keeping places open without charging?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy keeping places open without charging?

i will be finishing a school run soon for a parent who i look after there 4 children but they still want me for holidays only starting from Sept. i told them they will have to pay a small fee for the places to be kept open as it is 4 children ages 10, 9, 6, and 4. Am i being greedy as i did tell them that i will loose alot of money if i only do holidays only and i could fill there places with children who want me every week. The parents don't want to pay me if i am not having there children in the week but want garrantted places and they said they will give me at least 4 weeks notice if they require me. i told them i don't work like that but unless they don't pay me a small fee in the week i can't garranttee there places. Any suggestions please i have had these children for 12 months now and i thought i had a good relationship with the parents up untill now as they have asked me to do cash in hand (i wont) but i told them this doesn't solve the situation as this is my business.

JUNE 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: keeping places open without charging?

I will also be interested in the answers to your question as i am loosing one that i have every day after nursery as she is off to school but mum wants full time care in holidays
    "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would ask for a 50% retainer for the holidays for the 2 under 8's.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you find term time only children this would solve your dillema, but it's not that easy. If I were you I would fill your vacancies and tell the parent that she will have to contact you nearer the time to see if you can have the 4 children in the school hoildays. If she does'nt want to pay a retainer this is the risk she is taking. Good luck.

April08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good nov 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive just had this, but only one child, said the same thing couldnt promise I could hold the space, she knows that I need to financaily fill the place full time, said I would let her know as soon as poss if I did fill it but she said she wouldnt pay any retainer for the space if not here, so in a text message told me that she would look else were, has ended up using the schools holiday club. lol

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My holiday only Mindee's pay a 50% retainer. I can't afford to keep spaces open with no income.

I think the parents would find it very hard to find any childcare provider who would not need a retainer, so I think you should stick to your guns.

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge a retainer, but I have term time only so it balances itself out.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Why did the parent want you to take 'cash in hand'? What benefit would it be to them? I know lots of minders get paid cash but obviously it still goes through their books.

xx

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with debbie re doing half retainer for under eights. You can't really do retainer for over eights as they are not counted in your numbers, unless it is imperitive that you keep to a certain number of chi8ldren in the holidays for some transport arrangements etc.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Debbie also on this one - no retainer then they run the risk of no place - simple its business!

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

But remember if you get an enquiry for a full timer term time & holiday and you are accepting a retainer (less than full pay) from the first family you could lose the new full timer.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Shar. If they don't want to pay a retainer and you have the chance to fill the spaces (especially the under 5's space) I would and tell the parents that it will be pot luck as to whether you have a space available during the holidays! Parent's can't expect you to keep spaces open that you are not being paid for!!!!!