I currently work from 7.30-6.30. I'm wanting to reduce my hours to 8-6. The 8am start is fine for all my parents and most of my children finish at 5.30. However, I do have one family that finishes at 6.30 for the occasional time they are both working. Most weeks one of the parents is either at home or finished by 5pm at the latest. I've spoken to them explaining I want to change their contracts but on the occasions when they are working late I am prepared to have the children for longer to accommodate them providing they give me a weeks notice. Mum said don't you want to work til that time - answer "No!" I also have a family and I find that they are always a couple of minutes late when they're both at home and they live on the same street which really annoys me. I know it's non of my business what parents do if I'm paid for looking after their child but it's because they pay they like to get their moneys worth out of me! They can be home at 4pm and turn up at 6.33 and not 6.29 then want to stand and talk for 15 mins. I'm getting later and later and don't want the hassle.

Do you think my request is unreasonable? I don't but mum seems to think I'm being awkward with her even when I've explained my situation. My fear is I change their contract and they say they want me until 6.30 every week! I just don't get why parents never want to pick their kids up! All my other children have gone by 5.30 and these kids keep saying "When's mum coming?" as they've seen her come home!