Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you expect to pay???

Hi all

I have been asked to have the 2 boys I look after over a weekend - keep them on the Friday after the eldest gets in from school and be they will be picked up at 11am on the Sunday morning. The weekend in question is the last May Bank Holiday as well.

When trying to work out how much it will be for the parents - I have worked out the hours between 8am-8pm which I would have them at time and a half, and it coming out at just over £168. So that's without anything for the 2 actual nights!!!

Do you think that parents (in general) understand, expect and are willing to pay that???? I really don't mind doing this job, as the boys are lovely and could do with the extra money too. But I don't want to give them an absolutely stupid figure, but at the same time I have to make it worth my while too.

Hate talking money with parents!!

Nat

Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What would you expect to pay???

Tough one.

Well you've already worked out a day time figure, so you need to think about more for the night time.

How old are the boys?

What time do they go to bed?

Are they good sleepers?

Will you be providing all meals?

Considering your day time rate works out at £168 then you have 2 nights to add on, how about settling for £250 or maybe that is too high £200 (I like nice neat round numbers)

Sorry I'm not being much help am I?!
    Lucy

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucy, thanks for your opinion. It all helps when you have to make this sort of decision. I have been asking around.

The boys are 3 and 9, so not likely to be getting up all through the night to them. The parents normally supply all their meals - hasn't mentioned whether this will be the case over the weekend, but it's not too much of a problem if I were to do this.

It's so hard, isn't it! I mean would you pay £200-£250 if it were you???

Nat

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do it for £150, but thats me. Its still alot of money for what you will be doing and you have them regularly anyway. xx
    Doodles

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have it in your registration that you can do overnights? How would you go about getting registered for that?

aly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Avon View Post
    Do you have it in your registration that you can do overnights? How would you go about getting registered for that?
    WHen you are at your preg-reg meeting with your inspector you mention it then but also on any documents you hand in before.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you've worked it out fairly - I would also charge half fees for the two nights.

It sounds a lot of money but there are two children and you are providing 24 hour care so it's not unreasonable.

I'd work out all the costs and then talk to mum - if she agrees the charges I'd ask for the money up front, just so there's no misunderstandings later on.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post
    WHen you are at your preg-reg meeting with your inspector you mention it then but also on any documents you hand in before.
    Thank you! I figure I will reg for everything, all ages and overnights and see what needs to be done to cover it and work on that. That wasy I am prepared to cover whatever comes my way!

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering you will be having to have ur eye on the ball all wkend then id say 200-250 is a fair figure, i mean its alot of care and gotta be worth ur while

Sept 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntym View Post
    Considering you will be having to have ur eye on the ball all wkend then id say 200-250 is a fair figure, i mean its alot of care and gotta be worth ur while
    i agree - some childminders would charge double time for this i think its very fair