Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Payment

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Payment

Hello there, I've just discovered this site and am pleased to find somewhere I can get some answers to my neverending questions! I haven't found any 'mindees' yet but am wondering, when I do, how to go about taking payment. ie. should I ask parents to pay weekly or monthly? And should I accept whatever payment method they want to use or should I get them to set up a bank transfer? I think I'd prefer the latter as it saves having to go the bank all the time etc...I'd be interested to hear what everyone else does, thanks.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Payment

It depends, I would advise always asking for a deposit of (usually) 2 weeks fee from them to secure your services. I personnally have a mixture of weekly paying and monthly paying parents. This depends on how they are paid. Most pay in advance and this is definitely preferable when you are starting up and when you don't know the people you will be working for.
    Again I personally have a mixture of advance and arrears (though it's only a couple of the weekly payers that pay in arrears and I trust them implicitly)

You can ask for whatever form of payment is best for you. I have some that pay via childcare voucher schemes which go directly into my bank account. Another pays by monthly standing order. Others pay by cash or cheque. If you are going to ask them to pay directly into your bank account you have to trust them to pay you on the correct days and the correct amount. Personally as a new childminder I would probably advise going for cash or cheques as at least you have the money in your hand and you can begin the trust building process.
    In cloud cuckoo land somewhere

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need to write a fees policy that states exactly what you do and do not accept.

We all do different things and it really is about what suits you.

You can look on your local CIS website for ideas of what other childminders are doing in your area.

Happy advertising!

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fees policy is best but also it depends on the way the parents get paid, eg i have 3 sets of parents, 1st pay me cash each month, 2nd i get a cheque termly from them from college, 3rd i get paid monthly into bank from care to learn (teenage parents going bk into education)

if they are a private family thats not through an outside agency like care to learn then ask for the fees to be paid in advance either weekly or monthly the parents may be on tax credits and get paid monthly for the childcare part, its different for each family,

ive started to do invoices in advance so parents will get a letter showing Feb. fees and how they are worked out to include any holidays or changes ..

asking for money is the hardest part of the job for me, so start how you mean to go on, do not let parents walk over you because we are shy asking for our money its your buisness not a charity

good luck xxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always take two weeks fees as a deposit which I keep until the end of the contract, they have to pay it when they sign the contact and if they dont I wont sign it until I have the money.

All my parents pay in advance, first Mon of the month or first day of the week that I care for their child.

This helps safeguard against slow payers and gives you money in hand if the walk out. Never in 14yrs have I had any problems doing this so I would start the way you mean to go on.

I never give any parents my bank details so none are able to pay by standing order but I personally dont like giving strangers my bank details.

Some pay by cheque.

Some use nursery vouchers which means YOU need to register with the company, I am with 3 at present Care4, Busy Bees, and Accor. They hold you bank details and when the parent pays them they transfer the money into your account it works very well. If a parents company uses vouchers the parent should bring you a pack with a registration form which you send direct to the voucher company. You only do it once.

Some pay cash.

I have a cheque book style reciept book for each set of parents so I can keep track and if there is a query you can maintain confidentiality.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya,

I'm just starting up too and plan to get payments 4 weeks in advance on a standing order to avoid hassle,

Liz

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I take a month in advance on contracts been signed or the first day of care to cover myself therfore they pay month in advance , some pay me cash some by bank transfer but I dont take cheques as sometimes i cant get to the bank to put them in , whatever works for you really, like Sarah ha said though you do need to do a policy covering fees etc tooutline exactly what you policy ison payments etc xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to have my money in the bank on the 1st of each month. I send an invoice out on the 20th and most pay straight into my account, either with vouchers or transfers

There are some parents who cannot afford this and you may have to be flexible.

I had one sign up today who is paying on the Friday of the first 3 weeks and the monthly in advance - this is risky as I will have worked a week for nothing but it is short term.

I always say to parents that I am not paid to take their children to the bank each week and justify my monthly billing that way.
    Debbie