Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tax Credits?

Registered Childminder since
    feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tax Credits?

Hi,
    Just wondered if there is any way we can know if parents are receiving tax credits?
    Had a visit today and mum wants me to have lo from 4.30-6-6.30, ideally id like to charge till 6.30 even if occasionaly she is being picked up at 6 just because its so little hrs in the first place, but mum said she thinks they will get tax credits but only abit, so if this is the case i dont want to be unfair!
    Any suggestions before i do contracts?
    Thanks

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tax Credits?

most people get 80/ you can't find out unless they tell you confidential i charge non after schoolers a Minimum of four hours
    shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No we don't know about tax credits.

They are for the parents to claim and shouldn't make any difference to what you charge.

Hth

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mamasheshe View Post
    most people get 80/ you can't find out unless they tell you confidential i charge non after schoolers a Minimum of four hours
    The maximum you can recieve is 80% but you have to be on a low income and it's usually single parents (as i think you have to have a household income of under around £15,000) so i would say that most people def do not get 80% paid by tax credits.

aug 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi i charge £10 for after schoolers thats up to 6.pm from 3pm no matter what time they get picked up so its up to you but charge till 6.30 as thats the hours she may need you.

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Decisions!!!!!

aug 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

its your business if she want you till 6.30 charge her if she wants you till 6 some days but she cant tell you the day sthen charge her till 6.30 every day. Come on dont stumble at the first hurdle sam its you 2nd child start as you mean to go on be ruthless.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    The maximum you can recieve is 80% but you have to be on a low income and it's usually single parents (as i think you have to have a household income of under around £15,000) so i would say that most people def do not get 80% paid by tax credits.
    WSS, I don't know anyone amongst friends/family etc who gets 80% towards child care in tax credits. When I looked into it we would have got close to it once we had 2 children in nursery (think the figures were £80 in tc once we were paying £120pw, which was only £60 more than we already got, so only £60 of that was for the childcare element), with only one child in nursery we got nothing towards them as she was part time. It's really starting to wind me up on here how many people have the wrong idea of how they work.

Anyway, back to the OP, whether she's getting tax credits or not shouldn't make a difference to what you charge. I have a lo starting with me after easter, getting dropped at 8.30am for me to take to school at 9am and then collecting at 3pm till Mum gets back between 4 and 4.30pm, she was quite happy to pay my full school before/after charge which is £60 per week cos although he isn;t here the full time he is still using a space.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhazy View Post
    WSS, I don't know anyone amongst friends/family etc who gets 80% towards child care in tax credits. When I looked into it we would have got close to it once we had 2 children in nursery (think the figures were £80 in tc once we were paying £120pw, which was only £60 more than we already got, so only £60 of that was for the childcare element), with only one child in nursery we got nothing towards them as she was part time. It's really starting to wind me up on here how many people have the wrong idea of how they work.

Anyway, back to the OP, whether she's getting tax credits or not shouldn't make a difference to what you charge. I have a lo starting with me after easter, getting dropped at 8.30am for me to take to school at 9am and then collecting at 3pm till Mum gets back between 4 and 4.30pm, she was quite happy to pay my full school before/after charge which is £60 per week cos although he isn;t here the full time he is still using a space.
    I know a single mother who told me that she got 80% of her childcare paid for by the government.

But others are right on here - the average family would get nothing near that.

Nat

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ppl, and just incase i worded it funny i didnt mean i wanted to charge her just if she was going to be gettin it covered, i more ment i didnt want to charge her for time she wasnt using if they were going to be stuggling.
    But to 6.30 it is, if it turns out they only really use till 6 then ill alter it later!!!
    thanks

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazyhazy-- what does WSS mean please?

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    Crazyhazy-- what does WSS mean please?
    What She Said, was agreeing with you xx

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

ah ok thanks! I like these abbreviations but there's so many i get lost sometimes!

aly Guest

we are not a single family and when I rangthis week for poppy's playgroup they said 80%...whether there is a difference to the actual amount to start with im not sure.?

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post
    we are not a single family and when I rangthis week for poppy's playgroup they said 80%...whether there is a difference to the actual amount to start with im not sure.?
    Was it just a general enquiry you made or did you give them all the figures etc? It really does depend on your joint income, try putting your info in to www.entitledto.co.uk it's usually pretty accurate. It also seems to depend how much you are spending on childcare, when we only had one child and were spending £60pw we got nothing extra, but had she been in 3 full days at £120pw we'd have got £60pw back iyswim?

aly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhazy View Post
    Was it just a general enquiry you made or did you give them all the figures etc? It really does depend on your joint income, try putting your info in to www.entitledto.co.uk it's usually pretty accurate. It also seems to depend how much you are spending on childcare, when we only had one child and were spending £60pw we got nothing extra, but had she been in 3 full days at £120pw we'd have got £60pw back iyswim?
    Yeah gave full figures etc...works out to only £14 a week.

I can never get the entitled to website...it always comes out with different numbers.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When my dd was in the afterschool club it cost £15.00 a week (one session) and tax credits paid it all.