Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charging when in nursery , illegal???

The parents had phoned the families information service about why they did not think they should pay for when the child is at nursery so they passed them onto DW, she then phoned my friend and gave her a hard time, but like i say my friend is very quiet and the DW is one of those in your face type

What i cant understand is they signed the contracts in July to start end of Sept and they went through everything very carefully and really tried to get my friend to do an as and when, but she held her ground and said they had to pay a minimum hours as they wanted all 7 days basically

cant wait to speak to dw worker on Monday

Post Thanks / Like

I would never discuss my fees with a dw it is none of their business how I get paid and what I charge for - its my business , my rules and its private between myself and a parent

I think shes got a cheek

Hope you get some answers on Monday maybe your friend misunderstood her?

Angel xx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What a cheek your DW has!!! I would be putting a complaint in if it was mine. Who is she to tell your friend what she can and cannot charge. She should have told the parents whatever the cm charges is entirely up to her but to tell them she is acting illegally

Hope you and your friend sort it out. Feel for your friend as she is now in position where the parents will be dictating terms to her.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by childmind04 View Post
    DW has been on to phone to my friend advising her that she has informed the parents she is acting illegally, cm has not yet spoke to the parents
    The DW actually said this! I would definately be reporting her to her superior. If she is anything like our DW actually this sort of thing would not surprise me. Our DW knows nothing about childminding practically or how it works and hasn't worked in a nursery for about 20 years.

I think I would also be giving notice to these parents due to the breakdown of trust in the relationships. If they are going behind her back to find out if what's she is doing is right and trying to dictate terms to her.
    Last edited by The Juggler; 05-09-2009 at 09:03 AM.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by childmind04 View Post
    If i take a child to nursery and collect i charge normal fee to keep space in holidays or tt days, always stipulated this in contracts never had any probs sounds right to me this is what I would do

My friend also does and has signed a new contract with new parents starting in a few weeks whos dd will go to nursery 1pm-3.10pm, the parents agreed to this after phoning every cm around and got told no one would do it or they also charged more ph etc, as they need flexible care including 9pm finishes and weekends,the parents have since been onto our DW who has rang my friend and said she has told the parents what she is doing is illegal so they signed the contract agreeing to these terms so that makes it legal surely.

Anyone have any info on this?
    [COLOR="Blue"]I would ask the DW what is illegal about it and what has it to do with them what she does in er business/COLOR]

I am so angry for my friend as she has bent over backwards for these parents and they are still trying to get the bill down even though they say their child means everything and money is not an issue, i personnaly wish they would phone me as they would be told how good a deal they are getting, no higher charge for evenings or weekends and 30 hours over 5 days anything between 7am and 9pm weekends too
    Everything always comes down to money doesn't it
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    I would never discuss my fees with a dw it is none of their business how I get paid and what I charge for - its my business , my rules and its private between myself and a parent

I think shes got a cheek

Hope you get some answers on Monday maybe your friend misunderstood her?

Angel xx
    I have this every year when we have the audit as they TELL me I have to put my fees down and I say no I don't. Have only just added them to my website as I am fed up of people ringing to ask what I charge and then not being interested so it will stop time wasters ringing me hopefully.

Recently I went on the childcare link website to find on my details my fees from 2003 and offering a sibling discount of 50% which I soon changed. Apparently i had updated my info with this info err I don't think so as haven't updated in ages.
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mummyroysof3 View Post
    they advised that on my icp course and isnt it in the NCMA handbook?

charlotte x
    There is something in the NCMA handbook (pages 77 -78).

Cx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I explain it as they are not paying for my time but are paying for a childcare space and if they choose not to use the space that is down to them but the space is available to be used and must be paid for - same as holidays/sickness etc.

What a wonderful DW. Luckily ours seems to be pretty good.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the DW mentioned above is a nightmare! Up untill now my DW has been very good, she was a childminder for 10 years and is very supportive. I am shocked that she has spoke like this. Does she know what sort of trouble could come from this?
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like parents maybe trying it on......i will be charging as taking up a space....hope your friend sorts it out cx

Jan 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sticking up for the DW as I have always charged whilst children are at ursery, if I could not do this, I would simply give notice to all my nursery aged children! However, I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent publicity regarding not being aloud to charge for BH unless you actually wotk them. I have always charged for BH but never worked them. I know that on a BH I am not available for work and I am whilst their at nursery, so I can't see the link, I'm just wondering why a DW would give this information as it seems to be coming from more than one county.

Jan 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had a thought, your friend should say she has to charge a retainer to keep the sapce available whilst the childs at nursery, there is deffinatly nothing illegal in that!!!

Mar 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Graded 6
    Post Thanks / Like

What if she also if she says that she is on call the whole time the child is in nursery?

We've had a lot of times recently where the power was off in nursery or it was flooded. When the kids got there, - it would be shut, or we'd be called back at short notice; and i'd just have to have mindees all morning at short notice! If they don't pay whilst the child is in nursery, she wouldn't be called back - they would! Same goes for if child was poorly, she would be on call all through time in nursery if they pay for space otherwise if child is poorly they will be called to come back from work to pick up - they won't be so keen then. And what about when nursery is on holiday, if only paying for the hours child is out of nursery then your friend 'in theory' could fill the space with another child. They wouldn't be happy to find out the in the holidays their child may not have childcare just ready to be called upon! I'm assuming its a term time nursery? Putting it across like this usually gets most parents to pay as during holidays they ASSSSSUMME you'll automatically just take the child. If they think you might just fill the space then who knows?

Barbara x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    I'm not sticking up for the DW as I have always charged whilst children are at ursery, if I could not do this, I would simply give notice to all my nursery aged children! However, I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent publicity regarding not being aloud to charge for BH unless you actually wotk them. I have always charged for BH but never worked them. I know that on a BH I am not available for work and I am whilst their at nursery, so I can't see the link, I'm just wondering why a DW would give this information as it seems to be coming from more than one county.
    However, even that doesn't really make sense as legal guidance. if you can't charge for BH because you're not available then you shouldn't charge for any holidays (which NCMA do advise us to have). It's something I hope to bring up at the regional forum in 2 weeks.

LOL

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    However, even that doesn't really make sense as legal guidance. if you can't charge for BH because you're not available then you shouldn't charge for any holidays (which NCMA do advise us to have). It's something I hope to bring up at the regional forum in 2 weeks.

LOL
    I'm intending to bring this up too at our forum 3rd october

Cx

TheBTeam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    I'm intending to bring this up too at our forum 3rd october

Cx
    Me too, because i even emailed this question to ncma and they did everything but answer it!!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBTeam View Post
    Me too, because i even emailed this question to ncma and they did everything but answer it!!
    maybe between us we might get a sensible answer. our forum's on 19th September so I'll let you know if any news from that.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

maybe between us we might get a sensible answer. our forum's on 19th September so I'll let you know if any news from that.
    My latest NCMA handbook is the 2008-2009 and that still talks of being paid on bank holidays even if you are not working. I know that this has now changed but cannot remember where I read it - was it in Who Minds? If I want to take this forward I want to make sure that I have my facts right.

Cx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It has changed in the new contracts so you have to state when you are available or not and whether you will charge or not and, yes, I think who minds discussed it.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It has changed in the new contracts so you have to state when you are available or not and whether you will charge or not and, yes, I think who minds discussed it.
    Just found it in Who Minds (page 50). The latest NCMA hanbbook issued to me is the 2008/2009 and on page 72 it states that you should negotiate payment for bank holidays but should not charge if it is a day that you would not normally work. It gives the example of a child who you care for contracted for Thurs & Frid only stating that a fee might be appropriate for Good Fri but not Easter Monday because you would not normally work on a Monday. So now NCMA are contradicting themselves by saying we can't charge if we are not available on Bank Hols.

I must remember to take my handbook and who minds with me to the forum!

Christine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast