Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charging when in nursery , illegal???

I have only been minding a few weeks and dont have any children coming that attend nursery so never realised that most cm's charge for time while at nursery, I was going to just charge a retainment fee of 50% of the normal hourly rate.

I will be charging full fee for bank holidays even if they dont decide to use me ( but only if that day of the week is normally contracted) as I am available if necessary and if they decide to use me on bank holidays it will be double the fee as we all know most people get paid double for working bank holidays anyway so why shouldnt we!

dec03
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charging when in nursery , illegal???

I think your friends parents are trying to pull a fast one it sound like they want everything for nothing. And trying to cause trouble maybe you should tell them your full or see if they can find anyone else who does such long hours and weekend.I am sure they will have trouble to find someone with such flexible hours Some parents they dont know a good deal when they find one Good luck

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect this claim may have something to do with a recent news story which highlighted that the 'free' 15 hours that 3-4 year olds are entitled to are turning out not to be free because of the way that childcare providers (usually nurseries) are allowing parents to use them. I can't really cite any examples per se, but I guess this could be to do with them charging excessively for snacks/drinks/activities that happen while the children are in their care. So my DS's nursery, they would let us use 5 hours per day 8-1 but because he was there for mid morning snack and lunch and would use their resouces, they charged £5 per session. Not for care, but for 'sundries'> (I didn't have a problem with this by the way, as other nurseries wouldn't let you use any more that 3 hours a day from the grant so it worked out well for us). So I think the parents in this case have just got a bit confused with the legal side of things. Perhaps the provider of the nursery grant couldn't charge, but an unrelated childminder can set their fees however they want.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyC View Post
    I suspect this claim may have something to do with a recent news story which highlighted that the 'free' 15 hours that 3-4 year olds are entitled to are turning out not to be free because of the way that childcare providers (usually nurseries) are allowing parents to use them. I can't really cite any examples per se, but I guess this could be to do with them charging excessively for snacks/drinks/activities that happen while the children are in their care. So my DS's nursery, they would let us use 5 hours per day 8-1 but because he was there for mid morning snack and lunch and would use their resouces, they charged £5 per session. Not for care, but for 'sundries'> (I didn't have a problem with this by the way, as other nurseries wouldn't let you use any more that 3 hours a day from the grant so it worked out well for us). So I think the parents in this case have just got a bit confused with the legal side of things. Perhaps the provider of the nursery grant couldn't charge, but an unrelated childminder can set their fees however they want.
    This is a very old thread from 2009 - I think it's probably been resolved now!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents like to see how they Like to cut the corner, dont let you down ou are incharge. Warn parents before hand And be firm.... Take it or leave it. I know how you are feeling i have been in that stage not very nice feeling!!!!!X

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    This is a very old thread from 2009 - I think it's probably been resolved now!
    How on earth did someone manage to drag this up and comment on it

However, its an interesting thread - just gutted after reading through it that the OP never got back with what happened next ... I feel like the last page is missing in a murder mystery book! Booooo!

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

yes I thought the same Bridey - I guess we won't get an answer now 3 years on!!

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    yes I thought the same Bridey - I guess we won't get an answer now 3 years on!!
    Here's your answer- I spoke to my solicitor parent and this is her email word for word.

Hi Tara,
    I read your e-mail and laughed! Thank you.
    It amazes me the rubbish some people spout. I suppose some people love pretending to know everything must make them feel intelligent.
    In answer to your question - No, it's not Illegal to charge whilst a child is at nursery as they are using a place. That space is there for them to use when they need it. Another way of doing this would be to charge a retainer although personally if someone was really hung up on not paying for the space i'd politely tell them to move along.
    Remember you are 'self employed' this means you set the fee's and terms and conditions of using your service so to speak. For example you are well within your rights to charge for bank holidays.
    It does shock me that people are willing to pay £30 call out fee and £15 per hour for a plumber which would be £45 for a total of an hour just to take a u bend off and yet they argue about the cost of childcare.
    I do sympathize, however most parents can get help either through tax credits, university or college funding or vouchers through work in which a set amount is deducted from their wages before tax.
    Hope that answers your question.

Oh and the little monster has 'borrowed' toys from your house again, I have placed them in the pocket on his bag.
    We may have to start frisking him before leaving yours.
    Kindest Regards
    ******* *********'

So there you go from someone who knows her legalities - NO its not illegal.
    Wish we knew the outcome though.
    May pm the poster for an update x
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    Just had a thought, your friend should say she has to charge a retainer to keep the sapce available whilst the childs at nursery, there is deffinatly nothing illegal in that!!!
    this is what i do xxx
    Sarah xxxxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry folks - that would be my fault for dragging it up. I had used the search function to find something else and this thread must have been one of the seach results. Wasn't wanting to drag up upsetting memories, honest!!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I knew it was a load of rubbish, I was just wondering a) how the conversation with the stoooopid DO went and b) did the parent accept the minder's fees or did she start kicking up a fuss once the DO told her it was "illegal"

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved the parting shot Stardust

This was my son when he started at Playgroup!

Oh and the little monster has 'borrowed' toys from your house again, I have placed them in the pocket on his bag.

It is good to have our good practice confirmed.

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I loved the parting shot Stardust

This was my son when he started at Playgroup!

It is good to have our good practice confirmed.
    I know it made me laugh so I left it in when I copy and pasted it. The parent who wrote the email is amazing. She is always bring me things that I may find helpful like pots to put paint in.
    I always get the toys back so I don't mind x
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging when in nursery , illegal???

I have heard this before, about 2 years ago, not bluntly that it was illegal, but told by one of the top managers in Early Years that childminders should not charge to keep a place if a child is accessing a free place in a nursery or play school, as the point is that it is free. And I think the implication was that Early Years would take a very dim view if parents were charged by childminders.

She was not talking about not charging for a child the parents were paying to go elsewhere, but only if they are accessing FFE government funding.

Please bear with me, I am new to this, and this is my second post on the internet ever....

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a child last year whom was taken to pre school by mum in the morning but i picked up at 11.40. She needed me in the school holidays and i charged full fees as i am unable to fill that space am. She didnt have a problem with this. i hope its not illegal?!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234