Help with Fees for 13 hr day for 2 y.o. Please :)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Fees for 13 hr day for 2 y.o. Please :)

Hi Everyone!

I have parents coming round tonight and need advice on how to charge. Its for a 2 y.o and it would be every Monday for 13 hrs. 7:30am - 8:30 pm. I have a 3 y.o Monday - Saturday, so I wouldn't be taking on any other under 5's on a Monday. All my kids are Term Time only and over 8, so all good there.

Question is though, how do I go about charging because I wouldn't be able to take on an under 5 on a Monday and I would have to fill in an under 5 Tuesday-Friday..or any variation of that. So, do I charge a min week amount of hrs or just the 13hr she needs me? And then try to fill in the space around that child...What sounds fair and how would other childminders charge this?
    Do I charge a months deposit to keep till end of contract? (I've been mucked around on several occasions with parents leaving without ending contracts properly and been left with fees owed by many parents.) And then weekly or monthly fees in advance i'm thinking...Is this normal, as I don't want to scare parents off..Also Bank Holidays normally fall on a Monday so how much to charge x hr for that? I don't mind working them if needed, but how much is fair?
    Thanks in advance for all your advice!
    Laura
    Last edited by lknight1976; 20-07-2016 at 09:11 AM.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would only charge for the one day , its 'normal' to fill the week with part-timers as opposed to one full time contract.
    My fee would be my daily rate from 730-6 , then 2 1/2 hours at time and a half for unsociable hours 6-830.
    I close and therefore dont charge on bank holidays. I know others charge double time if the child attends , and single time if they dont.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I only charge for the hours they do, I currently have one who is only here on Mondays. After 6 I charge a higher rate so would incorporate that. I don't charge for bank holidays as I'm not willing to work them. 13 hours is a decent time to have one child, I like many others fill hours with part timers. I don't think I'd get business if I started charging them extra time due to it only being one day

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I charge for the hours they do too. I am full in Septmber and not one is doing a full week, all part-time. I prefer part-time as you do not loose so much money if they leave. I was full at Easter but 3 started school, I have 2 babies starting in September.

I charge my core hours at £3.50ph, 8-6, so would be another 3 hours at £5 ph here.

If I don't want to work a bank holiday I charge nothing. If I am willing to work and am not needed I charge normal contracted rate. If I am needed to work I charge £5 per hour all day.

Taking a deposit and holding until the last payment is a good idea. Also always payment in advance.

Good luck x

jan 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies! Really appreciate it.
    I did only quote the 13 hrs and no charge for bank holidays as they don't need them. And did say about the month deposit and month advance payment. This is the first time parents understood why this is how it is done and were fine with it. Wish all parents were so great. Thanks again!