Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice re holding space

Hi

I have a parent asking for childcare for next year. Do you charge to hold a space? Looking at March time. I know some charge and then refund. But If I hold and charge half fees I will be looking at around £1000.00 to be refunded if I did this that's like 3 months fees. I know the family as currently caring for a family member and I'm happy to hold space without any charge at the moment. Can afford to do this at the moment and not looking at filling the space either at this time. However I was thinking of charging £50.00 non refundable for Jan and Feb. Just to hold space and to cover myself.

What do you all do ?

Thank you x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In situations like that I charge a £100 non-refundable deposit that holds the space until an agreed date. The deposit is then deducted from the first month's fee. The only time I'll do it though is if I know I'll have a space becoming available when it's needed (ie. a child leaving when the new one is due to start). I won't do it if I have a space I want to fill now, or might want to fill sooner. In those cases I tell parents to get in touch nearer the time.

3. Likes loocyloo, It's a small world liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd just ask them to hold on until 12 wks before start. Pacey contracts say they should not be done before 12 wks. Anything could happen- you may be happy to leave the space open at the moment but what if another child unexpectedly leaves, you could be needing to take on another family quickly and need this space to allow for siblings or flexibility of days etc. Things happen, work changes, family circumstances change.
    I have done this before and we waited the few months- we just kept in touch to reassure each other we are still interested and at 12wks did contracts and a deposit as usual.

5. Likes It's a small world liked this post
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I'd just ask them to hold on until 12 wks before start. Pacey contracts say they should not be done before 12 wks. Anything could happen- you may be happy to leave the space open at the moment but what if another child unexpectedly leaves, you could be needing to take on another family quickly and need this space to allow for siblings or flexibility of days etc. Things happen, work changes, family circumstances change.
    I have done this before and we waited the few months- we just kept in touch to reassure each other we are still interested and at 12wks did contracts and a deposit as usual.
    January is 12weeks before. What deposit do you take and is it non refundable? Xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by It's a small world View Post
    January is 12weeks before. What deposit do you take and is it non refundable? Xx
    Depends on the size of the contract, but usually a deposit equal to 4 weeks fees and refunded when childcare place taken up.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

4 weeks deposit , kept until the child leaves ( covers against leaving without paying 4 weeks notice xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never entirely understood pacey's 12 week rule.

I’m taking enquiries for September 2020. There are now only two EY childminders in the village, and we both have waiting lists, so anyone wanting a place in 12 weeks around here can forget it.

OTOH some CMs I know in other parts of the county have the opposite problem. If they sent an enquirer away without a contract they’d lose the business. The parents would simply go to another setting who’d happily sign them up in advance.

I take a £50 non-refundable deposit, and return it once they’ve completed a full month here. I should probably take more. For me it’s not about lost potential earnings while a space lies vacant. It’s the cost and hassle of setting up visits, paperwork, etc. as well as the huge inconvenience of turning away other people then the 'client' doesn’t start.