Going on holiday a week after starting, should I charge the family?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going on holiday a week after starting, should I charge the family?

Hi,

I'm in the process of taking on a toddler but the family have told me they will be going on a 4 week holiday a week after he is due to start.
    My first concern is he would of just started settling in and then he will have to leave.
    Also I have stated in my fees policy that if the child goes on holiday then I would still expect normal payment. But because its so close to them signing and for 4 weeks I feel a bit guilty asking for it. Could I just charge them for a week on a temporary contract? I'm a new childminder and this is my first contract.
    Does anyone have any advice please?

Many Thanks

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would probably just suggest that we start the official contract after the holiday and do 'settling' visits for that week. I may consider charging a retainer fee for the month.
    Is child transferring from another setting in that parents can go awayn for a month after just after starting?

3. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

With my very first mindee she also did a week with me and then went on holiday. It was only for a week though. I charged her and it was no problem. Do they know what your policy is on holiday fees? They might not be phased by it and are expecting to pay for the month that they are away. Can you afford to be without a wage for a month? Is it fair of them to expect you to? Maybe tell them that as a goodwill gesture you will only charge them for three weeks, but it is entirely up to you. x

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, the grandma has been looking after him for the last year so the mum could back to work full time. But the grandma is moving to the same place as the family but a week earlier. I guess I could extend the settling in period, thanks for your reply

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Start the contract from the time they come back.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

7. Likes Happy17 liked this post