Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dury duty fees and charges

I have been asked to go along for duty this coming month.
    However I have not a clue what to do for my fees for the month of May?
    I don't know how many days if any I will not be working & not sure how I claim this back from the court being self employed.

Has anyone ever been in this situation and what did you do
    My thought was to charge for May and then in June take off what I didn't work and claim it back that way rather then trying to guess.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You can be excused jury duty if you're a childminder, so if it doesn't fit in with you or your families I would get yourself excused.

Would your families be able to make other arrangements if you're not working? Can they make plans even though they wouldn't know how long it was for? From a parent's point of view I wouldn't want to be charged for time in May when you know you're not going to be available and when they might also be having to pay for alternative childcare.

3. Likes loocyloo, bunyip liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You can be excused jury duty if you're a childminder, so if it doesn't fit in with you or your families I would get yourself excused.

Would your families be able to make other arrangements if you're not working? Can they make plans even though they wouldn't know how long it was for? From a parent's point of view I wouldn't want to be charged for time in May when you know you're not going to be available and when they might also be having to pay for alternative childcare.
    Is that different in England that Northern Ireland as I could not use it to be excused when I was called
    Tess1981

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to get through to them but been unable
    Annoying as the cost you claim back from court will not even begin to cover what I lose in earnings which is a major headache
    All to potentially sit and listen to someone criminal activities 😴

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    Annoying as the cost you claim back from court will not even begin to cover what I lose in earnings which is a major headache
    All to potentially sit and listen to someone criminal activities 😴
    EEK!

If you do end up sitting on a jury, don't ever say that last sentence within a million miles of court, as they'll take it you've assumed guilt before hearing evidence.

Keep trying to get hold of the court. Can you take time to go and see the jury bailiff at the court premises before you're due to attend?

At worst, if you have to go on the first day, you can speak with the jury bailiff and request to be excused. IME, jury service is usually set to run for about 2 weeks, but it can never be certain (just look at The People vs OJ Simpson, or the Hillsborough inquest.)

That means you can claim that serving will lead to undue disruption to your business and all your clients' jobs, so I would expect them to excuse you.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    All to potentially sit and listen to someone criminal activities ?de34
    I was under the impression you claimed for what you would have earned... so if a parent was booking in for say 25 hours that week and another for 15 hours etc and you cannot commit to the hours you claim for these hours as parent had to leave child with someone else while you on jury duty....
    Tess1981

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    I was under the impression you claimed for what you would have earned... so if a parent was booking in for say 25 hours that week and another for 15 hours etc and you cannot commit to the hours you claim for these hours as parent had to leave child with someone else while you on jury duty....
    Unfortunately there is a limit to what you can claim:

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim

And some more information here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...employed-carer

9. Likes ChildcareCate liked this post