Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Registered Childminder since
    October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!

I had to call my parents one day at lunchtime as i came down with a terrible sickness bug. I called the parents at about 11.30 and they came and picked up at 12.30, some a little sooner. I only have charged my clients for the few hours the children were with me - not for the time i was sick. HOwever, i have one client who is demanding that i pay her work fees (which she has had deducted, for leaving work to pick up the children), and also her creche fees as she decided to go back to work and put her children in another form of care?
    Am i wrong or should i do as she says?

july 20
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help!

hi, you do not have to pay her wages she lost nor do you have to pay her creche fees, that was her chioce, you do not have any of this in your contract, so NO you do not pay, she is being most unreasonable.

hazelx

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say no too. My sickness policy states that if I become unwell or any of my children become unwell and I am unable to continue minding they must come and collect their children immediately. No mention of being liable for any fees she may incur. It is her problem and you are not charging her for while you are unable to work. Most work places allow parents some family leave or whatever it is called for situations like this and the fact that she decided to pay a creche is her problem.

Annie x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree most definately no. This is her child and she would have moaned if he had become ill because of you. You are not charging her for the time the child was not with you so she can use that to pay for a creche, which was her decision anyway. Our contracts do not state that we are liable for any losses incurred if we are unable to have the children. You are not responsible for any of this - you were ill.

You are taking unpaid sick leave from your own business I am sure that she would expect to be able to take time off work without her employer demanding she pays for a temp.

Some parents are unbelieveable.

Juliaxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would take this to your insurance company - she is wrong but you might well need their backing to fight it... make a note of all conversations, write down everything that has happened and transcribe texts etc.

Ring insurance on Monday with all the facts and get it straight with them first.

Hope this helps

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this advice. I knew in my heart i was right but just needed to hear some support. She is saying that if i don't cover those costs and take 'responsibility for my actions' that she will take her children elsewhere. I guess its not the type of client i would want to keep anyway.
    x

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Help!

Thats fine let her take them where ever she wants she won't get any different cover no matter what. If you are a member of the NCMA then you can seek advice from their legal dept and they will support you should things get nasty.

Celine

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taiwallis View Post
    I guess its not the type of client i would want to keep anyway.
    x
    Absolutely! Don't let it get to you... xx

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Help!

Thats fine let her take them where ever she wants she won't get any different cover no matter what. If you are a member of the NCMA then you can seek advice from their legal dept and they will support you should things get nasty.

Celine

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's her child, it's her responsibility to pick the child up when you are ill. It can't be helped, you are not invincible, we all get ill sometimes! What is is asking seems ridiculous to me. I hope you get it sorted out ok.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Would she charge the school if her child were in Reception and she had to leave work because the boiler in the school broke or something? I think not. How utterly ridiculous.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a letter waiting on my doorstep first thing this am. The lady has decided to give me 4 weeks notice without consultatoin or trying to work this out. She has said that she was taken aback by my referral to my 'contractual obligations' and to the fact that i told her other parents have never asked for compensation for their work fees and alternative childcare fees. She says it 'actually smacks of a failure to take responsibility'. She also said she is not self centered and money doesn't control her - i think she is saying that it does me. She is also saying that sometimes she is 5 minutes early to pick up her kids and she doesnt ask for the money back! i now have to deal with the fact that the 4 weeks notice she has given me includes 2 weeks of me being 'on holiday' so therefore it is actually 6 weeks she needs to give (obvioulsy not pay for). I am not sure she will like that.
    x
    ps. sometimes wish i wasn't doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard anything like this Im only just catching up

Think she has a damn cheek to be honest

Sorry she wants to give notice now but do you really want a parent like this?

You are going to be well shut of her if you ask me

And what about asking if you were ok etc - no concern for you what so ever just all about herself

You are well rid of her

Hope you are ok

Angel xx

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly.. she doesnt have to have the 6 week notice. Tell her you will accept the 4 weeks notice including your holiday if she would rather find someone else. Let her pay for 4 weeks and then ****** off! What a stupid unreasonable woman!!

Good luck with this one! She sounds lovely

Dont worry about it! Her demands were unreasonable and I dont know of any childminder who would give her money for loss of earnings, thats just not how it works

x
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx

Pipsqueak Guest

I have pm'd you regarding a return letter!

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

re: 6 weeks notice. These children are for after school care - 4 - 6pm. I took them on for 1/2 term as a favour - 8am - 6pm as she hadn't arranged an alternative, she asked for it on the friday before half term, and luckily because of ages etc i was able to take them. So therefore it is not inthe contract. So they wouldn't be coming in the easter holiday when i am away - so therefore i would only get 2 weeks pay. I thought you were not allowed to include holiday - so therefore everyone gets their 4 weeks of money/care? Or are you suggesting that she can disappear when she likes but she must pay 4 weeks anyway. Also i ahve just noted (stupid i know) that i let her pay the last 2 months at the end of the month as her government money hadn't come through. i had contracted it as in advance but just noticed she has amended the contract. I did it, signed it sent it to her (stupid i know) as she was on holiday, she signed and brought it back but never said and i stupidly didn't check. - so it has both on the contract - in advnace and arrears.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

She sounds a nasty piece of work, dont worry all this will catch up with her any way.

Tell her you want the money for the notice in advance or you will not take the children. But if you have no contract you could stop having them NOW and drop her in it. This leaves such a nasty taste in the mouth. I suggest you tell all the minders in the area so they can avoid her.

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i do have a contract for after school 4 - 6pm. I am not sure legally i am in a position to turn around now and ask for it in advance, if i have accepted her paying it in arrears for the last 2 months? I am worried tho, that she may not pay at the end of the notice period - i have had someone do that to me before and it takes FOREVER through the courts.

Post Thanks / Like

You poor poor thing, It is unbelievable that this woman is doing this to you. Does she think that as she pays you that she has absolutely no obligation to her own children at all?
    You have been more than fair by not charging her for hours not used. She is trying it on, she will always be like this, she is one of those nasty people we sometimes meet in childminding (well all walks of life actually) who thinks the world owes her a favour and when things don't go her way just turns plain nasty.
    Try to speak to her to get fees agreed and when due etc etc and then get rid of her ASAP!!!!!

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

i just can't believe some parents. i have never heard of this before.
    i agree with wendy wu ask her to pay you in advance and if she won't don't have them.
    i am afraid that i think she will not pay you at the end of the 4wks notice
    i hope i am wrong.
    i think you will be better of without her

cathy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast