Sibling discounts how do you day no to parents?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sibling discounts how do you day no to parents?

Hi,

I am just interested in how you all word sorry no I don't offer sibling discounts to potential parents?

This is the first time I will be potential having siblings (twins 13 months), i only work with under 5's they want 1 day a week just under 10 hours a day.

Thanks in advance xxx

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have they actually asked for sibling discount?
    I'd simply say 'no, I do not offer a sibling discount'. No further explanation is needed as it is not negotiable or up for discussion (well, not here anyway!)

3. Likes bunyip, Ripeberry, Merlot, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also just say "Sorry, I don't do sibling discount". It's always worth them asking but if they are honest part of them will be expecting you to say no.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that as it's only one day a space and they are taking up 2 spaces preventing you from taking on a full time child that they are lucky you aren't charging them extra instead of wanting to pay less - I only give sibling discount if I start looking after a sibling baby that takes me to 4 children under COC as they aren't taking up a space.

6. Likes Mouse, SYLVIA, Maza liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont offer less than 100% care to the sibllng , therefore i dont charge less than 100% of my fee.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I only give sibling discount if I start looking after a sibling baby that takes me to 4 children under COC as they aren't taking up a space.
    Same here. I have a baby sibling due to start next September and they'll come to me under CoC. I'll offer a small discount for any times that I have both children here. The older child may do some nursery sessions, so there won't be a discount on those days.

For any new families, or any siblings that take me to my 3 under 5s, I just say I don't offer a discount.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only been asked once before, by an awful parent who clearly wanted the world for free. I said did she want half the level of care and half the amount of food then? Luckily she didn't want to take up the places

10. Likes BallyH, Maza, Ripeberry, hectors house liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KateA View Post
    Hi,

I am just interested in how you all word sorry no I don't offer sibling discounts to potential parents?

This is the first time I will be potential having siblings (twins 13 months), i only work with under 5's they want 1 day a week just under 10 hours a day.

Thanks in advance xxx
    I do offer a small discount to families who have 2 children BOTH attending for over 28 hrs a week/ minimum 8 hrs a day. (A couple of £ a day) But the moment one child does less hours, then both are charged normal fee.

I have no trouble explaining to the parents as they can see there is a discount, and it has encouraged parents do more hours than they originally planned!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't offer a discount my hourly rate is set on what I need to earn over the year, if I offered a discount then I'd need to put up the hourly rate so wouldn't be any cheaper for you .

Post Thanks / Like

I cared for siblings for a while and they were much more hard work than any other family so I would think hard about taking siblings on again. I luckily didnt offer a discount and good job too as they created way more stress with them together than individually!

14. Likes Ripeberry, FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really am amazed that a sibling discount ever came in as an option.
    Why would a parent think that if you had two from the same family would mean you are charged less for one?
    The second sibling takes up a place, you give both children equal attention....

I expect this came about because childminder's were very nice, happy that they had filled a place in one swell scoop....
    Felt for the family having to pay so much.....

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I really am amazed that a sibling discount ever came in as an option.
    Why would a parent think that if you had two from the same family would mean you are charged less for one?
    The second sibling takes up a place, you give both children equal attention....

I expect this came about because childminder's were very nice, happy that they had filled a place in one swell scoop....
    Felt for the family having to pay so much.....
    I was given a sibling discount when I had 2 children in nursery. In those days (25 years ago) it was usual to have a discount and applied at all the nurseries I looked at.

Then, when I started childminding, the norm was a 50% discount for a second child!

I don't even think it's that unusual these days for parents to expect a discount. A lot of activity clubs here offer a discount for more than one child and if you buy a family ticket for somewhere you're getting a discount for there being more than one of you. I have no problem at all with parents asking for a sibling discount...as long as they have no problem with me saying no!

17. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to offer discount when I first started childminding to get the business. I found that siblings are the hardest so don't discount anymore and haven't done for a long time. They really are a pain together! I always say I should charge double for siblings as they're double trouble!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never done sibling discount for reasons pre mentioned by others, I also don't do free settling in sessions or reduced night time care.