Should I charge extra???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I charge extra???

My mindee 8mths who constantly cries unless held turned up at 7.20 this morn. Contract is from 7.30 and I could really do with those 10 mins quiet.

It was nan who dropped off as mum is on an early shift.

My out of hours charges are £6hr should I add £3 to the invoice so they don't make a habit out of it or is that a bit mean. Actually considering giving notice if she doesn't settle soon as the constant crying is driving my mindees as well as myself round the twist and I can't give them any attention as she needs constant holding

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Should I charge extra???

I wouldn't charge. I just refuse to open the door until 7.30!

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge. I had the same thing happen to me. Initailly it started to be just 3/4 mins early ( thats fine) but after two weeks of them turning up at my door( had to let them in as there were two loud siblings and would have woke my whole street) 15 minutes early I decided to add on double rate for unsociable hours charge to their next invoice. I charged double for the whole hour and not just the 15 mins.
    I had politley said to mum several times that she was early and she said "Well I know you have other kids, so I thought you would not mind)Hmmm.

Anyway after receiving her next bill, she has never been early or late again and we actually have a good relationship now.

Sometimes people will just push you to see how far the can go. Hitting their pocket always seems to hurt.
    However if you are giving notice, maybe t would just be easier to not open the door
    Good Luck, Its tough when you have a screaming baby all day, Im sure we've all been there. You'll get through it one way or another
    Last edited by MAWI; 30-06-2010 at 09:16 AM.

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with the above comments - sometimes you have to be mean and charge just to get your point across - I did it for one of mine who seemed to constantly come early - now they sit in the car outside rather than be early!
    As for the clingy baby, been there worn the ear plugs . Unfortuantely that is probably just an age thing and should hopefully pass. I had a 9 month old who constantly cried if I went out of sight, wanted carrying etc. In the end I had to stop carrying her round (v hard on my back) and eventually she learned that I wasn't abandoning her and the crying stopped
    Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I wouldn't charge. I just refuse to open the door until 7.30!
    Me too!! Screaming baby ten mins early, not a chance

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't charge this time but point out to mum that an early drop offs in future will be charged - or tell her you won't open the door probably as you'll still be in shower

My unsocial hours are until 8am.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Since it wasn't the parent that was dropping off I prob wouldn't charge this time but would mention to the parent that they'd been early today.

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Put a note in book and they were 10 mins late today

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't charge the first time. Its happened to me before and I wrote on the form the actual time of arrival and pointed it out to parent when they signed at the end of the week.

If invoicing, include the charge but also enter it as a deduction as an agreed "one-off" discount/concession. I've heard that if you waive the fees you have stated in your contract, a court of law can decide that the parent can reasonably not expect to have to pay it in future because you have set a precedence by not making that charge. Not happened to me, but I'd rather not take any chances

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    I wouldn't charge this time but point out to mum that an early drop offs in future will be charged - or tell her you won't open the door probably as you'll still be in shower

My unsocial hours are until 8am.
    I would do the same

Good luck

Angel xx