in a very awkward dilemma,please help .....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default in a very awkward dilemma,please help .....

I have just lost 2 of my mindees last friday.I had 3 days notice and no fees paid,meaning that for the next 3 weeks i am absolutely broke. This could be a case for the small claims court ,you may think, but the problem is ,the mum has been my friend for 20 years, i have loved her kids like my own in this time and even when i was minding them, they got the best. She has rung me and said that if she owes me any fees, can I invoice her and that she can only pay me at the end of the month.
    I was gutted at her sudden leaving and helped her out greatly with packing etc. But now i feel quite mad that she has left me with no money,as she was my biggest payer. My problem is i am going to invoice her for some fees, but how much ,i dont know, would love some advice on this as I am still gutted about the kids going and cant think straight at the moment . Thanks

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: in a very awkward dilemma,please help .....

Its very straight forward. She has asked you to invoice her anyway so you just do it in line with your contract, If she has not given you any notice - 3 days is not notice- then she will be liable for whatever your notice period is - in full. At least she is offering to pay which is more than some parents do. A cm friend of mine has had to threaten legal proceeding recently before getting ,money.

I hope your friend realises how good you have been to her and if you have been friends this long i feel sure you will carry on on good terms. Its better to get the money at the end of the month than not at all!

Pipsqueak Guest

i am guessing that perhaps the parent(s) have been made redundant or something drastic like that? (sorry if i am wrong)

as penny has said - at least mum has said to invoice her so do it in line with your contract.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would invoice all of it friend or not she knows the terms of the contract and she has failed to give adequate notice
    good luck in whatever you decide but me it would be full fee

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Sat/Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I sympathise, it's nice to work for friends but awful when it comes to sorting the money out. I have to agree with the others, invoice her for the full amount.
    Good luck, sorry can't be more help.
    x

Post Thanks / Like

What a shame

Has this wrecked your friendship with her ?

I presume if shes asked for an invoice she is still speaking to you

Why did you only get 3 days notice and not the usual 4 weeks though ?

Treat her like you would any other parent

Hope you get your money

Angel xx

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree and connot stress enough about not working for friends or family. It doesnt work and can get very awkward. Shes asked you to invoice her so invoice her for the lot. You have to think of number one here friend or not. How are you going to pay your bills otherwise?
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your advice,as my friend even though she has said invoice her,i know that she will be hoping that i say "oh forget it" but i cant afford to do that so i think i will ask her for half of what she should pay me due to valuing her friendship, and see how that goes.
    Also her reasons for leaving were nothing to do with losing a job or worse,all i can say is you would need to know her to see were im coming from lol.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If this person is a friend she will know that she has to pay.

Stick to the terms of your contract and invoice her for the notice period as agreed and signed to.

Don't feel guilty about this, you are a business not a charity
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would invoice her as per contract. Next time take a four week deposit when the contract is signed and hold it until the end of the contract.

I have done this for a long time now and it means I am not out of pocket in a situation like this one.