Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fee for holding a place?

Hi all,

I am newly started back to childminding and I have never had this come up before. I have been approached by an expecting Mum to look after her baby either from July or September 2017, currently I have the space but obviously may not come the time. What do others charge if they do in this situation to hold the place?

Thank you

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can't do anything until baby is born ...

I normally ask parents to contact me nearer the time and then I'll see what spaces we have - the one time I held a space I was let down...

I knew I should have said 'no'

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As Sarah said, you can't do anything until baby is born.
    I wouldn't save a place- unless they are willing to pay 100% fees (!!) I would be losing money every single month until they started, why should I do that when I need every one of my EYFS places to be earning me my income?
    The only circumstance might be if I had chosen to cut back on work and have only 1-2 EYFS children and therefore not mind keeping a place empty... but even then who knows what anyone's circumstances will be that far in the future- anything could happen (redundancy/life-changing events/moving house/illness/family circumstances...) so they could end up letting you down or you could end up letting them down.

Aug 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah and Moggy that has been a great help, I didn't know what was 'normal' is this situation. Of course I am hoping I would't have a space available that whole time. Thank you again!