Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charging when in nursery , illegal???

No looking at it again i think it means that we should only get paid for Bank Holidays that are part of the contracted days. So if you do not have a child on Mondays then you cannot be paid for any BH mondays. You should have worked mondays to get a BH monday as a paid holiday.

Remember the parent who came on here to say that her CM wanted paying for a full dayfor a BH monday during school holidays, when her child did not even go to the minder on a Monday. The CM stated that it was a BH and she got paid BHs.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    No looking at it again i think it means that we should only get paid for Bank Holidays that are part of the contracted days. So if you do not have a child on Mondays then you cannot be paid for any BH mondays. You should have worked mondays to get a BH monday as a paid holiday.
    I agree with the above interpretation of Bank holiday charging. If somone one is contracted to you on a Monday then you could charge them for the BH mondays but not the Good friday.w

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the handbook is out of date. NCMA are not issuing new ones. All information is supposed to be on the website now, so whatever 08/09 handbook says has been superceeded by the website.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tired View Post
    I think the handbook is out of date. NCMA are not issuing new ones. All information is supposed to be on the website now, so whatever 08/09 handbook says has been superceeded by the website.
    Hi
    http://www.*************/MainWebSite/C...65127461F3E3EF
    Just been on website and had a look at this, what Juggler and I were saying is that NCMA are saying we have to be available for work on bank holidays if we charge but they are also encouraging us to negotiate paid holiday leave which we cannot understand because if we cannot charge for bank holidays when we are not available how can we charge for our annual holidays because we are not available for work when on holiday.

Christine

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    Hi
    http://www.*************/MainWebSite/C...65127461F3E3EF
    Just been on website and had a look at this, what Juggler and I were saying is that NCMA are saying we have to be available for work on bank holidays if we charge but they are also encouraging us to negotiate paid holiday leave which we cannot understand because if we cannot charge for bank holidays when we are not available how can we charge for our annual holidays because we are not available for work when on holiday.

Christine
    That is definately how I would interpret the wording in the new contracts. Especially if I were a parent.

LOL

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I always charge when my mindees are at preschool if I drop off and collect them as they are using up a space.

With regard to charging for Bank Holidays - I don't charge unless they are contracted for that day and I never charge if I am away when it falls only when I'm here and could be available for work - but I charge an extra £4.00 ph if I work it - I've only ever had to work it once.
    Celest

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just found it in Who Minds (page 50). The latest NCMA hanbbook issued to me is the 2008/2009 and on page 72 it states that you should negotiate payment for bank holidays but should not charge if it is a day that you would not normally work. It gives the example of a child who you care for contracted for Thurs & Frid only stating that a fee might be appropriate for Good Fri but not Easter Monday because you would not normally work on a Monday. So now NCMA are contradicting themselves by saying we can't charge if we are not available on Bank Hols.

I must remember to take my handbook and who minds with me to the forum!

Christine
    This does make sense as you wouldn't charge for a day that you are not contracted for.
    Debbie

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Shall I ask too? We have NCMA's chair attending ours

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The contracts i used at work for staff always stated that they could be asked to work so i have never charged as i based it on this, also i work for a lot of nhs staff so bank hols are a normal day

DW is coming to see us at the drop in to discuss the charging at nursery, we are all ready for her

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    If I was the childminder I would get back on to the DW and ask her to justify her comments immediately and then I would report her to her superiors and whomever funds her

What a lot of tosh - we charge what we want - how dare she say that
    Ditto

I always charge whilst a child is at nursery unless I'm only dropping off or picking up and then it would have to be the same hours in the holiday too.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Shall I ask too? We have NCMA's chair attending ours
    oooh, yes. maybe you will get an answer from the top!

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    oooh, yes. maybe you will get an answer from the top!
    She is also coming to ours so I will mention it too.

Cx

June 98
    Post Thanks / Like

so, if you took a child out of nursery in the middle of their session for a couple of hours, do you think the nursery would deduct money off their bill ?? I think not !
    N ♥

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone questioned the DO as to where she is getting her info from.

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just found it in Who Minds (page 50). The latest NCMA hanbbook issued to me is the 2008/2009 and on page 72 it states that you should negotiate payment for bank holidays but should not charge if it is a day that you would not normally work. It gives the example of a child who you care for contracted for Thurs & Frid only stating that a fee might be appropriate for Good Fri but not Easter Monday because you would not normally work on a Monday. So now NCMA are contradicting themselves by saying we can't charge if we are not available on Bank Hols.

I must remember to take my handbook and who minds with me to the forum!

Christine
    this is how i am to believe it to be when i phoned ncma i said it was not their right to tell c/m's or parents how holiday pay is or is not to be paid as we are self employed and will charge what we want at a reasionable rate,, etc

but if we do not care for a child on a monday then we can not charge for a bank holiday monday!!! etc

and all bank holidays have to be pr-arranged because of different religions etc
    xxx

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I tutor for the NCMA and I have been told to tell new cm's they should charge as they are keeping the space for the child, basically who could fill that time with anyone else?

Allie

TheBTeam Guest

If the parent wants the space for the holidays, then you surely must have the right to charge a 'retainer' for the space during the term time, the retainer is 100% of your normal fee.

As for bank holidays the ncma book is now out of date, the contracts have been changed in the last few months.

jun 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

right this is what i do right or wrong if they expect me to drop off and pick up they are charged normal hourly rate but this will included me running up there and collecting the child if the child is unwell i will even go to there sports days and parents visits if the parents cant do it (shame)

if the parent want to drop off and i only collect i charge from there but the child while at nursery is not my resposibility atall and the parents will have to do the running around

Oct 02
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just wondering if there are any updates regarding this??

Feb02
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always charged when child is at pre school, unless parent takes and then I revise contract to change my hours to the time I collect. Where a child is with me from 8-6 I charge as I am taking the child and effectively 'on call' should the child fall ill/ have an accident.
    I charge for BH's when its a contracted day. And I take 4 weeks hol a year at full pay- parents almost always book their hols for the same weeks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast