, if parents pick up early then it's my bonus, if they're a bit late then so what. Mind you my latest finish is 5.15 so it's not like they would be making major incursions into family time. Flexibility works both ways I find.

Mind you if it was a regular occurance I would reassess their contract, particularly if I felt I was losing out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast