Bank Holiday Fees
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    amirose Guest

Default Re: Bank Holiday Fees

Quote Originally Posted by FizzysFriends View Post
    I had this with the CM I used, she took Christmas off but billed me for Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years day. I refuse to pay!

No sorry that's outrageous! So much for Christmas spirit

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Cartledge View Post
    Hi,

I agree with you clare that under normal circumstances i would not charge for bank holidays unless i was available to work.

I have a simple mantra for customers - if i am available for work i get paid if not i don't. Keeps things simple.

Hope you manage to sort things with your cm
    thats exactly how i work

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

to me its simple, if i'd not prepared to work then i wont charge!

If i'm available and they don't come then they pay

We all run our businesses differently, but i can't see how we can charge if we don't work that day.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your minder is very fair i charge for all bank holidays and never work them . All the childminders in my area charge 5 weeks full pay per year i started last year charging full pay for 4 weeks hol no parent has complained
    In fact most of them said to me was wondering when you were going to start charging all our freinds pay for their childminders hols.
    Hope you sort it out especially if it is your freind
    Linx

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do charge for bank holidays but never work them.......I have aways done so and make sur that all parents are clear about it before we all sign the contract.

However - in this situation I woud not have charged as off for the week.......I do not charge for my holidays and if I was off for the whole week then I wouldn't have been working on the Monday regardless if it was a bank holiday or not.........does that make sense?

To give an example a couple of years ago I was away over Christmas. As I say normally I charge bank holidays but in that circumstance I didn't charge for Christmas & Boxing day as I was away and they were in the middle of my holiday.

HTH

Dee
    xx
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I think your minder is very fair i charge for all bank holidays and never work them . All the childminders in my area charge 5 weeks full pay per year i started last year charging full pay for 4 weeks hol no parent has complained
    In fact most of them said to me was wondering when you were going to start charging all our freinds pay for their childminders hols.
    Hope you sort it out especially if it is your freind
    Linx

i don't understand this one either, ok we should be entitled to holiday pay but how can we expect parents to pay childcare twice, I'm assuming all parents can't have the sametime of as us, so that means they would be paying two cms for that week?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ke30 View Post
    i don't understand this one either, ok we should be entitled to holiday pay but how can we expect parents to pay childcare twice, I'm assuming all parents can't have the sametime of as us, so that means they would be paying two cms for that week?
    I have 2 weeks paid holiday per year and the parents all know this when signing up with me. I take it in one go and the parents usually take the same time.
    Debbie

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    Wow that was a curt reply. This was a parent asking questions nothing more.

was just thinking the same. we need to at least look objective to parents if we're going to give ourselves a better image with them!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as contract states you have to pay for bank hols then I don't think there is much you can do.

I don't charge for bank holidays because I am unavailable to work, so I can understand where you are coming from.

I can understand it feels wrong to you but you did sign the contract to agree to bank hols, hun.

I hope you get it sorted out with your childminder. x

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amirose View Post

No sorry that's outrageous! So much for Christmas spirit
    She put her rates up at Christmas too to I had to pay her holiday on the same day she announced she was having weeks off. DD never went back after Christmas break nor did I pay her any of the outstanding money (she also left DD with her school children when she had to go out).

Pipsqueak Guest

hello claire - you have already had lots of replies and I will just throw my pennyworth in now.

I don't charge for any of my holidays but I do charge for bank/public holidays. If I am wanted to work by the parent then a higher rate applies. This is the only paid holidays I ask for throughout the year.

If I had taken a week of that incorporated a bank holiday, I must admit that I would have made it clear that I was taking Tues-Fri off and that the bank holiday was still to be paid but I think in this circumstance, if this wasn't made clear - I don't think I would be including this charge within my weeks holiday as that week I was not prepared to work. I think that makes sense!

Hope you and your minder get it sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to say thank you to all of you for your comments and advice.

Enjoy the half term (if you're still in it)

Clarey xx

july 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

hi everyone....

this is my way lol

i charge normal rate for bank/public hols regardless as my policy states that
    " although i do not usually work bank/public holidays, these are payable at normal hourly rate. However if you require me to work on such days, 4 weeks notice is needed and a higher rate of pay expected."

so you can see i do intend to rest on a bank holiday (with payment) i am however making my self avaliable with the right amount of notice. i feel that it is a fair way to work. after all as some have already pointed out it like 8 paid days per year compared to 20 days that employed people get.

on the other hand the ones that i look after on say tuesday, wed and thurs dont have to pay that day yet some minders in y area charge the bank hols regardless...lol wish i could have the bulls to pull that one off!

process if registration
    Post Thanks / Like

i work bank holidays as normal rate was thinking about changing it to time and half but then wasnt sure lol if im not available for work i dont charge

leanne

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum

This is my way - i dont charge for my holidays (1 wk easter, 1 wk august and 1 wk christmas) but i do charge for Bank Holidays as i do work them, this is at increase of £1 per hour, if a parent chooses not to send their child then they pay their normal rate for the day. Simply, if i can work then they can pay

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that if she isn't available to work then she shouldn't charge, regardless of the day. If she charges then she ought to be available, although at a higher rate and with a degree of notice.

I don't charge the parents who do use me but do charge the one who does - like lishylee so far I've been charging my normal rates for this but intend to increas the fees for bank holidays.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tbh I think the cm is being a little cheeky. She clearly wasnt prepared to work but wanted paying - sorry if this upsets anyone.

Did she give you the holiday in notice just wondered if she stated tues-fri.

I dont charge if Im not available.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Just found her note on what holiday she is taking, and it says '25th - 29th May' so the whole facade was really her just trying to wangle an extra day's pay seeing as her contract also says that her holidays are not payable.

I don't like being pedantic, but like people trying to get money out of me when money is v scarce anyway even less.

Thanks again ladies, you have all been very helpful

:-)

Clare

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would feel the same way as you Clarey and I would not be happy to pay for a day that she's not prepared to work.

I never charge for bank holidays because I am not available, however, if I am desperately needed I would work if possible for time and a half. I think that I am self-employed and the parents of any mindees I have do not owe me a living, I get paid for what I work. I don't charge for my holidays at all but I do charge full for theirs as I am there and ready to work if you see what I mean.

I agree with you and think your childminder is being really cheeky to try and charge you for this.

It's a very awkward situation isn't it. I feel that she probably arranged to have that week off thinking that she could have 5 days off and yet still be paid for one of them on purpose.

That said, I don't know your childminder and this is just the impression I get from the information given.

Childminders are self-employed and, as such, can charge however they feel fair and I know lots of c/m's do charge for bank holidays even though they wouldn't actually work them. It's a matter of personal choice and point of view.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clarebearzimba View Post
    Just found her note on what holiday she is taking, and it says '25th - 29th May' so the whole facade was really her just trying to wangle an extra day's pay seeing as her contract also says that her holidays are not payable.

I don't like being pedantic, but like people trying to get money out of me when money is v scarce anyway even less.

Thanks again ladies, you have all been very helpful

:-)

Clare
    In that case if it was me then I wouldn't charge...I would have made it clear that it was the Tues-Friday that was being taken as holiday...perhaps the best way forward is a compromise of 1/2 fees for that day? If you are happy with the care she provides in general then this is what I would suggest...as CM's we have to work closely with the families of the children in our care, so a good relationship is essential...it seems a shame to fall out over a day's money....
    Hope you manage to get it sorted amicabaly (sp).
    Blaze x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12