Deposit not refunded and 30 hours a week
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Deposit not refunded and 30 hours a week

Hi all, I am in the process of registering to be a childminder but was wondering if I can ask you about this situation I am in with my son's now ex childminder please?

I was looking for a childminder in August and spoke to this lady (I found her on childcare.co.uk) and we discussed the 30 hours a week (my soni is 3 and entitled to it and I gave her the code) and we agreed that I would pay the difference between what the council pays (£4.50)and her fees (£6.50). She asked me to pay the total to her and she would reimburse what the council paid her to me. I paid her in full for September and October and my son wasn't happy there and cried every day asking not to go there so I handed notice in beginning of October and my son finished there after a month. I also paid her £200 deposit when my son first started there.

Now it seems that she didn't sign up to the council for the 30 hours (or so she has told me) and at the end of the October I emailed her with my bank details to refund the deposit and no word from her 2 weeks later. What should I do, any recommendations please?

Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Check your contract / fees policy - what does it say about refunding the deposit and giving notice?

If the childminder has not followed their own contract / policy you should write to them letting them know you will take further action if the money is not repaid.

You can, for example, go to the small claims court.

You will need evidence you have paid the money - the contract and fees policy etc - you might find it useful to take legal advice.

I hope that helps ... and that your cm registration goes well

3. Likes BlueSky liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also put all that in writing to your local authority.

5. Likes BlueSky liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is there any way you can check if she has had funding?

7. Likes BlueSky liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies, i didn't have any notification that there had been replies I'm new here and see the newest post on a thread at the top, any ideas if it is possible to see the newest post at the bottom?

I contacted my ex-childminder again and asked about the deposit and she refunded me so that was great but again silence about the 30 hours funding. I contacted my local authority and they asked me to email her with all the details they need and told me that I am eligible for the 30 hours funding for the 2 months my son was with her.

I emailed her the details in a very nice email and texted her to let her know I had sent the email. It's been a few weeks and silence. I followed up with my local authority to let them know and they haven't replied. I guess I will have to "let it go" but having paid £1320 to the childminder when I could have paid a lot less it is difficult to accept this...

Live and learn!