anyone avail for quick advice? late collection due to car breaking down
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jun 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone avail for quick advice? late collection due to car breaking down

I expect everyone is working (little one is asleep here) . Just wondering how I should charge for this situation. Little one meant to be being collected at 1 but parent car has broken down on way here. Expected a couple of hours later now.

Would you just charge at the normal rate for the extra time or charge late collection policy fees?

Thanks.

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's a genuine emergency then I either wouldn't charge at all or just charge the normal hourly rate but that's just me
    Toothfairy

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a one-off, unavoidable and kind of an emergency, so would not charge at all. I'd be happy to be able to help, I bet the parent is stressed enough.
    If parents had a habit of this kind of thing I might think differently!

Once a parent locked themselves out of their own house, I was happy to help have LO for the extra time it took to sort it out. I have lovely families who would help me out too if I was in need.

4. Likes Maza, Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's a genuine emergency non-avoidable situation then I would just charge my usual rate as extra but I expect to be kept fully uptodate as to what's happening. If a parent doesn't bother to contact me and just thinks it's okay to arrive late then they get charged my higher late collection rate. I had a very late mum collecting on Friday evening. Actually granny was sent to collect, mum was stuck in traffic as the motorway had been shut. She did keep me up to date with the situation. I will only charge my standard rate for that although granny picked up just as I was closing and off to take my DS for his swimming training which is not at all local to here. If I had had the inconvenience of having to take this child there with me I would have charged my higher rate which is calculated every 15mins so it would have been a very expensive evening for mum.

xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Same as Toothfairy. If you have a good relationship with the parents and if this is a genuine one-off then I would probably not charge anything, or I would charge my normal fee.

Most of my parents have done favours for me at one time or another, so a good will gesture goes a long way

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Same as Toothfairy. If you have a good relationship with the parents and if this is a genuine one-off then I would probably not charge anything, or I would charge my normal fee.

Most of my parents have done favours for me at one time or another, so a good will gesture goes a long way
    See it's the opposite in my situation. I have done so many favours for parents and bent over backwards for certain people and then when I actually could do with a little favour myself, does it happen? NO. Which is why after everything that's happened over the past 6 weeks I am no longer doing favours for anyone and I am putting myself first in all situations . Had enough of being a mug.

Sorry, please ignore my ranting lol

xxx

8. Likes Maza, vintagechick liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a teacher parent who regularly gets locked in the school (no kidding!) in the evening. She has to march around the building, trying to find the cleaners to let her out! So ends up at mine 15-30 mins late each time. That excuse is wearing a bit thin though
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    I have a teacher parent who regularly gets locked in the school (no kidding!) in the evening. She has to march around the building, trying to find the cleaners to let her out! So ends up at mine 15-30 mins late each time. That excuse is wearing a bit thin though

I have a similar one, she was late every day last year but has been even later this year, says its because she's now in a different classroom and she always uses the time the cleaner gets to her room as her cue to leave and now the cleaner is later to the new room so she's later here!!! Never an apology either

Post Thanks / Like

I would charge just normal fees.
    I use my 'late fee' as more if a deterrent, I allow a 15 min window for lateness but must be contacted within that time to let me know they are late.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizduncan72 View Post
    I have a similar one, she was late every day last year but has been even later this year, says its because she's now in a different classroom and she always uses the time the cleaner gets to her room as her cue to leave and now the cleaner is later to the new room so she's later here!!! Never an apology either
    Unbelievable! (I believe you, btw!)