Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Working Xmas Day?

A little child can actually bring a lot of joy to a Christmas Day celebrations, even if just for the day - growing up, we used to have kids join us from a local orphanage and they loved it, so did we. We kept in contact with some of them.

For a few years we also went to an inner city hospital in Joburg after church on Christmas Day, to take pressies for those who had no family visit them on Christmas Day. They were too sick to go home.

We especially used to go to the terminal ward for children - there's nothing more special than seeing a child give you a broad smile and hold your hand, even though they don't know you. We sang carols with the kids and helped make their Christmas special.

I was a child myself at the time... and this meant the world to me!

My friends at school thought it weird and felt sorry for me, saying ''You must have had a horrible Christmas Jenny'' - where the reverse was actually true.

Anyway, for us the true gift at Christmas is Jesus - not pressies... and so to bring a bit of joy and laughter into a hospital ward on a bright Christmas Day is probably the best present we could have brought them.

Because of my childhood Christmas Day experiences, I think it rather special having an extra child/friend at a loose end with no family spend the day with us - and to be paid for it??? I am okay with this Just don't expect observations haha!!!!!
    Jen

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want to work over Christmas but I understand how you feel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DudleyChildmind View Post
    I wouldn't want to work over Christmas but I understand how you feel
    Me too!!!!!!! having said that my 4 are all teenagers now so its not quite the same, it might be quite nice having a lo around on christmas day again (only trouble is i'd spend what i earn for the day buying presents for lo to open)

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont think i will sleep tonight thining about it. Hubby doesnt want me to do it as its family time but I keep thinking about the little one who will be 10 months old and she is no bother and whats a few little parcels for her to open.

Im thinking if I do work then I would charge £10 and hour, does that seem okay?

Why cant things be straight forward. Wish I wasnt so soft.
    Fiona xx

Post Thanks / Like

OH gosh how difficult for you Fi, and what a lovely person you are to consider it.

I have to say my hubby wouldnt let me, and i wouldnt expect my children to share their day but thats just me, sorry xmas is a special time for me and my family, maybe im a bit selfish!!!!

Bit of a dilema for you xxxxx
    Lou xx

Pipsqueak Guest

I think what you need to balance here is with your family - your husband will see it purely as work won't he and he wants you and the kids all to himself.

Perhaps you can make a list of pros and cons and talk it through with him,
    make the promise that it will be a one off (especially as little one is so young) and also reiterate to mum that it is only a one off.

It sounds like you want to do it - what do your kids think? Think with your business head on as well as your mum head, try not to let your heart come into it.

Is there really no one else who can help this mum out - what if you can't do it - what then - what alternative will she find?

I would make it very very clear to mum that although you are charging (extra!!!) if you are going to do it - you more than likely will be having a glass or two of pop (ooooh can feel the Ofsted glare) and lo will be treated like one of the family. Think I haven't explained this well - sorry

Personally I wouldn't - this is my family time

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    My family come first ... alcohol a close second
    My kind of woman!
    Monkey by Name........Monkey by Nature!

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

like spangles it would depend on the mindee if i worked xmas or not
    i certainly worked easter with one little one who's parents had a cafe/ bistro and she just fitted in wiht what ever we did so i couldn't see if being any different to that.

she even kept my ;ot from fighting as they wanted to entertain her the whole time

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its easy money as shes a wee darling and you dont even know shes here and my daughter loves her to bits .

It would be a 7.30am start until 4pm . We would be up anyway and she would be away home before we have dinner as we could have it at 4pm instead of 3.30. Our house is so busy Xmas morning with all the visitors anyway so another little one wouldnt really matter.

Im trying to talk myself into doing it, just got hubby to convince(sp)
    Fiona xx

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fionamal View Post
    I think its easy money as shes a wee darling and you dont even know shes here and my daughter loves her to bits .

It would be a 7.30am start until 4pm . We would be up anyway and she would be away home before we have dinner as we could have it at 4pm instead of 3.30. Our house is so busy Xmas morning with all the visitors anyway so another little one wouldnt really matter.

Im trying to talk myself into doing it, just got hubby to convince(sp)
    i think i would just invite mum to join us too but then that's waht i do anyway
    i am always ending up with people just staying for meals as they arrive as we're about to eat.

one of my mindees was late being picked up and we decided to give her tea, mum arrived as we were starting so we just plated some up for her too, she was thrilled and lo loved sitting with me, my hubby and her mum too

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That thought had crossed my mind too
    Fiona xx

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got 3 weeks to sort it out or for the mum to sort it out with her family aswell.

Who knows, it might all change in a couple of weeks and im worrying for nothing.
    Fiona xx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

honestly if I had been asked from the last baby I looked after I would say yes in a shot

I really do think for me it depends on the family (I am very close to my last mindies family, and am going over to see them in germany in new year, we became great friends )

I would say yes, as much as hubby would say no, it is a hard fact of live, some of us have to work, up until this year (as mum started uni in Sept) my mum has always worked over xmas, and tbh we just made a day of it when she was off does that make sense?)

hope you do whats best for you though hun xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My DH would hit the roof. He says i am money grabbing as it is. But no my family would have to come first.

Also if you were minding you could not even on christmas day have a drink. What would happen if there was an accident you could not drive and even if you got an ambulance if someone smelt alcohol on you then it would be big trouble.

Sorry to be a downer on this but if anyone does mind christmas day then they must do it properly and that means no alcohol.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

It would totally depend on the child and my families feelings about it.

If the child would fit in to the day easily and be a pleasure rather than a problem and my husband was fine with it, then I would do it.

I love xmas and xmas is best when there are lots of kids about! What happened to a bit of Chrismas Spirit. If this little girl will enjoy her first Christmas with you more than anyone else, and mum is grateful that you are going above and beyond the call of duty, why not???

I would charge double time and make it clear that it is a one off. Go for it.

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

have to admit i would most probably do it as I am a big softy.
    my own children are grown up now so it might be nice to have a little one here.
    my own would be alright about it not not sure about hubby though.

i only have the odd glass of wine now and again so its no problem to go with out

Cathy

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There would be no force in Heaven or Earth that would make me work xmas day! Gosh my whole day would be full of cooking and preparing, and for drinking lots of barcardi.
    My kiddies need me all to themselves on xmas day.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as my family were ok with it I would, poor kid. But definatley charge EXTRA for it. Double bubble!!!!!

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

IF the child is easy to look after then YES i would do it.

I have 2 kids myself aged 12 and almost 9 but it still wouldn't make a difference to me, as they'd probably enjoy playing with the LO

i don't drink anyway so alcohol isn't an issue

and i'd definatly charge £10 per hour

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont drink so that would be no problem. But no amount of money would make me work. I think my family deserve me to themselves at least one day a year. I dont think they would talk to me if i said i was working.

The children come into our room at 8 and sit on the end of our beds to open their stockings, then we get up for breakfast. Could not do that if i had to answer the door to parents, mindee could not be there while DH and i were in bed.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast