Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mother says ing cant pay when off

I agree with everyone else....stick to your guns! Basicually my rule of thumb is that I dont charge if I'm not available to mind, so my sickness, that of my children or my holidays are unpaid.

You could say to her that as you give plenty of notice for your own holidays she could if she wished coincide her own holiday around yours so that she doesnt have to pay for her time off, but you would still be expected to be paid for any leave / sickness that she take when you are available for work.

Thats what I do and so far havent had any problems.
    x-x peggy x-x

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i charge full for mindees illness and holidays but nothing for mine yet iv still had a parent try and get out of paying so i offered her choice to terminate contract she went to see a day nursery who had the same policy as me and charged when they didn't open i.e bank hols and xmas and she soon had her tail between her legs and apologised to me

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Your business, your rules!

If it was me, I would deffinatley get payment in advance each month. She sounds as though she's the type to query everthing and refuse to pay for certain things.
    Also suggest she takes her holidays to coinside with yours.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annie_T View Post
    what i was thinking .. i have just written a policy on payment (see below).
    Do you think its ok ?

Payment Policy

Our contract is a legal binding agreement.
    The contracted times must be kept where possible.
    Reviews are arranged every 6 or 12 months or when needed.
    Payments must be paid on the agreed date, in full.
    I have the right to charge a late fee.
    Payment is still required when your child does not attend due to illness, holidays and so on.
    I do not charge for my own holidays.

Writing a policy doesn't mean anything.

Put everything you want in your contract and make sure she initials everything then is an addition.
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Debbie - make sure everything is covered in your contract.

If you fill it in together and you make sure she understands what she is signing then you have covered yourself.

Miffy xx

May 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the NCMA contracts and have put that I have 4 weeks holiday, which I thought meant that I could take up to 4 weeks holiday a year.

As I cant afford to take more than a weeks holiday without pay at the moment, due to circumstances, does that mean the parent can have four weeks off without paying me, ie, for their own holiday.

I have been 'told' by a parent that I will have to give her a free week, as she does have some of her holidays the same weeks as me.

Needless to say I will be amending my contracts in future. Another thing I didnt forsee!

may 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbrom44 View Post

I have been 'told' by a parent that I will have to give her a free week, as she does have some of her holidays the same weeks as me.
    !

Does it have in your contract that parents pay full fee for their holidays?
    I wouldn't except it if a parent told me i had to give them a free week cos they were taking them the same time as me, thats their choice at the end of the day dont let them dictate how you run your business.

Jo

May 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have hardened to parents as the years have gone by, but I was a little shocked to be honest. She knows my situation, so I thought she was being very unfair.

I just wondered where I stand legally if she was to persue this argument.

may 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

yes she is being unfair, if it doesnt say in your contract that she can take a week 'free' then there are no repucations, was anything agreed prior? has she done this before?

If however it does say in the contract that she can take a week 'free' per year then you have to honour it, although i think if you need it to change then its time for a contact review.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

Jo

May 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding.
    Post Thanks / Like

My contracts say that if I am on holiday there is no fee, but if child is away it is full fee. There is a space to put on NCMA contracts, how many weeks. I wrote 4, but only meant that I could take up to 4.

It is just that I have four weeks every year and inform parents in January when I will take them. This parent usually has alot more holiday than me, but still has my weeks and extra. She only doesnt send the child if I am not working, when she is off. This year however, my husband was made redundant the first week in January. He was out of work for 8 weeks, so money is tight at the moment. We had to rely on my salary, so obviously I couldnt take 4 weeks holiday unpaid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12