Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Working Xmas Day?

I broached this subject with my fiance not too long ago to see what he thought about me working Christmas day and he said that Christmas is a time for children, so the more the merrier! I would charge triple my usual hourly rate, so £10.50 an hour.

It seems such a shame for the little one to miss out on a proper traditional Christmas as her mum has to work and she has no other family. I think every child deserves a happy Christmas.

As long as you don't drink (i don't drink anyway) I think it's a good idea. Just think of the extra cash you'll have to spend in the January sales!!!
    Last edited by OrlandoBelle; 28-11-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the first post again two points spring to mind. The child is new to the setting so it is not like she has been full time for 3 or 4 years. So i do not feel she should be spending christmas in a new environment. Also the parent has only been ASKED to work Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I feel she should put family before money. The little one should be with her Mum at Christmas panic:
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I was asked to work over xmas inc boxing day tho not xmas day, ive decided not to do boxing day as we are having 10 in our house as it is and its not overly big but ny eve and ny day i am charging 10.00 an hour
    Marie.

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

hello

growing up my dad was a fireman, so it was not unusal for him not be be there for part of the day, he would either be working days or nights.so we just had to arrange xmas around that, if he was working nights then we would have xmas early, if he was working days we would have it late.

But then we would be at home with mum and my brother and our extended family.

i do feel for her, life must be difficult. My parents live in NZ so I know it is difficult without family around.

The little girl deserves a special day

x
    Sarah

june 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry but there is no way no matter what amount i would work christmas day my dh would go mad!
    its our family day i left working for social services so i could eat drink and be merry ova xmas
    my sons would not like sharing there new toys!
    christmas is for families
    this may sound harsh but hey ho
    it also says she has only bin asked to work not that she has too so i'd look into that if she doesn't hav to work why shud u?
    xx

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It would depend on whether I was at home for Christmas - wouldn't take non family to my in laws but would probably be able to take them to my parents amd it would depend on the mindee and her mum. I would probably have the mindee, then stop charging her at pick up time but invite mum to dinner as well especially if they are on their own. My rate would be double pay but I can be soft and might just be normal pay depending on the families situation.

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sskent08 View Post
    hello

growing up my dad was a fireman, so it was not unusal for him not be be there for part of the day, he would either be working days or nights.so we just had to arrange xmas around that, if he was working nights then we would have xmas early, if he was working days we would have it late.

But then we would be at home with mum and my brother and our extended family.

i do feel for her, life must be difficult. My parents live in NZ so I know it is difficult without family around.

The little girl deserves a special day

x
    Having spent lots of Christmas's on my own due to Hubby being on duty it would not bother me to have a kiddy here Xmas day, but not sure I would like to have 6 kids (Being selfish I know) Poor little kid I always tried to make Christmas extra special when we had Foster Kids with us . My Family are away to .

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have much family in this country and we don't spend christmas with them, so I wouldn't hestiate to have a mindee, and I would also invite mum to dinner too.

It must be incredibly sad for her, and I may only have been in this country a few years, but my work contract specifically says that I may have to work Xmas etc if rota'd and we only get a day off in lieu so, no extra pay, though normal staff get 3x for Xmas.

I probably wouldn't charge either, and have mindee as a guest, then at least we could carry on as a normal Xmas day, just with an extra LO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123